What do you put on your rohlik?

I like butter INSIDE mine, i dont put sh*t on the top of it like the natives.. how about YOU? :eek:

21:55:12 10.04.2008 DonaldD

honey when i have the munchies late at night :)

22:05:18 10.04.2008 kuba36

You dont want to know.

22:05:36 10.04.2008 Meathead

butter and vegemite ...

22:48:01 10.04.2008 Yvan

Quote: Yvanbutter and vegemite ...

Vegemite??????? Not Marmite? Shame on you :D

23:00:18 10.04.2008 gvkb

cut in half lengthwise, each half slathered with Lurpak and creamy honey (not runny hunny). Drool, drool...

23:03:19 10.04.2008 Jen

Nutella, of course!

23:24:52 10.04.2008 amahlert

Quote: Jencut in half lengthwise, each half slathered with Lurpak and creamy honey (not runny hunny). Drool, drool...

yes the honey that thick like butter!! :)

23:27:42 10.04.2008 kuba36

boerewors with tomato-and-onion sauce, if available. Or I buy Parizky salat.

00:35:03 11.04.2008 Thora

Frankfurter and chilli.

04:04:55 11.04.2008 annemarie

In my rohlik I like bacon & tomato.

04:15:44 11.04.2008 lubber_johnny

Are we talking literal rohlik?

05:21:06 11.04.2008 Aquarius

Salmon and goat cheese balls!

08:16:50 11.04.2008 Danieler

Eeeeuch :eek:

08:17:33 11.04.2008 JAM70

Toasted, with Lashings of Lurpak, and a spot of haggis, with nippy sauce :p

08:18:15 11.04.2008 JAM70

Quote: titus_aduxasWe do not at these rohliks because it is the same as the peanuts in a bowl and is full of urine

Ah, it's one of these personas with varying language skils. ;) Keeping on topic, I can't even remember the last time I ate a rohlik. D.C.

08:18:52 11.04.2008 Dean Court

Quote: DanielerSalmon and goat cheese balls!

She's got a thing for that.

08:26:56 11.04.2008 Jimko

Haggis now thats revolting stuff even to look at, the thought, the thought

08:26:59 11.04.2008 Danieler

Quote: JimkoShe's got a think for that.

It's called YUMMY:)

08:28:02 11.04.2008 Danieler

Quote: DanielerHaggis now thats revolting stuff even to look at, the thought, the thought

:eek: Don't get me started on the Cesky smes :p

08:28:10 11.04.2008 JAM70

...cut lengthwise, one layer of cheddar on each side, covered by one layer of paprikas or salami. Microwave until gooey.

08:29:05 11.04.2008 Jimko

Quote: JAM70:eek: Don't get me started on the Cesky smes :p

Oh come on, I dare you....:cool:

08:29:16 11.04.2008 Danieler

in reply to the original question just about anything edible.... (i do want to add that is do sometimes put stuff on the outside if i am in a hurry) it might be worthwile to mention some of the other uses for rohliky: 1) sliced for jednohubky (with a wide variety of topping, including, but not limited to: garlic cheese spread, chanterelle cheese spread, smoked sardine spread) 2) cubed and dried for subsequent use in bread dumplings or stuffing 3) dried and grated for bread crumbs 4) plain with tripe soup 5) cubed and toasted for use as topping in soups (including, but not limited to, lentil soup and split pea soup) 6) soaked in milk for certain types of stuffings and side dishes 7) with sausages and mustard hmmmmmmm all that i can think of at the moment

08:30:30 11.04.2008 meluzina

Quote: DanielerOh come on, I dare you....:cool:

Little flea joint, round the corner from the TV tower. They had 'haggis' on their menu. I asked the manager if it was proper haggis, he said, "Of course, I've been to Scotland and tasted it myself!". What did I get? Some chunks of black and white sh1t, in cold jelly :mad: Needless to say, I told him he was a tool, and didn't pay. Also, the skewers in these so called Olde Worlde restaurants. Just like a donkeys dick, swinging fom a hook :D

08:35:02 11.04.2008 JAM70

Quote: JAM70 What did I get? Some chunks of black and white sh1t, in cold jelly

So it was the genuine article. D.C.

