Czech news in brief for August 17: Monday's top afternoon headlines

President signs CZK 50,000 parental allowance bump, government moves to shutter Eurocenters, Czech state galleries free every first Sunday.

Expats.cz Staff ČTK

Written by Expats.cz StaffČTK Published on 17.08.2026 17:06:00 (updated on 17.08.2026) Reading time: 2 minutes

  • President signs CZK 50,000 parental allowance bump
  • Government moves to shutter Eurocenters
  • Czech state galleries free every first Sunday
  • Over 100 sick in outbreak at Czech spa
  • Meal voucher firms hit with massive fine

This afternoon's top story

President signs CZK 50,000 parental allowance bump

President Petr Pavel signed a government amendment raising the parental allowance from CZK 350,000 to 400,000 starting next year, applying only to children born on or after January 1, 2027. Multiple births see a jump from CZK 700,000 to 800,000.

Also signed: Changes to the "super benefit" housing assistance take effect in October, basing payouts on district-level costs rather than population and extending single-parent protections to families with kids up to 15, up from seven.

Government moves to shutter Eurocenters

The Czech government is set to scrap its two-decade-old framework for communicating with citizens about the EU, a move that includes closing the Eurocenters, regional offices that run roughly 1,300 public events a year, from school lectures to library talks. The replacement concept, due by year's end, leans toward digital and social media outreach, though the Government Office hasn't specified what current communication failed to do.

Worth watching: Three regional Eurocenters share office space with Europe Direct centers, which get partial EU funding, their fate, and continued Commission money through 2030 is now in question pending talks at the end of August.

Czech state galleries free every first Sunday

Culture Minister Oto Klempír (Motorists) confirmed state galleries and museums will open free of charge on the first Sunday of each month beginning September 6, extending a pilot that ran this spring. The list includes major Prague and Brno institutions along with regional museums; private galleries aren't covered.

Also free: State castles and chateaus (over 100 sites nationwide) get their own free days on August 30 and September 27.

More top headlines

Over 100 sick in outbreak at Czech spa

The Olomouc Regional Health Station has logged 111 cases of acute vomiting, diarrhea and abdominal pain among clients at the Priessnitz Spa since August 7, with six people hospitalized. The source hasn't been identified; hygienists are testing food-handling staff and monitoring the situation while the spa stays open.

Guests say: Some visitors described overwhelmed staff and long waits for care over the weekend; the spa's commercial director asked the public not to spread panic while measures are in place.

Meal voucher firms hit with massive fine

The antitrust office confirmed CZK 280 million crowns in fines against Edenred, Pluxee and Up for coordinating restrictions on meal voucher purchases at retail chains from 2004 to 2018. Two of the three companies say they'll fight the ruling in court, though the fines are payable regardless of appeal.

Daily poll results: Most readers have never tried bringing their own container for takeaway food or drinks, with 69 percent of 225 respondents choosing that option. Among those who have tried, 20 percent said they had never been refused, while 6 percent said they had been turned away. Another 5 percent said they don't use reusable cups.

Did you miss the morning edition of this news update? Read it here

Did you like this article?

Want to see more from us? Select Expats.cz as a preferred source on Google.