Chat

Health

It's cold/flu season. Cure yourself with Czech folk medicine?

coco
Member: #4100
Reply with quote Send this user a private message View this users profile
I'm facinated by what Czechs think cause illnesses.
I was once told that if I didn't wear pantyhose when wearing a skirt, the wind would go up there and I would get a womb infection (which I actually found vaguely insulting :-)).
When I go out for a run in winter I am often told that I will get bronchitis from breathing in cold air.
Sometimes I open the office window in winter just to watch my female colleagues clutch their throats and scream at me to shut it again so they don't get sick.
So that's it really, keep away from a draught or fresh air of any sort and you won't need slivovice.
Report abusive posts or users
13-02-12, 12:37 PM

JIZEK
Member: #12394
had a laughing fit at a colleague just the other day, after he told me that having a warm home would make me ill !!
what a crock- even doctors tell them this apparently, I think its just an excuse to save money on heating bills LOL

funnily enough the same colleague is not in the office today, probably at home with a cold lol

another colleague in summer always complains about having the air con on, and the heat difference between inside and out, bl bla bla, yet they all fail to give an answer when you ask them about swimming in the summer, or sauna´s, ice swimming, jumping from a sauna into the snow, etc etc etc.
13-02-12, 01:14 PM

Jen
Member: #5
Or the thing that girls shouldn't sit on cold stone walls/benches etc because you could "nastidnout" (get a bladder infection).
13-02-12, 02:04 PM

JIZEK
Member: #12394
all these wives tales, but many seem to abandon basic hygiene lol.
13-02-12, 02:45 PM

Aquarius
Member: #4233
Quote:
Originally Posted by JIZEK
had a laughing fit at a colleague just the other day, after he told me that having a warm home would make me ill !!
what a crock- even doctors tell them this apparently, I think its just an excuse to save money on heating bills LOL

funnily enough the same colleague is not in the office today, probably at home with a cold lol

another colleague in summer always complains about having the air con on, and the heat difference between inside and out, bl bla bla, yet they all fail to give an answer when you ask them about swimming in the summer, or sauna´s, ice swimming, jumping from a sauna into the snow, etc etc etc.

I have a friend who had a temporary but near crippling problem with his back about 4 years ago. To this day he swears that it was caused by the air conditioning in his office. He is so convinced that air conditioning caused his problems about it that he had the air conditioning taken out and reinstalled in a different part of the room at a cost of tens of thousands of Czech crowns.
--
Jesus was all in favor of ass whoopings, in my opinion.--Midnight Toker
14-02-12, 07:50 AM

The views expressed here are those of the authors and not those of Expats.cz. By posting, you agree to our COC and Terms of service
Unhelpful or offensive posts may be deleted without warning, along with user account. Report abuse here.