It's cold/flu season. Cure yourself with Czech folk medicine?

I've written up a short, somewhat humorous article on Czech home remedies. If you've been here a while, you know I mean mostly alcohol. I hope it is both informative and entertaining. http://thirdcountrynational.blogspot.com/2012/01/czech-medicine.html

13:26:10 19.01.2012 meganleb

My father-in-law gave me a bottle of slivoice for Christmas labelled 'traditional Czech medicine'

14:36:36 19.01.2012 dukeene

I had an awful stomache ache sometime ago, I could barely move myself, and was crying in pain. My neighbor heard about my pain (we live in a small village, everybody takes care of everybody's business!!!!), and came with a bottle of slivovice!!! She said it would cure anything, that it would kill any bacteria on my body!!!!!

19:52:41 19.01.2012 Sani

Slivovice is commonly known as "Moravian penicillin".

20:04:04 19.01.2012 Jen

My business partner's grandfather attributed his long life and good health to having a shot of slivovice every morning upon waking. One morning he didn't have it AND HE DIED.

08:23:29 20.01.2012 Aquarius

Quote: AquariusMy business partner's grandfather attributed his long life and good health to having a shot of slivovice every morning upon waking. One morning he didn't have it AND HE DIED.

damn, that's a high price to pay for forgetfullness.;)

10:30:12 20.01.2012 musicsavedmylife2

Quote: musicsavedmylife2damn, that's a high price to pay for forgetfullness.;)

Yes he got out of the front gate early that day and was run over by the Bus!

13:36:54 20.01.2012 gordonn

I'm facinated by what Czechs think cause illnesses. I was once told that if I didn't wear pantyhose when wearing a skirt, the wind would go up there and I would get a womb infection (which I actually found vaguely insulting :-)). When I go out for a run in winter I am often told that I will get bronchitis from breathing in cold air. Sometimes I open the office window in winter just to watch my female colleagues clutch their throats and scream at me to shut it again so they don't get sick. So that's it really, keep away from a draught or fresh air of any sort and you won't need slivovice.

11:37:01 13.02.2012 coco

had a laughing fit at a colleague just the other day, after he told me that having a warm home would make me ill !! what a crock- even doctors tell them this apparently, I think its just an excuse to save money on heating bills LOL funnily enough the same colleague is not in the office today, probably at home with a cold lol another colleague in summer always complains about having the air con on, and the heat difference between inside and out, bl bla bla, yet they all fail to give an answer when you ask them about swimming in the summer, or sauna´s, ice swimming, jumping from a sauna into the snow, etc etc etc.

12:14:22 13.02.2012 JIZEK

Or the thing that girls shouldn't sit on cold stone walls/benches etc because you could "nastidnout" (get a bladder infection).

13:04:19 13.02.2012 Jen

all these wives tales, but many seem to abandon basic hygiene lol.

13:45:13 13.02.2012 JIZEK

Quote: JIZEKhad a laughing fit at a colleague just the other day, after he told me that having a warm home would make me ill !! what a crock- even doctors tell them this apparently, I think its just an excuse to save money on heating bills LOL funnily enough the same colleague is not in the office today, probably at home with a cold lol another colleague in summer always complains about having the air con on, and the heat difference between inside and out, bl bla bla, yet they all fail to give an answer when you ask them about swimming in the summer, or sauna´s, ice swimming, jumping from a sauna into the snow, etc etc etc.

I have a friend who had a temporary but near crippling problem with his back about 4 years ago. To this day he swears that it was caused by the air conditioning in his office. He is so convinced that air conditioning caused his problems about it that he had the air conditioning taken out and reinstalled in a different part of the room at a cost of tens of thousands of Czech crowns.

06:50:39 14.02.2012 Aquarius