08:47:56 11.04.2008 Dean Court

Quote: Dean CourtSo it was the genuine article. D.C.

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

08:55:22 11.04.2008 JAM70

I try not to eat that stretchy bread. Feels like you are eating a neoprene wet suit. I find it revolting to watch Czechs open a can of meat paste substance and dip these stretchy rolls into it and eat it. I feed my dog better then that.

09:46:06 11.04.2008 Operation:CyberMine

Quote: Operation:CyberMineI try not to eat that stretchy bread. Feels like you are eating a neoprene wet suit. I find it revolting to watch Czechs open a can of meat paste substance and dip these stretchy rolls into it and eat it. I feed my dog better then that.

Well said that man!!

09:48:07 11.04.2008 Craig Hurry

Quote: Operation:CyberMine I find it revolting to watch Czechs open a can of meat paste substance and dip these stretchy rolls into it and eat it.

Don't watch then! D.C.

09:48:46 11.04.2008 Dean Court

Quote: Operation:CyberMineI try not to eat that stretchy bread. Feels like you are eating a neoprene wet suit. I find it revolting to watch Czechs open a can of meat paste substance and dip these stretchy rolls into it and eat it. I feed my dog better then that.

i feel so sorry for you praguers if all you have are those mass-produced rubbery rohliky (although i do use them for the purposes defined in 2 3 5 and 6 of my previous post) - i am thinking of the fresh-baked rohliky with the crunchy crust and airy inside that, if i time it right, i can purchase still warm... they do keep well in the freezer though if frozen immediately and then just left to thaw for a few hours

09:58:40 11.04.2008 meluzina

I buy rohlik, then freeze it and when I need it, I put it in the oven for a few minutes. It tastes totally fresh.

10:00:45 11.04.2008 Thora

That's what she said.

11:27:37 11.04.2008 Jimko

Lol

11:29:52 11.04.2008 Operation:CyberMine

No, she said she leaves it to thaw. Then it goes all soft and rubbery.

11:30:37 11.04.2008 Thora

Bez rohlíků since 2004 and loving it. Life is too short for bad rolls.

11:40:34 11.04.2008 Hollins98

Stopped eating them. Haven§t had a cold since. No ****.

11:43:27 11.04.2008 Aquarius

Quote: ThoraNo, she said she leaves it to thaw. Then it goes all soft and rubbery.

eh??? never gone rubbery on me - must be the rohliky you buy :D

11:45:35 11.04.2008 meluzina

I dig a hole in mine and stuff it with cheese and ketchup, and a little tabassco around the rim.

12:07:36 11.04.2008 David D Sharp

At my local Viet Cong store they have fresh cheese bread in the mornings. That make awesome toasted BLT bread. However you got to fight the other customers to get a few. They sell fast as hell, if you are not in there by 9am forget about it.

12:18:03 11.04.2008 Operation:CyberMine

I also like those cream cheese dips the czechers love, with the garlic or onion flavours. Today I'm gonna do a recon trip up to poland and see what those bastards eat on their rolls

12:18:12 11.04.2008 DonaldD

Quote: DonaldDI also like those cream cheese dips the czechers love, with the garlic or onion flavours. Today I'm gonna do a recon trip up to poland and see what those bastards eat on their rolls

I am with you on that. The cheese spreads are awesome with smoked salmon on toasted bread.

12:20:35 11.04.2008 Operation:CyberMine

Billa and Pramen do excellent cheese and bacon rohliks.

13:11:21 11.04.2008 meddo

I don't eat rohliky. As a true patriot I eat Borodino bread.

13:25:08 11.04.2008 Mikhail Lermontov

If you guys don't eat rohliky what do you eat? Some two years ago when Albert started baking the frozen different kinds of small breads it was OK now it's not. Bio shops' bread used to be good not a long time ago now it tastes like baked sawdust with a very small exception but then it costs 15 crowns for each small piece. The only edible bread is sadly fresh rohliky and Sumava, to my mind. Or should I buy the bread machine?

