Unmarked police cars with radar

I got another ticket to add to the collection but this one was very sly indeed. Out in Prague East a blue skoda fabia was up my ass for about 2 km's. Very annoying. When we got onto the D5 to prague I though I would lose him only to find he was flooring it. After about 2 kms I pulled over to let him pass but then he stuck one of the red/white police sticks out for me to pull over. There was a "policie" sticker on the side that was made with a photocopier. As I drive a pricey car I started to think it looked well dodgy and so did the wife. We decided not to stop as the guys were laughing and it looked like a wind up or a car jacking. They continued to persue, so we rang 158 and asked if the police used dodgy unmarked cars like this. "of course, why wouldn't we" So we pulled over, 2500 czk fine. Interestingly they added the wrong date on the ticket "09/07/07" Wondering if I can get off on a technicality :) Anyway here are the pics.

20:32:57 09.05.2007 maxd

Swines! They got my wife the other day doing 70km in a village. Her fault really, but what gets me is they dont have to prove it to you (like in the UK) by showing a video or radar reading, its just their word against yours. She got 2500 KCs fine and points.

20:56:39 09.05.2007 richh

Quote: richhits just their word against yours.

No exactly, you can contest it. Then it will go to court and they will have to provide proof. It will, of course, cost you a hell of a lot more. At the end of the day, if you don't want to get done for speeding, don't speed. D.C.

21:04:15 09.05.2007 Dean Court

Or at the beginning of the day, either.

21:05:04 09.05.2007 Aquarius

Good point Aqua! :) And I'd like to add to my original post, the speeders should consider themselves lucky that it was only a 2500 CzK fine, people are killed everyweek due to excessive speed. D.C.

21:05:40 09.05.2007 Dean Court

Quote: Dean CourtNo exactly, you can contest it. Then it will go to court and they will have to provide proof. D.C.

thank god for that, I was getting worried!! Though as you say dont speed if you want to be sure.

21:05:47 09.05.2007 Jay D

At the time they catch you, you can ask for proof. In this case they had screenshots. For me it was more how they entrapped me by driving dangerously close behind my bumper to make me want to get away from them. They were in their early 20's and for them it was a laugh really, they enjoyed the whole show. I never get angry infront of them anymore. I just smile and take the ticket.

21:14:52 09.05.2007 maxd

Quote: Dean CourtGood point Aqua! :) And I'd like to add to my original post, the speeders should consider themselves lucky that it was only a 2500 CzK fine, people are killed everyweek due to excessive speed. D.C.

Those people should really stop popping the damn pills, though.

22:37:59 09.05.2007 dwinkel

i got stopped yesterday at the start of the highway to brno.... i was doing 160 .. pulled over by an unmarked car shouting at me that the speed limit was 80 and the 130 speed limit started in another 5 kliks... i have foreign plates .. gave him my uk licence and passport .. argued back for 15 mins that it was a F'ing highway .. and he gave me my docs back and said drive on, dont do it again thats a bloody first for me..... i already emptied my wallet into back pocket leaving just 500 ck for preparation cizi cops :) I salute you

00:01:29 10.05.2007 Ron Jeremy's Protege

Quote: maxdI got another ticket to add to the collection but this one was very sly indeed. Out in Prague East a blue skoda fabia was up my ass for about 2 km's. Very annoying. When we got onto the D5 to prague I though I would lose him only to find he was flooring it. After about 2 kms I pulled over to let him pass but then he stuck one of the red/white police sticks out for me to pull over. There was a "policie" sticker on the side that was made with a photocopier. As I drive a pricey car I started to think it looked well dodgy and so did the wife. We decided not to stop as the guys were laughing and it looked like a wind up or a car jacking. They continued to persue, so we rang 158 and asked if the police used dodgy unmarked cars like this. "of course, why wouldn't we" So we pulled over, 2500 czk fine. Interestingly they added the wrong date on the ticket "09/07/07" Wondering if I can get off on a technicality :) Anyway here are the pics.

Sad ****er - you can teach monkeys to drive and the monkey cops will always catch you. on yer bike son.

02:02:20 10.05.2007 meddo

Quote: Ron Jeremy's Protegei got stopped yesterday at the start of the highway to brno.... i was doing 160 .. pulled over by an unmarked car shouting at me that the speed limit was 80 and the 130 speed limit started in another 5 kliks... i have foreign plates .. gave him my uk licence and passport .. argued back for 15 mins that it was a F'ing highway .. and he gave me my docs back and said drive on, dont do it again thats a bloody first for me..... i already emptied my wallet into back pocket leaving just 500 ck for preparation cizi cops :) I salute you

yes in Prague it's 80 until you reach the motorway signs just past the Seberov/Chodov exit. Before that you're still in the city, and yes, the limit is 80 (coming INTO the city, it's 100 until just before you reach Jizni spojka). Even less now with the construction (60 at the Chodov mall exit). So, sorry, no sympathy for you, cuz it's well marked. With all the cameras going up in the city, it's not worth risking speeding anymore...they definitely work...husband has gotten tickets based on the cameras already....

