Batman Live

Did anyone see this show? I watched it this evening and while the performance is great I didn't catch much of the dialogue since it's all dubbed in Czech. As far as I could see it doesn't say anywhere the show will be in the local language. Since the actors are British and it's a world tour I assumed they would be speaking English. Now I feel a bit cheated and would like to warn those who plan going there and don't speak Czech. Why did they even bother advertising the show on expats.cz anyway when most expats doesn't speak Czech? And I bet some of you are just going to say I need to learn Czech. Well, I *am* learning but I only been here half a year so please give me a break :) I did catch a few words but not enough to understand the full story. Plus I kinda prefer being told beforehand that the show will be dubbed.

22:40:27 18.02.2012 serpent

I agree... they market it to English speakers, so it should have full disclosure.

16:11:32 19.02.2012 paulrm

Unless it specifically says the show is in English I would expect any show in Prague to be in Czech. I would certainly never assume it would be in English.

08:49:03 20.02.2012 skotik

My son went to a puppet show with his kindergarten. All posters were in English! When his class got there, the show was in Arabic and Hebrew with a Czech person translating!! You gotta love Prague!

09:10:01 20.02.2012 amahlert

skotik: Hmm well, it's a British show. The actors are British and they're doing a world tour. All the posters around town are all written in English. I don't recall seeing a single Czech word in any of the posters. So yeah, maybe I was a little ignorant :) amahlert: I actually find these kind of things amusing. I've never before seen a live theatrical performance where the actors on stage got dubbed. But then again I haven't been on that many. It's the lack of information that bothers me. And if they went through the effort making a full dub for the show why didn't they just make the posters in Czech as well? It's like 2 hours job translating the posters prior to printing, compared to the hundreds of hours making a dub.

12:57:59 20.02.2012 serpent

i think the thousands of Czechs who went along at the weekend would have been very annoyed if it turned out that the show was in English and it hadn't been stated anywhere.

14:18:00 20.02.2012 skotik

skotik: I think most people are aware that the majority of Prague citizens are Czech. I still don't understand why all the marketing (like posters) were in English. They even put up ads on expats.cz. It doesn't take much for Live Nation or Sazka to write on their English description of the show on their websites it will be dubbed in Czech. Either did batmanlive.com mention in which country the show will be dubbed in the local language. Plus I wish they had at least one of the five performances in English. Also when I go watching a LIVE performance I expect it to be performed LIVE and not through playback. Would you be happy going to a Madonna concert to find out it's all playback? Or being dubbed in Czech? Many of her songs have already been covered in Czech version, so why not? :) After all you can't annoy the locals by singing in English!

16:13:51 20.02.2012 serpent

Quote: serpent I still don't understand why all the marketing (like posters) were in English.

they weren't.

Quote: serpentIt doesn't take much for Live Nation or Sazka to write on their English description of the show on their websites it will be dubbed in Czech. Either did batmanlive.com mention in which country the show will be dubbed in the local language.

they probably assumed people would know it would be in the local language. they had batmanlive.cz website for local info.

Quote: serpent Also when I go watching a LIVE performance I expect it to be performed LIVE and not through playback.

if the RSC were touring with a Shakespearean play in Prague I would expect it to be in English. as for batman I don't think it mattered much. it was more about visuals and a circus performance.

Quote: serpent Would you be happy going to a Madonna concert to find out it's all playback?

it isn't? :eek:

16:26:44 20.02.2012 skotik

Quote: serpentAlso when I go watching a LIVE performance I expect it to be performed LIVE and not through playback. Would you be happy going to a Madonna concert to find out it's all playback? Or being dubbed in Czech? Many of her songs have already been covered in Czech version, so why not? :) After all you can't annoy the locals by singing in English!

I think your are comparing apples against oranges here. Batman "Zive" is a theater show not a musical performance. As for your gripe about it being dubbed. Sorry i agree with Skotik, I for one would not expect English dialog and if i had doubts I would have asked before purchasing the ticket. It is all about opinions, some of your points could be valid, but I just don't but them, especially - the sign was in English so i thought it would have been in English.

16:30:48 20.02.2012 UK007

skotik & UK007, well you guys seems to have lived in CR for some time, considering your low member IDs. So you probably have more experience and different expectations than someone like me who just arrived. With my limited logic when I see a poster in Czech I would assume a show would be in Czech. Likewise when I see a poster in English I would assume the show would be in English. That's why I'm surprised learning everything is in Czech unless explicit stated otherwise, hence my first post. Regarding the posters; I'm very positive they were in English. Title, date, tagline, everything. At least those I've seen on Namesti Miru and Hradcanska. Maybe they had some ads in Czech newspapers, which I don't read yet - by obvious reasons. I'm also not convinced the show were spoken in local language everywhere. I find it hard to imagine they had it dubbed in Norwegian when they were in Oslo for instance. Is it common for internationally touring shows to be dubbed in the local language? Or is it more of a Czech thing?

