Car advise




Hello- I am searching for a reliable car mostly to be used within the city, i have one kid so we are three, we go to the mountains 3 or 4 times a year. I think we would do about 20k kms a year. Budget around 250k czk maybe more. Does anyone have some good experience buying a used a car? any one perhaps selling one? any suggestions for car dealers? Thanks in advance for all the advise/suggestions/tips. Best regards, AJ.

07:21:55 02.11.2014 Nine9

With your budget you could get a brand new Czech-built Hyundai i20 with 5 doors and a 5 year guarantee and have money to spare :) take a look > http://www.hyundai.cz/modely/i20

18:19:52 03.11.2014 hroch

We just bought an 08 Renault Grand Scenic is had 129k km and cost 136k Kc. It seats 5 and has a large cargo area. Insurance cost us 1700kc for the year and has fuel effeciency of 6ltr per 100km.

21:31:32 03.11.2014 Jenny.Saufl

As hroch said, with your budget just buy a new car. Buying an used car in Czech is a very risky business...

11:29:22 04.11.2014 Thomas1930

Thanks guys, very helpful, I am thinking of buying the new Hyundai or Opel Meriva which I was told is priced about the same. Got an offer for a year golf in the same range but not sure about the dealer, I was just thinking incase there was someone reliable here who might have a one or two year old car to sell as you know, once you drive out of the showroom with a new car, they say it looses about 20% of its value the first year if not more ....

16:15:21 04.11.2014 Nine9

Check out used cars at official dealers.

16:37:23 04.11.2014 hypmos

Quote: hypmosCheck out used cars at official dealers.

yes, they can sell you clocked and stolen cars at premium prices compared to the bazars.

17:02:42 04.11.2014 skotik

I find that people who complain about Czech bazars have never actually been to one. I'm on my third car in the Czech Republic and have never had a problem. Read reviews, use respectable companies (not AAA)....ESA is ok and DAVOCAR near Benesov. Take somebody who knows cars with you to test drive it, check the owner history etc and you can get a good deal. Buying a new Hyundai is good but these cars leak value and it will have 100k knocked off it easily within 2 years.

08:43:08 05.11.2014 czechrover

Amazing that this never ends with AAA - I was there and it was almost like a dream but didn't buy anything, I must say the cars looked really nice and clean from outside and they promised everything :-) of course I wasn't going to be cheated so I asked for service manuals/history, stamps were way old then they first suggested, kms - don't know how to check this and they offered some super discounts for immediate cash buy. Got some really good advise from Lep here and others. Thanks.

15:11:37 05.11.2014 Nine9

I am interested in your post.... re AAA Having read several replies to my posts re requesting advice on buying cars from dealers, and received lots of warnings about "clocked" vehicles especially AAA, I posted a request to anyone who actually has real-time experience of a vehicle that is not what it purports to be...contact me privately etc etc,,,, but did not receive one reply from anyone who has DIRECT experience of buying a dud vehicle, just lots of innunendo...friend of a friend crap and such like.. When you checked the service books at AAA did they have current stamps at from garages servicing them at regular intervals ? My thoughts are that a service booklet can be checked against the garage stamps that allegedly have the records, as they should record mileage and service intervals; this coupled with a few other mechanical checks for insurance write-offs should ensure you have a clean car,, plus their warranty, and nobody yet has told me they do not honour their warranties. So, what is the real story buying from dealers....I expect to pay at or above book price, and cheaper yes from private sales, but in my experience in the UK, private sales are more risky than dealers sales. What is the real facts here as I am inclined to buy from AAA unless warned off with a provable case of selling dud motors ? TonyE

15:32:38 05.11.2014 tony.elkin

Sure Tony, I was there in their showroom, after waiting I was assigned to one sales person who then sat with me on the computer to go through cars in the range of my budget, he told me the information and I selected 3 or 4, we walked to them, I asked for the service manual, we opened the car and found it, the car was last serviced in 2011 different to what he said initially which was, "it was serviced every year with complete history" when asked for some documents showing the checks for 2012, 2013 or this year he just ignored the question. Then we talked about a test drive and taking it to the mechanic, he said they have a "checking station" onsite and they will get one of their mechanics to talk to me. I didn't think it was very bad but just from what I have heard, think if they allow you to take the car away for a day to your own mechanic or service dealer then probably that would sort things out, are they allowing you that option?