06:25:25 10.05.2007 Jen

I had an argument with a cop about whether or not I ran a red light. It was obviously green when I went through and the cop was on the opposite side of the intersection (one-way street) where he had no clear view of the light at all. He said I could contest, but if so, I'd have to surrender my drivers license to him on the spot until after the court's decision.

08:16:06 10.05.2007 gomer

The fines are irrelevant, the point is speeding gets people killed every week. Wonder how long it'll be before an idiot on this board who has boasted about getting away with speeding ends up in a box or in court for causing death by dangerous driving. Idiots! D.C.

08:45:02 10.05.2007 Dean Court

Quote: Dean CourtThe fines are irrelevant, the point is speeding gets people killed every week. Wonder how long it'll be before an idiot on this board who has boasted about getting away with speeding ends up in a box or in court for causing death by dangerous driving. Idiots! D.C.

I agree - I've seen people here boast about getting away with drunk driving as well. Sickening. I believe thought that there are different categories of speeders... ...like the a$$holes who don't care about the children who live and play in the villages (funny, most people don't speed in their own village) or those who ride your bumper and drive recklessly on the motorway... but then there are the people who get nailed leaving the motorway because they failed to decellerate from 130 to 60 in the allocated 150 meters - but the cops sit there because that's where the real money is made.

09:22:28 10.05.2007 gomer

Quote: gomerbut then there are the people who get nailed leaving the motorway because they failed to decellerate from 130 to 60 in the allocated 150 meters - but the cops sit there because that's where the real money is made.

some things come quicker from the UK dont they ;) Everyday I think I have had to brake through someone jumping out 2 metres ahead with no warning and no better on the motorway, I'm sure I will adapt :rolleyes:

09:26:15 10.05.2007 Jay D

Quote: gomerI agree - I've seen people here boast about getting away with drunk driving as well. Sickening. I believe thought that there are different categories of speeders... ...like the a$$holes who don't care about the children who live and play in the villages (funny, most people don't speed in their own village) or those who ride your bumper and drive recklessly on the motorway...

indeed they don't speed in their own villages...i've been tailgated a zillion times here in Popo cuz I'm doing 50 or less (we have one section of our main drag through town that's 40)

but then there are the people who get nailed leaving the motorway because they failed to decellerate from 130 to 60 in the allocated 150 meters - but the cops sit there because that's where the real money is made.

easier to catch, for sure... :D

09:33:51 10.05.2007 Jen

Max, I'd be more worried that your "As I drive a pricey car" could not out run a standard Skoda Fabia!!! :)

09:36:57 10.05.2007 UK007

Heh, only traffic would have stopped me + I pulled over to let him have his moment of glory after I got away from him. My wife actually told me that they banned the undercover guys because the public regarded it as too sneaky. I can see why now. I might just get a radar detector now to know when they are about.

09:47:05 10.05.2007 maxd

As I drive a pricey car Being in the motor trade, we know there is a distinction between 'pricey' car drivers and 'pricey' car owners.... I am sure you belong in the latter category, maxd:D

10:03:49 10.05.2007 mrypg9

Quote: maxd I might just get a radar detector now to know when they are about.

I thought they were illegal here? I used to have a snooper in the UK for the copper behind the bush trap, if I got caught by a gatso then it would be my fault (not that I speed intentially, always got either the missus or daughter in the car)

10:05:18 10.05.2007 Jay D

Quote: Jay DI thought they were illegal here?

They are, but maxd shows almost everytime he posts that he considers himself above the law. D.C.

10:06:30 10.05.2007 Dean Court

Quote: Dean CourtThey are, but maxd shows almost everytime he posts that he considers himself above the law. D.C.

Bless. Whilst looking for alarms though I have seen anti-radar things for sale, how can they sell them if you cant (or shouldnt) use them, if they are illegal surely selling them is illegal also?

11:14:11 10.05.2007 Jay D

Quote: Jay DBless. Whilst looking for alarms though I have seen anti-radar things for sale, how can they sell them if you cant (or shouldnt) use them, if they are illegal surely selling them is illegal also?

in many countries all over the world it is indeed perfectly legal to buy or sell them but illegal to use them.

