serpent
Member: #75322
Reply with quote Send this user a private message View this users profile
Did anyone see this show?
I watched it this evening and while the performance is great I didn't catch much of the dialogue since it's all dubbed in Czech.

As far as I could see it doesn't say anywhere the show will be in the local language.
Since the actors are British and it's a world tour I assumed they would be speaking English.

Now I feel a bit cheated and would like to warn those who plan going there and don't speak Czech.

Why did they even bother advertising the show on expats.cz anyway when most expats doesn't speak Czech?

And I bet some of you are just going to say I need to learn Czech. Well, I *am* learning but I only been here half a year so please give me a break
I did catch a few words but not enough to understand the full story.
Plus I kinda prefer being told beforehand that the show will be dubbed.
Report abusive posts or users
18-02-12, 11:40 PM

paulrm
Member: #3141
I agree... they market it to English speakers, so it should have full disclosure.
19-02-12, 05:11 PM

skotik
Member: #1934
Unless it specifically says the show is in English I would expect any show in Prague to be in Czech.

I would certainly never assume it would be in English.
20-02-12, 09:49 AM

amahlert
Member: #32695
My son went to a puppet show with his kindergarten. All posters were in English! When his class got there, the show was in Arabic and Hebrew with a Czech person translating!!
You gotta love Prague!
20-02-12, 10:10 AM

serpent
skotik: Hmm well, it's a British show. The actors are British and they're doing a world tour. All the posters around town are all written in English. I don't recall seeing a single Czech word in any of the posters. So yeah, maybe I was a little ignorant

amahlert: I actually find these kind of things amusing.
I've never before seen a live theatrical performance where the actors on stage got dubbed. But then again I haven't been on that many.
It's the lack of information that bothers me.
And if they went through the effort making a full dub for the show why didn't they just make the posters in Czech as well?
It's like 2 hours job translating the posters prior to printing, compared to the hundreds of hours making a dub.
20-02-12, 01:57 PM

skotik
Member: #1934
i think the thousands of Czechs who went along at the weekend would have been very annoyed if it turned out that the show was in English and it hadn't been stated anywhere.
20-02-12, 03:18 PM

serpent
skotik: I think most people are aware that the majority of Prague citizens are Czech.

I still don't understand why all the marketing (like posters) were in English. They even put up ads on expats.cz.
It doesn't take much for Live Nation or Sazka to write on their English description of the show on their websites it will be dubbed in Czech. Either did batmanlive.com mention in which country the show will be dubbed in the local language.
Plus I wish they had at least one of the five performances in English.

Also when I go watching a LIVE performance I expect it to be performed LIVE and not through playback.
Would you be happy going to a Madonna concert to find out it's all playback?
Or being dubbed in Czech? Many of her songs have already been covered in Czech version, so why not?
After all you can't annoy the locals by singing in English!

Last edited by serpent : 20-02-12 at 05:16 PM.
20-02-12, 05:13 PM

The views expressed here are those of the authors and not those of Expats.cz. By posting, you agree to our COC and Terms of service
Unhelpful or offensive posts may be deleted without warning, along with user account. Report abuse here.