15:53:35 05.11.2014 Nine9

I was in AAA twice in last two months. Tested 2 cars - one from 2007 one 2009. None of them had a service book. Kilometres were funny. I was about to check one of those cars through Cebia, but the seller said not to bother, as the kilometres in the record will be just a bit above the last STK two years ago. Answer to that was that the car was not driven much in last two years... Yeah right!!! The best part of testing was a funny sound comming from the boot. We stoped to have a look what it is, only to find out there was a spare wheel missing. The guy from AAA looked puzzled and pretended that he was not aware of it. I asked what would happen if I bought it and drove off. He said, I woud probably get a fine from the police... and then suggested he would look for some spare wheel in their garage. So it is worth to check everything in the vehicle. The other car I tested had a 1 CZK coin glued to the lock on the driver´s door. I noticed it and asked the guy - again - he said he didn´t know and said people do that to secure the car from being stolen. By the end of every trip to AAA I was really sick of their stupid explanations. Having said that, you can get them to let you take the car to a service of your choice - but you must insist on it.

16:13:58 05.11.2014 Lep

Aha, thank you guys, getting more towards the real situation. From what you have said it looks as though they are massaging the "one owner full service history" facts with a bit of sales liberty. I would expect to have the FSH up to date and provable, and although I am an ex engineer with a fair idea of what mechanically is what, would have another garage look it over and test it for a price. - Then offer them what I thought it was worth. Ok so what about private and other dealer sales on websites like Ottomoto and Auto bazar ?....anyone got any first hand skinny on private sales? Are we dealing with a bunch of rogues ere? TonyE

16:28:32 05.11.2014 tony.elkin

In 20 years I've bought 3 cars from AAA and sold them 2. Not one problem. Service books with all the cars I bought (the last one a Merc ML 270 which I've driven all across Europe). Sure, you have to haggle and have cash to tempt them, but where doesn't that happen? With the Merc I got a set of new winter tyres with rims and 15,000 kacers off the listed price. IMHO you have more chance of getting a clean, real-mileage car from them than from most second-hand dealers here.

Quote: tony.elkinI am interested in your post.... re AAA Having read several replies to my posts re requesting advice on buying cars from dealers, and received lots of warnings about "clocked" vehicles especially AAA, I posted a request to anyone who actually has real-time experience of a vehicle that is not what it purports to be...contact me privately etc etc,,,, but did not receive one reply from anyone who has DIRECT experience of buying a dud vehicle, just lots of innunendo...friend of a friend crap and such like.. When you checked the service books at AAA did they have current stamps at from garages servicing them at regular intervals ? My thoughts are that a service booklet can be checked against the garage stamps that allegedly have the records, as they should record mileage and service intervals; this coupled with a few other mechanical checks for insurance write-offs should ensure you have a clean car,, plus their warranty, and nobody yet has told me they do not honour their warranties. So, what is the real story buying from dealers....I expect to pay at or above book price, and cheaper yes from private sales, but in my experience in the UK, private sales are more risky than dealers sales. What is the real facts here as I am inclined to buy from AAA unless warned off with a provable case of selling dud motors ? TonyE