21:31:15 10.05.2007 skotik

There have for at least a thousand years been wagon drivers impeded by pigs. Those with a pricey wagon hate to be impeded by cheap pigs and feel their liberty to roam at speed is unfairly curtailed. What's so important to get to market that you have to endanger yourself and others by cavalier disregard for restrictions? Why not enjoy the journey, take in the sights, look on an impediment to your journey as a welcome break to listen to that song, concerto or debate... and slow down. All that rushing around never did anybody any good. I never see the words on those little shrines: "He always wished he'd driven faster to close that special deal."

21:44:52 10.05.2007 odysseus

I once travelled with a German lady from Brno to Dresden. She speeded all the way, sometimes doing 170. It was such fun. I loved that exhiliration of speed. Why is all fun always either dangerous or immoral? :(

21:58:31 10.05.2007 Thora

If it weren't, everyone would do it. Like splashing in mud puddles... It's fun, until it's mundane. :)

22:13:14 10.05.2007 dwinkel

No fun is dangerous and immoral. Thinking that driving on public roads as fast as you can is dangerous and immoral. No fun. Unless you're drunk too, ho, ho. Set your sights higher for fun.

22:20:44 10.05.2007 odysseus

I am too scared to drive fast.

22:29:22 10.05.2007 Aquarius

I'm too scared to steal and too lazy to work

22:34:17 10.05.2007 odysseus

Quote: ThoraI once travelled with a German lady from Brno to Dresden. She speeded all the way, sometimes doing 170. It was such fun. I loved that exhiliration of speed. Why is all fun always either dangerous or immoral? :(

It is not in Germany if you are in the right part of the autobahn. I drove to brussels 3 weeks ago and went past a police car at 180 km/h and it was perfectly legal. Just goes to show morality is what the law says it should be.

22:43:46 10.05.2007 maxd

Fahr-, fahr-. fahr- auf der Autobahn. Well done, you're living the post-industrial dream. I, on the other hand, have passed space cruisers on the far side of Sirius. There I saw the holy face of God, who told me, against overwhelming opposition, to invade Iraq with a monkey. These moments will pass like tears in rain. I did my best. Good luck with your sneaky speed convictions.

23:10:06 10.05.2007 odysseus

Quote: odysseusFahr-, fahr-. fahr- auf der Autobahn. Well done, you're living the post-industrial dream. I, on the other hand, have passed space cruisers on the far side of Sirius. There I saw the holy face of God, who told me, against overwhelming opposition, to invade Iraq with a monkey. These moments will pass like tears in rain. I did my best. Good luck with your sneaky speed convictions.

Good luck with the LSD.

23:17:58 10.05.2007 maxd

Driving on the autobahn terrifies me (on the no speed limit parts). I'm not a slow driver, but those guys literally blow me out of the water. You're doing a simple pass, rearview mirror is totally clear, you get in the left lane and suddenly there's a Mercedes 5cm from your ass, flashing its lights. Unferkingbelievable. And I was driving a Bavorak, not something with a sewing machine engine.

23:18:28 10.05.2007 Jen

Quote: JenDriving on the autobahn terrifies me (on the no speed limit parts). I'm not a slow driver, but those guys literally blow me out of the water. You're doing a simple pass, rearview mirror is totally clear, you get in the left lane and suddenly there's a Mercedes 5cm from your ass, flashing its lights. Unferkingbelievable. And I was driving a Bavorak, not something with a sewing machine engine.

Their latest trick at night is to drive with no lights or sidelights only, then when you pull out to overtake, they put their full beam on and like you say are right up your arse, some kind of sick Autobahn game. Regards speed limits, the Autobahns are built for speed, most other motorways here and in other countries are not, hence speed limits, so you can't really compare driving there and here. To Maxd, I personally cannot abide anyone complaining about being done for speeding, you took the risk, you got caught, don't whinge about it, we don't care!!! Unmarked cars are commonplace in the UK, except they wouldn't even have a police sign on the side. You were lucky to get away with just a fine, the UK police probably would have arrested you for failing to stop too!

23:34:49 10.05.2007 vickyn

No, I am not complaining at all. Fair dos I got caught and will pay no worries. If you read it, it was the way they tailgated me for 2 kilometers deliberately on a country road to goad me into getting away and then fining me. They were young and stupid police officers and were giggling like a couple of teenagers. Hardly responsible police work.

23:39:49 10.05.2007 maxd

Quote: maxdThey were young and stupid police officers and were giggling like a couple of teenagers. Hardly responsible police work.