18:07:12 11.04.2008 gwenynen

Quote: gwenynenIf you guys don't eat rohliky what do you eat? Some two years ago when Albert started baking the frozen different kinds of small breads it was OK now it's not. Bio shops' bread used to be good not a long time ago now it tastes like baked sawdust with a very small exception but then it costs 15 crowns for each small piece. The only edible bread is sadly fresh rohliky and Sumava, to my mind. Or should I buy the bread machine?

Borodino. The best bread in Russia and Prague.

19:27:07 11.04.2008 Mikhail Lermontov

Quote: gwenynenIf you guys don't eat rohliky what do you eat?

Anything but rohliky and housky! They taste like cotton. I usually buy a loaf of the farmarsky chleb (looks rustic), ciabatta, or the crazy-bio sunflower bread that's basically pressed seeds. :) And I don't think the Sumava bread has much going for it, either--but I guess I would feel differently if we had a family to feed. I've only got a husband to feed. If he wants rohliky/housky, we go to his parents'. :D

19:59:11 11.04.2008 Hollins98

Farmarsky was one of the last to disappear from my table before I switched to rohliky :( All these frozen and baked kinds of bread were good at the begining, now the quality is worse and worse. I just like the ciabatta from a bio shop on Vinohradska but, first, I can't go there every day, second, it's very expensive for the bread. I don't like this Russian Borodino bread (dark brown, sugary and spicy) either. Seriously thinking about buying the baking machine...

20:13:18 11.04.2008 gwenynen

Quote: gwenynenSeriously thinking about buying the baking machine...

You can always make pancakes... and if you eat pasta, then you don't need bread either

21:03:54 11.04.2008 Mikhail Lermontov

Can't see the point of rohliky, rock hard an hour after purchase and full of nothing, only fit for some of the purposes Mel mentions. I don't mind housky but although I adore poppy seeds I'm allergic to even a trace of them so each housek(singular form?) has to be carefully examined before buying. I seem to be one of the few who loves ordinary bog standard Czech bread especially completely fresh and if it's past that then toasted. With lashings of butter and marmite - yummy. A taste shared so far by all visitors from the UK. (Just as well because they get offered nothing else) And all of the other dark breads that I can try out.....but they have to have caraway in:D

22:00:07 11.04.2008 gvkb

Quote: gvkbCan't see the point of rohliky, rock hard an hour after purchase and full of nothing, only fit for some of the purposes Mel mentions. I don't mind housky but although I adore poppy seeds I'm allergic to even a trace of them so each housek(singular form?) has to be carefully examined before buying. I seem to be one of the few who loves ordinary bog standard Czech bread especially completely fresh and if it's past that then toasted. With lashings of butter and marmite - yummy. A taste shared so far by all visitors from the UK. (Just as well because they get offered nothing else) And all of the other dark breads that I can try out.....but they have to have caraway in:D

well not all rohliky are created equal :D same applies to bread (even if it is called the same, e.g., sumava) - as in most places, it really depends on the baker the rohliky i buy locally are actually made from the same dough as housky - just the shape differs - and like i mentioned, they have to be crunchy and fresh - i will never buy what i call the "mass-produced" ones such as the ones they sell at penny and kaufland p.s. jedna houska ;)

08:47:36 12.04.2008 meluzina

btw if anyone shops at kaufland, the local one here has whole-grain rohliky (or seven-grain?) not sure which now - that are not bad - and, although they sell the bad mass-produced white rubber rohliky, their pletynky are good

08:51:03 12.04.2008 meluzina

I have to say the bread maker was the best thing I brought over with me.

