Chat

Travel

Auschwitz?

Keithinator
Member: #42982
Reply with quote Send this user a private message View this users profile
It doesn't look like I'm going to be able to do my big Europe trip this summer, so, I'm looking at a couple weekend trips.

How would you get to Auschwitz from here by bus or train(prefer train)? And, does anybody have recommendations for hostels nearby?
Report abusive posts or users
15-02-09, 01:09 PM

Markrfe
Member: #792
I live in Prague and have been to Auschwitz several times in the past couple of years to write articles and travel books.

There are a couple of travel agencies in Prague that offer full day Auschwitz tours. I found one on the net and there are a couple of others: http://www.wittmann-tours.com/content/view/26/42/

That said, it's a pretty long ride from Prague -- figure on a good 6-7 hours by car.

There are not very many decent hotels there. Most people stay in Krakow and make it a long day trip (about 90 minutes by car). One pretty good hotel (and not that expensive if you book in advance over the net) is Hotel Galicja www.hotelgalicja.com
15-02-09, 02:26 PM

skoba uk
Member: #57613
Some trains to Oswiecim here-
http://jizdnirady.idnes.cz/vlaky/spojeni/

As for hostels, I don't think there are any in Oswiecim itself (although there is a place specifically for youth groups who are visiting the camps), you would probably need to stay in Krakow and travel from there.Oswiecim has a couple of cheap and nasty hotels eg Hotel Glob which is really nasty, and one pretty decent hotel.
http://www.hotelgalicja.com.pl/
15-02-09, 02:26 PM

Markrfe
Member: #792
Skoba .. I see we are on the same page!
15-02-09, 02:30 PM

miss_merlot
Member: #36194
I'd definitely recommend a long weekend in Krakow (a beautiful destination in itself) and spending one of those days doing a day trip from there to Auschwitz. You'll have a more "rounded" trip that way...
15-02-09, 02:47 PM

phwilson
Member: #51843
The real horror of Anne Frank's diary is that there were millions of Anne Franks. At Auschwitz you meet them. At least what's left of them and that's too much to bear if you're at all serious about why you're going there.
You see their photos, their hair, rooms full of hair, their luggage, bullet riddled walls, building after building filled with Anne Franks.
I hope I never see anything like it again. Then to realize there were other camps, it really gets overwhelming.

I can't comprehend what it must have been like, and i am thankful for that.
21-02-09, 10:01 PM

miss_merlot
Member: #36194
This is just it ph, and why it's such a positive thing Anne Frank's diary survived - people can get their heads round the tragedy of one individual, but not several milllion... It's the inverse of Stalin's phrase: "the death of one individual is a tragedy, the death of one milllion is a statistic"... Whether looking at it from the searching (hopefully most of us) or cynical (Stalinist) sense, one just can't get one's head around the sheer numbers...
21-02-09, 11:02 PM

The views expressed here are those of the authors and not those of Expats.cz. By posting, you agree to our COC and Terms of service
Unhelpful or offensive posts may be deleted without warning, along with user account. Report abuse here.