Who was more stupid, them for catching you out and being able to goad you, or you for getting drawn into it and getting caught for speeding.... My advice, not that you'll take it, if you are ever tailgated like that again, just take your foot off the accelerator (gas) and signal for them to pass when it is safe to do so. That is much safer.

23:47:18 10.05.2007 vickyn

"Good luck with the LSD." The London Spin Doctors? I prefer the MSP. Your Love Alone is Not Enough

23:51:01 10.05.2007 odysseus

Quote: skoba ukWe know.Just bragging.

Whatever tosspot

00:05:02 11.05.2007 maxd

Quote: JenDriving on the autobahn terrifies me . I'm not a slow driver, but those guys literally blow me out of the water. .

Do you know that an autobahn is not what you float down when on a barge holiday Jen?

02:12:37 11.05.2007 skinny

Quote: maxd If you read it, it was the way they tailgated me for 2 kilometers deliberately on a country road to goad me into getting away and then fining me.

Anyone with half a brain pulls over and lets tailgaters pass cos personally I'd rather have them in front of me. But a w@anker in a Porsche could never be seen to give way to a skoda! D.C.

07:59:32 11.05.2007 Dean Court

Quote: maxd I drove to brussels 3 weeks ago and went past a police car at 180 km/h and it was perfectly legal.

Oooooooooooooh! We're fecking impressed :rolleyes: You sad man. D.C.

08:00:55 11.05.2007 Dean Court

Quote: JenDriving on the autobahn terrifies me (on the no speed limit parts). I'm not a slow driver, but those guys literally blow me out of the water. You're doing a simple pass, rearview mirror is totally clear, you get in the left lane and suddenly there's a Mercedes 5cm from your ass, flashing its lights. Unferkingbelievable. And I was driving a Bavorak, not something with a sewing machine engine.

Ahh yes, this is how I feel every weekend driving the D1 in my Skoda 120!

08:39:30 11.05.2007 kiimas karu

Hence my remark "not something with a sewing machine engine" :D I still can't get over how many people do 80 on the highway (in newish cars)...even the trucks are going well over that. People driving that slowly are as hazardous as the people driving too fast...!! That said, I did borrow a tiny "shopping bag" car when my Espace was at the service, and you get an entirely new perspective on things driving a car with half the engine size you normally use!!

08:45:18 11.05.2007 Jen

This is getting a bit out of hand. Give maxd a break. He's probably a better driver than most of us and definitely has a better and safer car than mine. 170 on the highway is not exactly speeding. I did the trip to Munich at 260 km/h (German autobahn - I was a passenger and scared sh!tless), fast enough for airbags not to make any difference as they'd open long after your body has left the vehicle. However, even with kids in the car, with good road conditions and a well serviced vehicle, I admit I commonly do 160 km/h on the highway - they are considering increasing the limit to 160. The dangerous drivers are the truckers who do 90km/h in the passing lane and the tailgater's (which is not at all the same as a speeder)

08:54:30 11.05.2007 gomer

We won't see 160 much around here, though. Even out where we are, Gomer - well, maybe for a few km's before we get off the highway :) But it'd be for sure out past the Benesov exit...

08:58:41 11.05.2007 Jen

Quote: gomerThis is getting a bit out of hand. Give maxd a break. He's probably a better driver than most of us...

he certainly thinks so.

Quote: gomer170 on the highway is not exactly speeding.

it is.

Quote: gomer However, even with kids in the car, with good road conditions and a well serviced vehicle, I admit I commonly do 160 km/h on the highway - they are considering increasing the limit to 160.

why should kids in your car make any difference to your driving? you should also consider that any car you might crash into may well have 3 kids in it.

Quote: gomerThe dangerous drivers are the truckers who do 90km/h in the passing lane and the tailgater's (which is not at all the same as a speeder)

the tailgaters are usually speeders. that fact that truckers could be doing 90kph in the passing lane or skoda 120s can be travelling along the same road at 70kph is the reason why it is not safe (in my opinion) to be doing 160kph to 180kph on most roads here.

09:17:02 11.05.2007 skotik

Quote: JenWe won't see 160 much around here, though. Even out where we are, Gomer - well, maybe for a few km's before we get off the highway :) But it'd be for sure out past the Benesov exit...

Not 'till at least past the Esso station, then it opens up. I drive Prague-Bratislava-Budapest and back once or twice a month and usually keep to around 140, but it's easy to creep over without even realizing it.

09:17:43 11.05.2007 gomer

Quote: skotikthe tailgaters are usually speeders.

