Applying for Residency Permits

How to obtain a residency permit in the Czech Republic Staff

Written by Staff Published on 07.02.2006 18:41:58 (updated on 07.02.2006) Reading time: 4 minutes

Written by Boban Stamenkovic

Since 1 May 2004 – the date of entry of the Czech Republic into the European Union – EU nationals are no longer obliged to apply for a residency permit if they intend to stay more than 90 days in the territory of the Czech Republic. However, according to article 87a) of law no. 326/1999 concerning the stay of foreigners, they are entitled to apply for a special EU residency permit. It means that if an EU national wants to live in the Czech Republic, (s)he need not have a residency permit. However, some Czech authorities require the residency permit for other purposes (for instance, buying a property, issuing a czech driving licence and so on).

There are two types of special EU residency permits: a temporary (or short-term) residency permit which is valid for 5 years and a permanent residency permit valid for 10 years. Individuals carrying out business activities in the Czech Republic (sole traders, executive officers and shareholders) are entitled to apply directly for the permanent residency permit. Employees can only initially obtain the temporary residency permit, but after 3 years of continuous stay in the Czech territory, they can also apply for a permanent residency permit.

The applicant must present the following:
1) passport
2) 2 passport-sized photographs
3) document proving the purpose of stay

The document proving purpose of stay can be any of the following depending on the circumstances of the applicant:

work contract(if the applicant is an employee)
trade licence (if the applicant is a sole trader)
extract from the commercial register or eventually a notary record showing the name of the applicant as an executive officer or shareholder.

Family members of the applicant are eligible to obtain the same type of residency permit (temporary or permanent). As confirmation of their purpose of stay, they must provide a marriage certificate (in case of wife or husband) or birth certificates (for the children). If applying for a temporary residency permit, they must additionally provide proof of health insurance coer that is valid in the Czech Republic and an affidavit saying they have enough financial means to avoid being an uncessary burden on the Czech health care system. For children, this affidavit must be signed by the parent.

The application must be submitted at the Foreign policeaccording to the place of residency of the applicant. The application can be made by proxy, however the permit the permit must be collected in person.

The maximum period for the registration process is 180 days according to the law, but in practice the process takes about 2 months.

NON-EU Nationals

If NON-EU nationals intend to stay in the Czech republic more than 90 days consecutively or if they want to exercise business activities or work, then must apply for a long-term visa.

The applicant of a visa must produce:

1) passport
2) 3 passport-sized photographs
3) proof of purpose of stay
4) proof of sufficiant financial means
5) proof of address of residence in the Czech Republic
6) proof of good character
7) proof of health insurance


Point (3), proof of purpose of stay – this can be, for instance, a trade licence / notary record of appointment as an executive officer or share holder / extract from Commercial register.
Point (4), proof of financial means – this need is not required for employees.
Point (7), proof of health insurance – this document need not to be produced until the visa is collected at the embassy.

Once the visa is issued, it is necessary to visit the foreign police (which can be done on the basis of a power of attorney) to stamp the visa in your passport.

Familly members of the applicant are also eligible to obtain a long term visa. For confirmation of purpose of stay, they must produce a marriage certificate (in case of wife or husband) or birth certificates (for the children).

The initial application must be submitted in person at a Czech embassy abroad. The nearest embassy is in Dresden (approximately 150 km from Prague). Other embassies not far from Prague are in Vienna and Bratislava (approximately 300 km from Prague). The Foreign police who authorize the issue of visas by the embassy, must pass a decision within 180 days, but in practice the registration process takes approximately 2-3 months.

If you require assistance or advice on any of the above matters for yourself or your foreign staff, please feel free to contact us on Our telephone number is +420 222 314 101 or email us on

ETHER Consulting s.r.o. is an
independent company that was established with the sole objective of providing a
one-stop service aimed at small and medium sized companies as well as
individuals interested in either establishing a business presence or acquiring
real estate in the CzechRepublic. We can also assist foreign
direct investment
clients in the search for local business partners as well
as provide other services relevant in any acquisition or joint-venture deal
depending on your financing requirements.


For further
information, please refer to our web site on or contact Mr Boban Stamenkovic on
+420 222 314 101, or send an email to We would be only too pleased to
hear from you.

Would you like us to write about your business? Find out more