Brno Vs. Prague

1>What city is better pound for pound? Before you say Prague, consider that it's much less expensive in Brno and it's people may be...I don't know...Less fake or more real (I've read this from other threads). 2>Also, I can't find any listings for Brno Apartments. Any ideas? Thanks for the imput all :D

03:10:23 28.03.2008 DJ Bradass

Brno has stag doos! Ever since Brno airport started the cheap flights! Both are pretty good, but if you don't mind looks then Brno is pretty sweet,

05:45:11 28.03.2008 The Ostrich Watch

Prague is a little bit nicer to look at, but everything else is better in brno/moravia, including much nicer people. my fav though is olomouc :) nice people and very very pretty

07:28:10 28.03.2008 kuba36

Quote: holdenBrno kicks butt on Prague in a laid-back sort of way. :cool: It's Prague without the taxi thieves, the pickpockets, the tourists (or hen and stag groups), or the architecture or Vaclavsky nam whores (the Moravian pros are better looking as long as you pass the Roma ones at hl.n.). It doesn't have Prague's variety of night life but that shouldn't matter since all I ever hear of anyone doing from this site is going to fatboys. ;) First google: http://www.brnenskyzvonek.cz/

\ and cheaper i find this statement to be 100% correct

07:30:33 28.03.2008 kuba36

Brno isn't really cheaper when you consider the salary differences. Certainly rents and property costs seem high in Brno compared to the lower incomes there. Also, Brno is small, with not a lot to do compared to Prague. I certainly get bored there very easily. The upside of Brno is that it is only 20 minutes from Marefy (the greatest place in the country).

08:04:22 28.03.2008 Ledni Tonda

Brno has beaten all 4 Prague football teams at its home stadium this year. Beat Bohemians 2-0, Sparta 4-2, Zizkov 3-1, Slavia 2-1. Prazsky kurvy!!!

08:09:18 28.03.2008 T-Bone

Go away, PD / CMI. Your trolling is not even funny.

10:27:57 28.03.2008 Thora

I've been to Brno many times and I simply don't like it. The city itself is very ugly and although they do have very good restaurants, it just feels like a larger village. Pound for pound, Prague is the better place although Moravians can be nicer but that too is very subjective. Consider the things you want (or can live without) in a city and make your choice. Some people on this site live in small towns and that's fine for them whereas for people like me, it is not an option.

10:34:44 28.03.2008 Cheech M

A depressing place, limited places to get a decent meal, plenty of thieves around. Even the highway seems more smooth when you're driving away from it (in any direction)

10:36:03 28.03.2008 Paul Weaver

Quote: DJ Bradass1>What city is better pound for pound? Before you say Prague, consider that it's much less expensive in Brno and it's people may be...I don't know...Less fake or more real (I've read this from other threads). 2>Also, I can't find any listings for Brno Apartments. Any ideas? Thanks for the imput all :D

First, www.rksting.cz - sylvie.chmelarova@rksting.cz should solve your accommodation woes. Second, if you believe Brno is less expensive than Prague these days you are in for one big shock. Third, the people are pretty much the same - the notion that Praguers are less friendly is a myth created by the idiots who are too lazy to learn the language and integrate into the Czech society

10:40:22 28.03.2008 LEEDER

A ten minute train ride from the center of Brno to any of the surrounding villages will get you accomodation at a good price. I don't think you could say the same about Prague? I also think you can rent a small flat in Brno for less than 8,000Kc per month. Can you do that in Prague?

10:45:14 28.03.2008 lubber_johnny

Quote: lubber_johnnyA ten minute train ride from the center of Brno to any of the surrounding villages will get you accomodation at a good price. I don't think you could say the same about Prague?

You're right, it's a 15 minute train ride, cos Prague is bigger. D.C.

10:48:41 28.03.2008 Dean Court

Here in Olomouc the average price of the smallest 1+1 is about 6000-7000. But I would die if I had to stay in a 1+1.

10:50:54 28.03.2008 Thora

1+1 in Brno 3800Kc per month. Can you find that in Prague? http://maxirealitybrno.cz/byt-byt_1plus1-mesto_brno-pronajem-4160/

11:08:38 28.03.2008 lubber_johnny

Quote: lubber_johnny1+1 in Brno 3800Kc per month. Can you find that in Prague? http://maxirealitybrno.cz/byt-byt_1plus1-mesto_brno-pronajem-4160/

Did you actually read that advert you posted? I am assuming you cant read czech.