I think these are two separate issues Driving fast (up to say 170/175 on a dry road) is (arguably) something that can be done safely when the traffic is light and you're physically and mentally up to it. It's a judgment call - granted there are lots of dangerous drivers out there, but they are not defined by speed alone. Tailgating is dangerous at just about any speed.

09:24:03 11.05.2007 gomer

Quote: gomerI think these are two separate issues Driving fast (up to say 170/175 on a dry road) is (arguably) something that can be done safely when the traffic is light and you're physically and mentally up to it. It's a judgment call - granted there are lots of dangerous drivers out there, but they are not defined by speed alone. Tailgating is dangerous at just about any speed.

going by the amount of dangerous driving and the numbers of deaths on Czech roads I don't think we should leave it to be a judgement call. Judgement is something that a lot of the drivers are obviously seriously lacking. Hence there are speed limits.

09:26:39 11.05.2007 skotik

Quote: skotikHence there are speed limits.

Which they are currently debating increasing to 160 for the motorways

09:29:09 11.05.2007 gomer

Quote: gomerWhich they are currently debating increasing to 160 for the motorways

small sections of certain motorways. if they decide to do so then fine, it is not people's judgement call to decide to travel at 160 already in anticipation of changes.

09:32:10 11.05.2007 skotik

Quote: gomerNot 'till at least past the Esso station, then it opens up. I drive Prague-Bratislava-Budapest and back once or twice a month and usually keep to around 140, but it's easy to creep over without even realizing it.

My super-fancy car has a very handy feature...not only does it have the standard cruise control, it also has a speed limiter...you can set it to whatever speed and it won't let you go over that (it will let you go over by a few kph if it detects that you're really stepping on the accerator, like passing)...definitely a Good Thing.

09:35:57 11.05.2007 Jen

Quote: gomerThis is getting a bit out of hand. Give maxd a break. He's probably a better driver than most of us and definitely has a better and safer car than mine.

You are wrong, the better and more experienced driver will allow a tailgater to go past, not continue to accelerate away from them. And because he has a better and safer car, that makes it all alright? So we are safe in the knowledge that if he leaves the road or hits another car, he will be okay, sod the rest of us who can't afford the safer/better car eh? It's often the innocent parties that get seriously injured or killed and the idiots that get away with it. I spent a long time typing up stomach churning accident reports for solicitors to know this. Also, do they not have a points system here like in the UK? That might make people think twice, if you get done for speeding more than four times in the UK in 5 years, you will be banned from driving. I know people who have faced the Courts and lost their licence for some time, and it does work, it does slow them down. The minority of extreme speeders, will never slow down until they are dead themselves or kill someone else.

09:44:18 11.05.2007 vickyn

Quote: vickynAlso, do they not have a points system here like in the UK?

they have introduced a points system now but there isn't really the same emphasis on catching speeders here so less likely to get caught.

09:48:00 11.05.2007 skotik

Quote: skotiksmall sections of certain motorways. if they decide to do so then fine, it is not people's judgement call to decide to travel at 160 already in anticipation of changes.

We're not really arguing are we? I don't disagree with any of the points you made, I just don't see everything perhaps as black-and-white as you do. I drive about 40 thousand km per year, mostly on the motorways and see a lot of drivers and driving styles. From my job, I also do know a bit about cars. Dangerous drivers, IMHO are not defined by speed until they get above the speed their vehicle is designed to be able to handle, beyond their own skill as a driver or until they a hazard to other drivers. Driving 280 km/h on an empty stretch of straight dry road in an Audi S8 with new tires, though certainly illegal, is not something I'd whine about.

Quote: JenMy super-fancy car has a very handy feature...not only does it have the standard cruise control, it also has a speed limiter...you can set it to whatever speed and it won't let you go over that (it will let you go over by a few kph if it detects that you're really stepping on the accerator, like passing)...definitely a Good Thing.

My wife's car has a speed-alarm that beeps everytime you hit 120 km/h - we haven't figured out how to disconnect it yet:D

09:50:13 11.05.2007 gomer

Quote: gomerDangerous drivers, IMHO are not defined by speed until they get above the speed their vehicle is designed to be able to handle, beyond their own skill as a driver or until they a hazard to other drivers. Driving 280 km/h on an empty stretch of straight dry road in an Audi S8 with new tires, though certainly illegal, is not something I'd whine about.

that's the point we disagree on. speeding isn't relative to the capabilities of the car or the driver.

09:53:11 11.05.2007 skotik

Quote: gomerHowever, even with kids in the car, with good road conditions and a well serviced vehicle, I admit I commonly do 160 km/h on the highway - they are considering increasing the limit to 160.