17:31:23 20.02.2012 serpent

http://www.prosoundweb.com/article//batman_live_world_tour_utilizes_out_post_sound/ "Out Post Sound has been working closely with the team behind the Batman Live World Tour to create fully synchronized dubbed version of the show for foreign language audiences. Ros Cranmer, General Manager for the production said: “Having never even seen a live theatrical performance dubbed into another language, I was nervous about how it would work for our arena production of Batman Live. The final result, however, was fantastic, and it became clear that a foreign language voice-over actually translates incredibly well into that entertainment medium, making our show accessible to audiences all over the world.” Working closely with production company Water Lane Productions, sound designer Simon Baker and sound engineer for the show Simon Fox, out post sound developed a unique workflow process that enables the English cast to perform to a fully synchronized dialogue track in any language. . . Although other productions have used similar techniques before, it is believed that this is the first time that a show of this scale, with so many characters and such complicated automation and flying sequences, has been successfully dubbed . . After being contracted to work on the show, out post sound worked with it´s team that includes translators and casting agents, to bring together experienced actors to re-create the performances brought to life by the UK cast. The dialogue was then recorded and edited at out post´s Brighton and London studios and delivered to the production team. After a successful initial run in Switzerland, France and Germany out post is now working on a Czech version and several others for the South American market..."

18:58:49 20.02.2012 skotik

Generally the Czechs seem in favour of dubbing, which is a shame, because their dubbers all sound the same and speak in a typical way, which detracts from the original actors performance.

19:14:28 20.02.2012 dubov

The increased prevalence of everything being dubbed goes to show how dumbed down this society is becoming. I remember when they actually used to show movies with subtitles on TV here, now even stuff like Band of Brothers being shown late night on CTV 1 is dubbed (which sounds especially poor cutting in and out over the loud sound mix of gunfire ect.) Go to USA or UK and foreign films are alway subtitled because viewers know that dubbing generally sounds terrible. I guess the consensus here is people don't care how bad it sounds, how much it takes you out of the movie or how much the actors performance is ruined as long as they can be lazy and not have to read subtitles.

17:14:15 22.02.2012 ChicagoSportsFan

There's an awful lot of "how could you not know that!" messages being posted here, which really surprises me. This is supposed to be a site where people help each other out, not where people who've been here a while act all smug and superior to newcomers. Regarding the original poster's question, I wouldn't assume that the performance would be in English solely due to the posters or advertising, primarily because a lot of advertising for events aimed towards younger people is now done in English. I don't personally understand why, but it seems to be a trend here. I WOULD assume that the performance would be in English as it was an English production with English actors, and was supposed to be LIVE. Why on earth would anyone just ASSUME that the performance would be dubbed into Czech?! To me, it seems a little bit sad that the Czechs feel they need to do this. Why do they bother teaching their young people English to such a high level if they are shielded from it by the media as much as possible?

10:15:01 24.02.2012 brianwilliams82

Quote: brianwilliams82To me, it seems a little bit sad that the Czechs feel they need to do this. Why do they bother teaching their young people English to such a high level if they are shielded from it by the media as much as possible?

For the same reason they dub kids' films....because the target audience's English wouldn't be good enough to understand what was going on.

10:18:43 24.02.2012 Jen

I do know what you mean about people being a bit condescending to newcomers sometimes, but in this case it does seem reasonable that in the Czech Republic the language they would use would be Czech, no? I don't think it's 'sad'

10:19:22 24.02.2012 dubov

Quote: serpentWith my limited logic when I see a poster in Czech I would assume a show would be in Czech. Likewise when I see a poster in English I would assume the show would be in English. That's why I'm surprised learning everything is in Czech unless explicit stated otherwise, hence my first post. Regarding the posters; I'm very positive they were in English. Title, date, tagline, everything. At least those I've seen on Namesti Miru and Hradcanska. Maybe they had some ads in Czech newspapers, which I don't read yet - by obvious reasons.

Here you go, i think that clears this one up... Lesson learnt i suppose. http://www.evropa2.cz/img/edee/batman.jpg

11:28:45 24.02.2012 UK007

We were also rather surprised that it was in Czech: I always look out for dubbing at the cinema, and of course a lot of foreign plays are translated for performance in Czech theatres but I hadn't expected it at an international arena tour. I suppose I should have given consideration to the fact that kids were a major part of the target audience. Regardless of my limited understanding of the dialogue (although even I was able to understand 'To je Batman!') I enjoyed the physical performances and special effects.