11:12:06 28.03.2008 LEEDER

Quote: LEEDERDid you actually read that advert you posted? I am assuming you cant read czech.

Of course not. We have DC for that.

11:13:21 28.03.2008 lubber_johnny

Perhaps you should then, it's sharing - 3,800kc per person Monday to Friday.

11:15:51 28.03.2008 LEEDER

Quote: LEEDERPerhaps you should then, it's sharing - 3,800kc per person Monday to Friday.

Can you find that in Prague?

11:17:40 28.03.2008 lubber_johnny

Prague sux, Brno rulezzz!

11:19:37 28.03.2008 T-Bone

Quote: lubber_johnnyCan you find that in Prague?

Probably yes. The ad you posted was not only flat sharing, but ROOM sharing. Really, you don't have a case here unless you actually read the advert you posted.

11:23:11 28.03.2008 LEEDER

Prague people really are more unfriendly than non-Prague folks. The idea that those that think so obviously dont speak Czech is odd and doesnt make sense. Maybe they are unfriendly in Brno, too, though, Ive only been there once and I was drunk as hell. I did see an old drunk lady literally get thrown out onto a street there.

12:13:33 28.03.2008 Aquarius

Quote: lubber_johnnyCan you find that in Prague?

Hey Lubber Look what I found - seems he doesn't want you staying there though :p http://prague.tv/classifieds/viewpost.php?postid=40189 1 room flat, share 3 person in one room, Rent 4000kc per person/month, electricity bill not include with rent room is clean and good. 3500kc deposit, Room with, Fridge, TV, Washing Machine, WC, Kitchen. alcoholic person not allowed, Islam Mob-774294598 najrulislam@hotmail.com

12:41:45 28.03.2008 LEEDER

There are three reasons that people would live anywhere in CZ other than Prague: 1/ They can not afford to move to Prague 2/ They are attached to somebody that thinks that Hicksville is great and is too scared to move 3/ They have a genuine business (i.e. THEY employ people) and that business needs their management skills where they are. Anyone that gives any other reason is simply too stupid to understand, or more likely has never actually lived in Prague.

12:44:36 28.03.2008 LEEDER

Don't listen to these knuckleheads that think Prague is better. Brno is 100X better hands down and cheaper. I rent a 2+1 in the center. I live in the building where Billa is so when I walk out of one door I'm on Namesti Svoboda. My rent there is 11,000Kc all bills included. Could you get the same deal in the center of Prague? Hell no. Also, I can walk two minutes maximum and have a Bernard for 24kc, or Pegas for 30kc, or Svijani for 22kc all in the center. Most people on here pay 40Kc for what they admit is shite beer in Fatboys. Also, for teaching, I earn more than teachers in Prague that I've spoken to. The ladies here are better looking as well. As for restaurants, you just don't know where to go. I suggest reading Brewsta's posts about Brabander etc... and not going to Mcdonald's or KFC

12:45:10 28.03.2008 dreday35

Quote: LEEDERThere are three reasons that people would live anywhere in CZ other than Prague: 1/ They can not afford to move to Prague 2/ They are attached to somebody that thinks that Hicksville is great and is too scared to move 3/ They have a genuine business (i.e. THEY employ people) and that business needs their management skills where they are. Anyone that gives any other reason is simply too stupid to understand, or more likely has never actually lived in Prague.

I could live in Prague anytime, but never have because it is full of stupid tossers like yourself.

12:46:01 28.03.2008 dreday35

...said the expert psychologist. What about people who lived before in cities X times bigger than Prague and are just sick of traffic jams and crowded streets? In which category do those fall?

12:46:47 28.03.2008 adrian.badea

And dreday is right. :) I live in Lisen myself and it seems the most enjoyable neighborhood I've ever lived in. 15 mins by tram to the center, maximum 15 mins by car to most supermarkets, an Albert just around the corner. Huge parking spaces, fully-fledged forest across the street, 10 mins to the D1.