You may also want to consider what if something like a blow out occurs at those speeds? My husband had a blow out in a brand new rental car with brand new tyres once, he was doing equivalent of 110km/h and managed to keep it on the road, though any faster may have been different. Given the dreadful road surfaces and poor junctions round here I would say most roads are definitely not suitable for those kind of speeds, especially if something unexpected happens.

09:53:57 11.05.2007 vickyn

maxd... I hope you appreciate my taking the pressure off you

09:55:15 11.05.2007 gomer

maxd has heard it all before. but he still thinks it is fine to risk his own life and the lives of others for the enjoyment of driving fast. but he can afford the fines so that's alright then. :rolleyes:

09:57:16 11.05.2007 skotik

Quote: skotikmaxd has heard it all before. but he still thinks it is fine to risk his own life and the lives of others for the enjoyment of driving fast. but he can afford the fines so that's alright then. :rolleyes:

Thats what I meant earlier, he only appears to get fines and no points? Is that because he doesn't have an EU licence? Makes a mockery of the system really.

10:00:00 11.05.2007 vickyn

if you don't have a czech licence they can't give you points.

10:03:21 11.05.2007 skotik

Quote: skotikthat's the point we disagree on. speeding isn't relative to the capabilities of the car or the driver.

so what's it relative to... a law? Any tolerance there, like +/- 5km/h? I think its relative to the flow of the traffic on a given road under given conditions at a given time and any other interpretation is downright dangerous.

10:03:34 11.05.2007 gomer

Quote: gomerso what's it relative to... a law? Any tolerance there, like +/- 5km/h?

it isn't relative, it is absolute. a number decided by the speed limit in the area.

Quote: gomer I think its relative to the flow of the traffic on a given road under given conditions at a given time and any other interpretation is downright dangerous.

I agree there are times when due to traffic flow and weather conditions it sometimes isn't safe even to do the speed limit and you have to slow down. I think you will find that isn't speeding though. The speed limit should considered the maximum speed to drive at, not compulsory to drive at that set speed.

10:08:47 11.05.2007 skotik

skotik? Do you by chance wear a hat and have egg-cartons in your back-window?

10:10:55 11.05.2007 gomer

why? is it a crime to consider the safety of other road users?

10:13:00 11.05.2007 skotik

Quote: skotikwhy? is it a crime to consider the safety of other road users?

lol. not at all, I just don't believe that the relationship between the speed limit and the safety of other road users is 'absolute.'

10:16:48 11.05.2007 gomer

Quote: gomerlol. not at all, I just don't believe that the relationship between the speed limit and the safety of other road users is 'absolute.'

obviously not but determining if someone was speeding or not is. you were the one claiming that 170 isn't really speeding, that it should be a judgement call.

10:51:06 11.05.2007 skotik

Quote: Dean CourtOooooooooooooh! We're fecking impressed :rolleyes: You sad man. D.C.

Should get one of these! Far more exilarating but a little less practical I imagine. http://youtube.com/watch?v=uyDuVCxA5qY&mode=related&search=

11:13:17 11.05.2007 Nobhead

Hey, where did my post go? It is ok for DC to call me a w@anker but I cannot throw obscenities too. Sad day for expats democracy.

12:46:50 11.05.2007 maxd

Maybe admin agrees with me :D D.C.

12:50:32 11.05.2007 Dean Court

Quote: gomerskotik? Do you by chance wear a hat and have egg-cartons in your back-window?

you forgot a trailer...

12:56:32 11.05.2007 praguepivo

Maxd you must realize that if you post about getting a speeding ticket you're going to get these responses! This is the third or fourth (almost identical) thread I've read about your speeding!

13:35:50 11.05.2007 Aquarius

click

13:39:27 11.05.2007 Jon 'Half-Pint' Smith

Thanks Jon. Trouble is idiots like maxd always reckon it won't happen to them D.C.

13:47:16 11.05.2007 Dean Court

Quote: Jon Smithclick

Harsh but can so easily happen :(

13:49:29 11.05.2007 Jay D

What does the video (speeding/passing on a country road) has to do with highway driving ?

14:45:10 11.05.2007 DowntownMan

Quote: DowntownManWhat does the video (speeding/passing on a country road) has to do with highway driving ?

You really should read all the posts on a thread before commenting. D.C.

14:47:50 11.05.2007 Dean Court

I've never seen so many saints on one site in my life!

15:14:33 11.05.2007 Spinner

Be responsible, don't become a statistic ...

15:16:11 11.05.2007 Jon 'Half-Pint' Smith

Quote: SpinnerI've never seen so many saints on one site in my life!