13:17:48 24.02.2012 pragmatopian

Quote: skotikhttp://www.prosoundweb.com/article//batman_live_world_tour_utilizes_out_post_sound/ Ros Cranmer, General Manager for the production said: “Having never even seen a live theatrical performance dubbed into another language..."

You seems to be contradicting yourself. First you said you would expect it to be dubbed. Then you post a link to an article who tells how ground breaking and new this kind of dubbing is. They also claim to be "world's first" on this scale.

Quote: dubovI do know what you mean about people being a bit condescending to newcomers sometimes, but in this case it does seem reasonable that in the Czech Republic the language they would use would be Czech, no? I don't think it's 'sad'

Uh duh... There is a little difference between "omg the guy at the potraviny doesn't speak English! wtf!!!!1111". and "Of course you should assume an internationally touring British performance with British actors would be speaking Czech!".

Quote: UK007Here you go, i think that clears this one up... Lesson learnt i suppose. http://www.evropa2.cz/img/edee/batman.jpg

Well, that's *one* ad. And yes, lesson learned. But without the "help" of expats.cz community. I actually managed to figure out all my myself the show was in Czech! :eek: Not sure if I made it clear enough, but my main problem isn't the fact that it's dubbed. It's more because that information wasn't mentioned, or maybe even purposely left out. And no, I don't see that information to be as obvious as "Warning! Hot contents" on a coffee cup.

03:10:22 26.02.2012 serpent

Quote: serpentWell, that's *one* ad. And yes, lesson learned. But without the "help" of expats.cz community. I actually managed to figure out all my myself the show was in Czech! :eek: Not sure if I made it clear enough, but my main problem isn't the fact that it's dubbed. It's more because that information wasn't mentioned, or maybe even purposely left out. And no, I don't see that information to be as obvious as "Warning! Hot contents" on a coffee cup.

Are you really suggesting that the marketing for this show was printed up in English as well, I dont think so. I really doubt it.

10:39:56 26.02.2012 UK007

I say if the actors can't learn their lines in Czech before they come, they should not be allowed to perform and should be turned back at the border. This is the Czech Republic, we speak Czech here. None of this dubbing malarkey. If they don't like it these so-called actors can go back to where they came from and shut up. Anybody ever seen the Godfather? Al Pacino speaks Italian in that movie when he is Sicily. This is to show his respect. If it's good enough for Al Pacino, it's good enough for me.

14:35:39 26.02.2012 Aquarius

Quote: serpentIt's more because that information wasn't mentioned, or maybe even purposely left out.

you think they didn't bother to mention it was in czech to mislead the target audience (who are probably 99% czech)? i would have thought if there was any doubt about it they'd be keen to reassure these people that it was in fact going to be a czech language version of the show.

21:05:00 26.02.2012 skotik

Quote: skotik you think they didn't bother to mention it was in czech to mislead the target audience (who are probably 99% czech)? .

80% probably but i take your point.

22:06:52 26.02.2012 musicsavedmylife2

Quote: musicsavedmylife280% probably but i take your point.

Huh? Do you think that they expected every native English speaker living in Prague to go to the show 3 times? I think that if they went out and did their marketing based on 300% of a particular target market turning up, they would be crazy. In fact I was going to post earlier that I think Skotik's 99% was probably low. ;)

23:37:42 26.02.2012 JKG

I would have expected Czech language. when I go to the cinema I expect Czech. when i go to an Irish pub I expect Czech. when I go to starbucks I expect Czech. etc etc etc.

09:55:16 27.02.2012 JIZEK

Quote: JKGHuh? Do you think that they expected every native English speaker living in Prague to go to the show 3 times? I think that if they went out and did their marketing based on 300% of a particular target market turning up, they would be crazy. In fact I was going to post earlier that I think Skotik's 99% was probably low. ;)

who mentioned english speakers? not me. slovaks,russians,ukranians ,poles. aren't there tens of thousands of thems here

10:45:08 27.02.2012 musicsavedmylife2

Quote: musicsavedmylife2who mentioned english speakers? not me.

The entire thread and every post in it (except your last post) are about the fact that the event was not in English Language.

15:31:41 27.02.2012 JKG

Lord this is like a gigantic game of chinese whispers....

16:31:18 27.02.2012 Jen

Quote: JenLord this is like a gigantic game of chinese whispers....

But is it in the original chinese, or dubbed into czech?

16:45:00 27.02.2012 skoba uk

Quote: skoba ukBut is it in the original chinese, or dubbed into czech?

:D:D:D

21:45:53 27.02.2012 JKG