12:49:47 28.03.2008 adrian.badea

Quote: dreday35I could live in Prague anytime, but never have because it is full of stupid tossers like yourself.

Then you are the stupid tosser because I live in Olomouc. Get your facts straight sonny before you spout your foul mouth off

12:50:47 28.03.2008 LEEDER

I'd've loved to live in Prague a few years back. Now...no way. I don't even like visiting it much.

12:54:43 28.03.2008 Aquarius

Like all choices you make, it comes down to what you desire/need. Personally, its Prague for me. I want all the big city facilities and choices that Prague offers. Like someone mentioned above, if you come from another big city (I'm from London) than Prague seems positively village like. Far easier to live in than London without the logistical drawbacks (stinky tube, joke traffic etc).

12:55:11 28.03.2008 Hawkins

Quote: LEEDERThere are three reasons that people would live anywhere in CZ other than Prague: 1/ They can not afford to move to Prague 2/ They are attached to somebody that thinks that Hicksville is great and is too scared to move 3/ They have a genuine business (i.e. THEY employ people) and that business needs their management skills where they are. Anyone that gives any other reason is simply too stupid to understand, or more likely has never actually lived in Prague.

I do not live anywhere near Prague. 1/ I can easily afford Prague ( I probably get paid better than being in Prague) 2/ I am single 3/I am employed, and do not have a business. next?

12:55:58 28.03.2008 Jezek

Quote: LEEDER Third, the people are pretty much the same - the notion that Praguers are less friendly is a myth created by the idiots who are too lazy to learn the language and integrate into the Czech society

i beg to disagree on that... and can even find quite a few people to second the opinion of course it does not apply to 100% of praguers 100% of the time, yet, generally speaking, there is something to this "myth" as you put it

12:58:00 28.03.2008 meluzina

Sure not one hundred percent of Praguers are jerks, I'd even guess many of them are not. Just...all the ones I deal with are. It's weird. Let 'em sell their cheap chinese made glass trinkets and "I got opily-silly in Prague!" key chains, so long as I don't have to see them.

12:59:57 28.03.2008 Aquarius

Quote: meluzinai beg to disagree on that... and can even find quite a few people to second the opinion of course it does not apply to 100% of praguers 100% of the time, yet, generally speaking, there is something to this "myth" as you put it

Seconded.

13:00:24 28.03.2008 Jezek

hmmmmmmmmmmmmm well then i guess i am stupid :D none of the above apply to me....

13:02:28 28.03.2008 meluzina

I bet your average Praguier would club baby seals if given the chance. Then they'd overcharge them, throw them back their change with a snarl and steal the wallet right out of their pockets.

13:05:01 28.03.2008 Aquarius

So why, Leeder, are you staying in Olomouc?

13:05:56 28.03.2008 Thora

Leeder knows it all.

13:06:14 28.03.2008 The8

Is this about yourself LEEDER?? IE: You are attatched to someone that thinks hicksville is great, you have a genuine business that is crap and needs all your attention to make a little money, and therefore cannot afford to live in Prague!!! :cool:

13:07:23 28.03.2008 Jezek

I am from Sydney and: 1. I can afford to move Prague, i've been to Prague many times. I like it as a tourist, however would never want to live there. 2. I came to Brno by myself and of my own accord. (your mother is from hicksville; wherever that may be) 3. I do not own a business Brno is a great town. Moravian people have big hearts, are modest and are not shallow posers like the cajzli from Prague. The prices here; Food/accomodation, are reasonable when compared to the salaries people make. Its much safer here. Brno is not an 'anonymous' city where you can do something and get away with it. You will always see that person again somewhere, everyone knows this and behaves accordingly. The best wine stays in south Moravia. The food is great here, lots of nice restaurants and not just in the center. There are many cultural festivals in Brno and its surroundings which are not designed for tourists. If you want to go to a big city for shopping ect then Vienna is 1 hour away by car. Bratislava is less than 1 hour away. I wouldnt live in Prague even if i was offered a million crowns. But hey, thats just me.

13:08:04 28.03.2008 T-Bone

Jesus H Christ! What a ridiculous thread. D.C.