I'm certainly not a saint but I'm not 18 either ;)

15:18:48 11.05.2007 Jay D

Quote: SpinnerI've never seen so many saints on one site in my life!

Since when has "saint" been the opposite of "idiot"? :confused: D.C.

15:19:55 11.05.2007 Dean Court

I can't believe your trying to tell me D.C that you have never been speeding in your life?

15:45:12 11.05.2007 Spinner

Quote: SpinnerI can't believe your trying to tell me D.C that you have never been speeding in your life?

When did I say that? We were all young and stupid once. Trouble is, there are some that are old and stupid. D.C.

15:50:26 11.05.2007 Dean Court

Quote: Dean CourtWhen did I say that? We were all young and stupid once. Trouble is, there are some that are old and stupid. D.C.

hence my reference to 18

15:55:55 11.05.2007 Jay D

haha, I go out for a while and the halo boys return. I did not turn this into a speeding thread someone else did. It was about the teenage asshole cops tailgating me. Also the shoddy police car that looks like I was going to get carjacked https://www.expats.cz/prague/attachment.php?attachmentid=11743 I got a PM from someone that thinks you are a bunch of boring twats with your lecture. I tend to agree as the thread was about something else. He also said "fat" Dean "geoffrey" Court that you and another member, who I have less issues are a bunch of ass lickers.

16:01:03 11.05.2007 maxd

Oi! Sh1t fer brains.... Expats CoC: 2. No personal information Users that publish personal information about other people, or publish the contents of Private messages in a public forum, will be instantly banned. No exceptions. Oh that's right you think rules apply to everyone except you. D.C.

16:03:25 11.05.2007 Dean Court

Sometimes it takes an epiphany to change your behaviour. Mine came when I met Patrick whilst at college. He had already been accepted for university when he was hit by a speeding drunk driver and was now having to prove he still had the mental capacity to still do his chosen course. With no feeling below the chest, limited use of one hand, and a speech impediment, I was introduced to him when I had to intervene to get the disabled toilet unlocked. We became close friends and I realised that my own behaviour could have lead to the same, or worse, happening to somebody I hit. Sh1t happens, but sh1t happens less if you're responsible.

16:03:35 11.05.2007 morpheus

My sister nearly lost her leg to careless driver, sadly she lost the promise of a career in the RAF due to her injuries... something that she can never get back.

16:07:19 11.05.2007 Jon 'Half-Pint' Smith

Yawn

16:34:55 11.05.2007 maxd

I drove fast (pricey:D ) cars in the UK and had several speeding fines which had no deterrent effect as the fine was proportionately quite low and I never got quite enough points to lose my licence. Since coming here, I have learnt that you can be pulled over by zealous cops for very trivial 'offences' and I have paid thousands of Kcs in fines. I have become a safe, slow steady driver out of sheer fear of the police and of getting a massive fine so the deterrent effect has finally got to me, although I still drive a fast (ish) car. That and wariness of the other idiots on the road.

16:48:48 11.05.2007 mrypg9

Quote: maxdYawn

Was that simply to confirm to anybody who missed it that you're a selfish twat? I hope you enjoy your next crash.

17:09:56 11.05.2007 morpheus

Quote: morpheusWas that simply to confirm to anybody who missed it that you're a selfish twat? I hope you enjoy your next crash.

send me a picture so if I see you on the crossing I know what to do....twat

17:14:17 11.05.2007 maxd

Could we really stop with the namecalling, kids? How old are you again? Here, go watch this, maybe you'll learn something: http://www.teachers.tv/video/3477

17:15:50 11.05.2007 Jen

QUOTE=Jen]Could we really stop with the namecalling, kids? How old are you again? Boys will be boys, but girls will be women...:D Not very PC, I know..... :

17:24:33 11.05.2007 mrypg9

Quote: maxdsend me a picture so if I see you on the crossing I know what to do....twat

You need a car? I don't. Any time son, any time. (Jen you can be the bookie.)

17:27:53 11.05.2007 morpheus

ok, pistols at dawn

17:36:49 11.05.2007 maxd

Quote: maxdok, pistols at dawn

Living proof that driving a Porsche neither requires bollox nor a penis of any size, let alone small. You're a joke. Nobody thinks you're clever by boasting how fast you drive. Even more so because we guess you're not mindless a teenager. The older you get driving irresponsibly, the more your peers think you're a twat. Many of them have children after all (and don't want a knob like you to kill them). Forget death by twisted metal, you need some re-education. 45 days in prison is popular for prima donnas nowadays, though to be quite frank I suspect the world would be better off when you finally wrap you and your car around a tree.