22:28:39 05.11.2014 mikegoddard

Quote: tony.elkinI am interested in your post.... re AAA Having read several replies to my posts re requesting advice on buying cars from dealers, and received lots of warnings about "clocked" vehicles especially AAA, I posted a request to anyone who actually has real-time experience of a vehicle that is not what it purports to be...contact me privately etc etc,,,, but did not receive one reply from anyone who has DIRECT experience of buying a dud vehicle, just lots of innunendo...friend of a friend crap and such like.. When you checked the service books at AAA did they have current stamps at from garages servicing them at regular intervals ? My thoughts are that a service booklet can be checked against the garage stamps that allegedly have the records, as they should record mileage and service intervals; this coupled with a few other mechanical checks for insurance write-offs should ensure you have a clean car,, plus their warranty, and nobody yet has told me they do not honour their warranties. So, what is the real story buying from dealers....I expect to pay at or above book price, and cheaper yes from private sales, but in my experience in the UK, private sales are more risky than dealers sales. What is the real facts here as I am inclined to buy from AAA unless warned off with a provable case of selling dud motors ? TonyE

AAA tried to scam me on a deal to buy a Range Rover. I ended up walking away from the deal and losing £500 or so that I'd left as a deposit. I left Prague long ago but check in here periodically just out of nostalgia really. Feel free to search my old posts as I posted about it at the time in more detail. Bunch of dishonest crooks... ended up buying a Porsche from a really small independent dealer instead and had absolutely no problem with the car, the service, or the dealer. So don't make the mistake that 'bigger is better' as its certainly not guaranteed here. edit - its in this 10 page thread, you'll probably need to read it from the start to get the full story. http://www.expats.cz/prague/showthread.php?p=1125189#post1125189

23:30:53 05.11.2014 PianoMan

Thank you for the link, very interesting saga, also the other posts both pro and con.. I am looking on ottomoto and at AAA and other private sales and will visit them this Xmas when over there just to see just what they have / do / offer. The learnings from this thread have been valuable in formulating a plan based on others (unfortunate) experiences. Choose motor, get it independently inspected and paperwork / service history checked, get contract translated, haggle on price, close deal and pay. Tell them you plan to live across the road from their garage for the next 100 years and that you are a reporter for the Czech Post... Bit like when you live in the East End lol best regards TonyE

16:02:50 06.11.2014 tony.elkin

I, too, don't understand all the negative stuff about AAA. I am on my second vehicle from them, the first lasted over 4 years and I put over 300km on it, the one I have now I have put over 50K on it in just 4 months and it is great.

16:45:23 06.11.2014 praguepivo

I actually bought 2 cars from AAA. One 9 years ago and the other one 6 years ago. First one was fine, second one had kilometres taken back. The experience all those years ago was much better than the visits in last two months. In my opinion they treat better those buyers who have higher budget. And more expensive cars usually have better service history and can be well maintained. I was looking for something between CZK 100.000 - 140.000 and they just couldn´t care less about me. :)

20:52:10 06.11.2014 Lep

It doesn't matter which autobazaar you choose, you have to check the car and papers. I was working for the AAA for several years and saw really good cars and also pieces of crap. The same is Auto ESA, Davocar, etc. ... you have to be aware everywhere! And it is also true that some dealerships are selling imported cars with clocked odometers for high prices. I would recommend buying a car that was sold as new in CZ (almost all imported cars are clocked), has full service history - mostly you can contact the car dealer where it was maintained. Good luck!

23:03:01 06.11.2014 priki

Quote: praguepivoI, too, don't understand all the negative stuff about AAA. I am on my second vehicle from them, the first lasted over 4 years and I put over 300km on it, the one I have now I have put over 50K on it in just 4 months and it is great.

Just because they didn't rip you off on that single deal doesn't mean they aren't a bunch of scammers. They clearly have some good cars and some scam cars. In fact I previously bought a nice Mercedes from them with zero problems at all. I just felt it was idiotic to have me over on that deal. I spend a lot of money on cars, never trade them back in and always have several at once. The sales man knew I paid 3 million for my last car, and was looking to change that soon too. Yet they were still willing to **** me on a deal for a cheap Range Rover, and destroy any chance of me ever dealing with them again. Realistically... I'm a perfect customer for any dealership. If they're going to try and do me over, they're certainly going to do it to you when it suits them.

16:33:19 07.11.2014 PianoMan