13:28:15 28.03.2008 Dean Court

Quote: T-BoneI am from Sydney and: 1. I can afford to move Prague, i've been to Prague many times. I like it as a tourist, however would never want to live there. 2. I came to Brno by myself and of my own accord. (your mother is from hicksville; wherever that may be) 3. I do not own a business Brno is a great town. Moravian people have big hearts, are modest and are not shallow posers like the cajzli from Prague. The prices here; Food/accomodation, are reasonable when compared to the salaries people make. Its much safer here. Brno is not an 'anonymous' city where you can do something and get away with it. You will always see that person again somewhere, everyone knows this and behaves accordingly. The best wine stays in south Moravia. The food is great here, lots of nice restaurants and not just in the center. There are many cultural festivals in Brno and its surroundings which are not designed for tourists. If you want to go to a big city for shopping ect then Vienna is 1 hour away by car. Bratislava is less than 1 hour away. I wouldnt live in Prague even if i was offered a million crowns. But hey, thats just me.

Oh and I forgot to mention; if i see you and you are an expat from Prague, I will flush your head in the Hotel Padowetz toilets, count on that.

13:45:25 28.03.2008 T-Bone

Quote: T-BoneOh and I forgot to mention; if i see you and you are an expat from Prague. I will flush your head in the Hotel Padowetz toilets, count on that.

Definitely the worst toilets in Brno. I used to meet my old dealer there.

13:53:40 28.03.2008 dreday35

so anyone who chooses to live elsewhere than prague is stupid? you are a complete idiot, so why do you live in moravia? why dont you go back to prague, im pretty sure us hicks wont miss you. and how the hell can you say that brno is the same cost has prague?? your a complete tool and you can see by most of the replys no one likes you. ps most people who live in moravia do speak some czech, prague is one of the only places in the CZ where you can gt by speaking no czech. prague may be the pretty but i will take the people and food of moravia any day!

14:03:35 28.03.2008 kuba36

leader id like to run you down with my horse and buggy. us hicks cant afford much else

14:05:35 28.03.2008 kuba36

This thread gets more ridiculous by the page. D.C.

14:09:19 28.03.2008 Dean Court

Come on, this is no contest, Brno is a small run-down city, Prague is a first class city in the Eastern European tradition. Brno is the place where I first landed in eastern Europe in 2004, and it has a special meaning to me, but it is no place to live. All you have to do is walk where Tesco is, and you get such a grim view of the everyday life there. I visit there quite often, usually to catch a plane to Barcelona or London, and I know for a fact that a) it is hard to find good cheap food there b) beer is more expensive than in Prague (I live in Letna and get Bernard for 21 kc anytime) c) the place outside the main drag and some of he main squares, parks, and the castle is a complete dump, depressing, cheap (cheap like Czech people are, I don't know about prices but they cannot be much at all, who would pay anything for the stuff there??), just awful really, like Bratislava outside the old town. Anyone who claims anything else here is wearing a blind-fold. You could easily settle this by taking someone who has never been near here first to Brno and then to Prague. NO ONE would prefer Brno, period. I went there first, I liked the place for a couple of days, but then it started to depress me, it is so poor, uncosmopolitan, and small. Coming to Prague, well it's different. Comparing Prague to Brno is like comparing the Earth to the Moon.

14:15:07 28.03.2008 petforsberg

WTF has that got to do with the price of eggs BH? D.C.

14:20:55 28.03.2008 Dean Court

Quote: petforsberg Brno is the place where I first landed in eastern Europe in 2004,

Moved has it? D.C.

14:21:37 28.03.2008 Dean Court

Oops, just seen BH's post at the bottom of the last page. I wasn't referring to your post with my comment. D.C.

14:22:19 28.03.2008 Dean Court

nice one butthead :) very good point! and yes prague is much more pretty than brno, brno however has much nicer people and is quite a bit cheaper. ps if you drink bernard beer you are a very sick person. most people will not listen to someone with such poor taste

14:33:26 28.03.2008 kuba36

People are the same everywhere. Mainly peenasses. Prague or Brno are both full of peenass people. So if I were you I would chose go for the one with more facilities.

14:34:46 28.03.2008 maxd

Quote: kuba36ps if you drink bernard beer you are a very sick person. most people will not listen to someone with such poor taste

I believe most beer connoisseurs would say the opposite. D.C.