09:03:28 12.04.2008 annemarie

And if you dare to make you own chewy bread... HOMEMADE ROHLIKY · Ingredients 3 cups (700 milliliters) of flour 1 teaspoon salt 1 egg yolk 1 cup (235 milliliters) milk 25 grams of fresh yeast 1 teaspoon sugar 2 tablespoons butter, melted 1 egg, beaten Crystal salt, caraway and poppy seeds (optional) To prepare: · Heat oven to 175° Celsius (350° Fahrenheit) · Mix yeast, half of the milk (at room temperature), sugar and one spoonful of flour in a small bowl. · Combine salt, remaining flour and egg yolk in a large mixing bowl. Add yeast mixture, remaining milk and melted butter. Work the dough until it has a rough, bumpy surface. Cover with a teacloth and let rise (about 30 minutes). · Once risen, roll out the dough about 5 millimeters thick (about 3/16 inch). Cut into narrow triangles about 20 centimeters (8 inches) long and roll them tightly, starting at the long side and continuing to the tip. (If the tip starts to pull back, moisten the surface with water and press until set.) · Place rolls on a baking sheet and let rise again for about 10 minutes. Brush with beaten egg. Dust with crystal salt and caraway or poppy seeds, if desired. · Bake until lightly browned (20-30 minutes).

09:35:34 12.04.2008 Operation:CyberMine

and if you don't like cyber's rohlikz recipe, you can try this one: Rohlíky Ingredients: 1 cube yeast (42 g), 1 tablespoon sugae, 500 g flour, 1 teasponn salt, 4 tablespoons oil, 1/4 litre water or this recipe: 50 dkg flour, 1 teaspoon sugar, 5 dkg butter, 1 egg, 3 dkg yeast, 1/8 litre milk, 1 dkg salt the point is - there is not any one rohlik recipe - the name rohlik is for the shape, not for the dough...

09:54:14 12.04.2008 meluzina

In Prague 6 at Orechovka (where the kino is), there's a bakery there that makes amazing rohliky - they also do housky and veky from the same dough....go there first thing in the morning and pick some up warm and fresh!

10:17:40 12.04.2008 Jen

Quote: meluzinawell not all rohliky are created equal :D same applies to bread (even if it is called the same, e.g., sumava) - as in most places, it really depends on the baker the rohliky i buy locally are actually made from the same dough as housky - just the shape differs - and like i mentioned, they have to be crunchy and fresh - i will never buy what i call the "mass-produced" ones such as the ones they sell at penny and kaufland p.s. jedna houska ;)

Thanks for grammar :D The list of things I have to test-eat next time I see you grows and grows....:) I think the main problem may be that I don't really like crusty rolls so purpose of rohliky is defeated before I start. I was just struck by the devastating thought that I could become allergic to caraway in the same way as I did to poppy seed......

11:08:56 12.04.2008 gvkb

Quote: Hollins98Anything but rohliky and housky! They taste like cotton. :D

I think you re talking about the toast bread. Now, that's 100% cotton. Rohliky have a shelf life of a just few hours before they turn rubbery. In the old times the bakers would bake them 3 times a day. The commies put the bakers out of business and the Czechs got used to the rubber duck taste because under the commies the rohliky was produced once a day in baking factories. Slowly though, the baker class is rising. Give it a decade or two and there be fresh rohliky 3x a day. The rubbery properties of old rohliky gave rise to it's unique stick shape. The shape makes it convenient to dip it in soups and gulash type dishes. That's how old rohliky are consumed.

22:41:01 04.05.2008 jerry falwell

I buy some truly excellent whole grain toast bread at Billa, nothing artificial, no E's....not cottony at all :)

22:43:51 04.05.2008 Jen

You people are weird. The only time I would use a Rohlik is to stop the bleeding or to keep my car from rolling down the street. Ever thought about how many Rohliks are consumed everyday in Czech. It's scary and repulsive at the same time. On that point I miss frozen waffles.

18:34:16 05.05.2008 Caleb Robinson

Quote: Caleb RobinsonYou people are weird. The only time I would use a Rohlik is to stop the bleeding or to keep my car from rolling down the street. Ever thought about how many Rohliks are consumed everyday in Czech. It's scary and repulsive at the same time. On that point I miss frozen waffles.

so you've tried every single rohlik baked by every single baker in the czech republic? :D

19:27:32 05.05.2008 meluzina

Quote: Caleb RobinsonYou people are weird. The only time I would use a Rohlik is to stop the bleeding or to keep my car from rolling down the street. Ever thought about how many Rohliks are consumed everyday in Czech. It's scary and repulsive at the same time. On that point I miss frozen waffles.

Amen to all that.

21:16:54 05.05.2008 Hollins98