00:14:58 12.05.2007 morpheus

I worked in the emergency services for nearly ten years and I've been to countless auto collisions. In my opinion the number one cause of accidents ( a term I hate) is not speeding, but inatentive drivers. Sadly, oft times this inatentiveness comes from too much drink. A focused driver travelling at 120km is likely much safer than a distracted driver at 60km. Safety on the road comes from driving defensivley. Maintain stopping distances,use the number one lane except to pass, and pay attention. And surprise surprise seatbelts and airbags save lives and reduce injury, respectivly. I also drove a Porsche for a number of years, and have the speeding tickets and repair bills to prove it and you know what they say "do you know how to tell the difference between a porcupine and a Porsche...with a porcupine the prick is on the outside:D."

02:37:08 12.05.2007 RonninSB

=skoba uk]And surprisingly,both thought they were good drivers. Surely the debate is not as 'black & white' --- as it seems --- undoubtedly, experienced drivers do speed at times, where the prevailing conditions permit, but where the distinction lies is at what point does excessive speed become foolhardy & unsafe? I once hired a car in Ceske Budejovice and drove to the tatras; I could hardly believe the attitude and recklessness of many Czech drivers at the time. Upon my return trip, on a single-lane, 100km limit stretch of road I overtook a car at about 100km, and was overtaken myself by a guy on my outside left on the dirt verge! (This was in the mid-90's and I reckon the attitude of drivers have improved a bit since then). Maybe a greater police presence is totally justified?;)

05:35:54 12.05.2007 ricci

Haha, really this was not about speeding at all. Someone else turned it into a speeding thread. It is about being egged on to get away from a unmarked police, with 2 immature cops who were deliberatley tailing me 1 meter from my bumper. It was also about the dodgy police sticker that made me think they were fake. https://www.expats.cz/prague/attachment.php?attachmentid=11743 I am only playing devils advocate now to morpheus etc because of the attacks on me. Sorry I am not going to take it up the arse being lectured about speeding when it the thread was about something else.

08:31:47 12.05.2007 maxd

You guys have to remember, that the police unmarked cars with radars are ALWAYS at the same bloody spot. So if, like me, you remember where they are at, you are going to be fine. :-)

08:34:09 12.05.2007 I hate marmite

Or w/o fine, as the case may be. Frankly, I've been known to speed occasionally as well. Aside from drunk driving, the most common reason for accidents is distracted drivers. (Cell phones, radios, passengers, and especially kids. All bad things to pay attention to when you're driving.) Currently I have no car, though, but it's fun to drive an Audi S4, TT, or fitted out VW GTI over 200 km/hr. I haven't driven a Porsche, but maybe some day. Just not smart to do it on a crowded (or even very populated) road. And Gomer's comments about not speeding as much with the kids, it does make a difference, because they can be a really big distraction. I drive much more defensively when the kids are in the vehicle, because I know I'm not able to pay quite as much attention to the road 100% of the time. To be fair, speeding can contribute to an accident, and can make it worse than it otherwise would have been. But it's rarely the reason for the accident.

21:36:13 12.05.2007 dwinkel

Speeding is the main fause of FATAL road accidents in this country.

11:10:21 13.05.2007 skotik

Well, I've never driven that fast here. Don't have access to the kind of cars that go that fast without falling apart.

17:57:12 13.05.2007 dwinkel

One Sunday on my way to Church I was stopped along the embankment and was told I was speeding. I asked to see where the radar car was located because I didn't see any car as I drove along and there were about 6 cars stopped with me. The car in front of me and the car behind me was also pulled over leading me to believe that we were all speeding or we were all moving with the flow so to speak. I asked to see the radar and to see the photo evidence and was told to just accept that I was speeding. I said no way and insisted that a supervisor be called because I was not handing over 1,000Kc without proof of speeding. Everyone else there was paying but me. They finally got so pissed off with me that they let me go with a warning. One of the younger officers asked me why Americans were so difficult. I explained that in the US when we ask for proof we get it and that in the US the cop that catches you is the only cop who can issue the citation. What I saw there was clear intrapment. Seems it happens here all the time though. P.S. Just to make a point, the Embankment, as everyone who drives knows, is one lane between Karlin (Hilton Hotel) and right before the Intercontinental where it does open to two lanes for a short distance. Where I got stopped it was one lane and almost every car was stopped!! What also makes this strange is that there are three lights that slows traffic. One at the tunnel, one at the Revolucni bridge and another right before the one lane opens to two.

08:06:22 14.05.2007 millerbrook