14:35:33 28.03.2008 Dean Court

Quote: kuba36nice one butthead :) very good point! and yes prague is much more pretty than brno, brno however has much nicer people and is quite a bit cheaper. ps if you drink bernard beer you are a very sick person. most people will not listen to someone with such poor taste

I disagree, Bernard unfiltered, unpasteurized is amazing. Brno is definitely cheaper for beer than Prague. The prices I quoted for beers are in Brno center. Letna, last time I looked at a map is not in the center or Prague. I'm sure if I went the same distance from the center in Brno as Letna is from Wenceslas Square I could find good beers for 17Kc or less.

14:37:45 28.03.2008 dreday35

As for people being nicer in Brno. I went for lunch today in Prague, got good service. Met my Ukrainian builders who were also polite. Generalisations are sad that people in X are better than Y.

14:38:16 28.03.2008 maxd

dc come on, bernard is the cheapest beer in the CZ, every bum i see on the street is drinking Bernard. DC what about radegast or gambrinus?

14:41:01 28.03.2008 kuba36

Quote: kuba36dc come on, bernard is the cheapest beer in the CZ, every bum i see on the street is drinking Bernard.

Go investigate the different types of Bernard beer and then get back to me. Bernard Cerny would be a good place to start. D.C.

14:43:00 28.03.2008 Dean Court

dre why is unfiltered, unpasteurized beer better? not sure i know the diffrence.

14:43:21 28.03.2008 kuba36

Cos it's as God intended it, rather than the EU...... D.C.

14:44:39 28.03.2008 Dean Court

DC i will do that, Im always open to more beer maybe i was drinking the cheaper kind before, I have never tried the black bernard but will!

14:45:25 28.03.2008 kuba36

i went to brno for a conference once and it was pretty much a sh*t-hole. i thought it looked like a crap hollywood set of prague. but then again i also think the majority of prague is a sh*t-hole, too. go figure.

14:46:52 28.03.2008 DoubleFister

DC/DRE i will have to give it a fair try, i very well could be wrong on this one. i never really drank bernard because of how cheap it was, I will have to do some in depth research, my wife wont be happy but i might have to drink 1 "or six" in order to get my facts straight! :)

14:48:30 28.03.2008 kuba36

Quote: petforsbergI live in Letna and get Bernard for 21 kc anytime

Letna is not the center of Prague. On Pekarska St which is 3 minutes from Brno's center you can get good skopek of beer for 15kc (hospoda na schodech). On Cejl, which is about 5 minutes walk from the center you can find a pint for 13kc and a shot of rum or vodka for 8kc (sindibad bar)

14:50:01 28.03.2008 T-Bone

Kuba, if you like Gambrinus, then you will love Bernard. It's probably cheap because it's from a small brewery that's only been open since 1991 or so. I heard if you go to pubs around where Svijani is made you can get it for 13Kc and Svijani is probably the best Czech beer, with Bernard being a close second.

14:50:57 28.03.2008 dreday35

right on t-bone, no one is arguing that brno is more pretty than prague, just cheaper

14:52:53 28.03.2008 kuba36

Dreday, i most likly was wrong and talking out of my ass :) like i said before this calls for some in depth research. I will drink a bunch than report back to you! im sure i will find it tasty. and who knows maybe i will have a new fav. pivo thanks to u and dc!

14:56:06 28.03.2008 kuba36

I think anyone who is arguing about which is better is really feckin stoopid. It's all to do with personal taste. D.C.

14:56:23 28.03.2008 Dean Court

dc very true, its hard to compare two cities that are so diffrent in so many ways

14:59:03 28.03.2008 kuba36

Quote: kuba36dc very true, its hard to compare two cities that are so diffrent in so many ways

Ding! We have a winner! D.C.

14:59:48 28.03.2008 Dean Court

"ParanoiD", like it! Good work sir! D.C.

15:11:14 28.03.2008 Dean Court

if you are a fancy little girl who likes pretty things, likes to do touristy things, not interested in the local culture, cant live without your Starbucks and rubbing shoulders with your other expat tosser friends, then Prague is for you. If you are a real man, and like good food, hard liquor, cheap beer, a bit of grit and grime, stunning women who can drink you under the table, locals with heart, drunk dancing at the Vinobrani festivals, warmer weather, then Brno is the place to be

15:19:11 28.03.2008 T-Bone

FFS! Stop being so ridiculous. D.C.

15:20:58 28.03.2008 Dean Court

http://www.kinosvetozor.cz/en/ D.C.

15:35:23 28.03.2008 Dean Court

Is there any good fishing in Brno?

15:49:57 28.03.2008 bait

Quote: baitIs there any good fishing in Brno?

The upper reaches of the Svratka river are good for fishing. If you drive 30 minutes south of Brno, the Vranov dam is quite good

15:56:03 28.03.2008 T-Bone

yes many places to fish in moravia

16:56:50 28.03.2008 kuba36

Unbelievable. Simply unbelievable. Do you guys waste every day like this?

17:07:51 28.03.2008 LEEDER

Quote: LEEDERUnbelievable. Simply unbelievable. Do you guys waste every day like this?

When you're at work why not? When not at work I have some very entertaining programs for myself.

17:11:01 28.03.2008 dreday35

F off leeder. dont you have something better to do?

17:21:44 28.03.2008 kuba36

cmi pm me i have many czech movies with englsh subtitles, i will make u copies for 50kc each. try to find czech people to talk with, u wont learn czech from watching movies, what really helped me was living in a small village where not 1 person spoke englsh, czech is vey hard and studying wont get you very far, in fact tudyuing alone will do more harm then help you need to find people to talk with, find someone who does not speak englsh and talk with them everyday, i use to go on long roadtrips with my father in law who owns a trucking comnpany, this is when i would really started to learn czech. but anyway let me know if you want the movies the 50kc will cover blank dvd and postage, i can send them next week if u like

17:28:15 28.03.2008 kuba36

Quote: kuba36F off leeder. dont you have something better to do?

Apparently more than most of you all do.

18:09:30 28.03.2008 LEEDER

Prague indeed has its charms, but I like Brno for day in day out living. Anytime I've ever been in Prague, I just could never relax, I always felt uptight regardless of what part of it I was seeing. Brno feels like a living city, not a showpiece. I feel relaxed, I can go about my business as I see fit without trying to avoid beeing in some tourist's viewfinder... Brno is also a very good jumping off point to some very worthwhile sites in South Moravia. If you come to Brno and feel its a horrible place, there is a good rail connection to Moravsky Krumlov. Five minutes in that place will elevate your opinions about Brno exponentially. As for comments about nobody speaking English here; I've been here almost four years and I've noticed English becoming much more prevalent here than it was when I arrived. Additionally, that comparision of Brno to Bratislava is crazy. I like Bratislava for its centre, but to say that Brno looks like the rest of Bratislava is just a plain old insult to Brno. It simply isn't that bad. For myself, I live in a small flat in Zidenice. My rent is reasonable in relation to my pay and I've got three tram lines within spitting distance of my building that can get me to the centre in less than 10 minutes. Its not a spectacular district of town but certainly is far from being a dive and is quite safe.

20:03:53 28.03.2008 cancze

Quote: holdenf) BOTH Moravian women and men are more attractive than Bohemians... ;) ) :p

that is a fact, i find my wife to be proof of that:D and leeder, i was just fooling about :) no hard feelings i hope....afterall i have plenty of time on my hands, we are not moving back to moravia untill next week, at the moment im watching my two boys "ages 3 and 8 weeks" which i sometimes think is much harder to do than a job.. anyway all, im off to the park, mate hezky vikend

20:13:23 28.03.2008 kuba36

Quote: kuba36that is a fact, i find my wife to be proof of that:D and leeder, i was just fooling about :) no hard feelings i hope....afterall i have plenty of time on my hands, we are not moving back to moravia untill next week, at the moment im watching my two boys "ages 3 and 8 weeks" which i sometimes think is much harder to do than a job.. anyway all, im off to the park, mate hezky vikend

:eek: Your poor wife. Only 5 weeks difference between the two?

20:25:48 28.03.2008 Thora

Quote: kuba36that is a fact, i find my wife to be proof of that:D and leeder, i was just fooling about :) no hard feelings i hope....afterall i have plenty of time on my hands, we are not moving back to moravia untill next week, at the moment im watching my two boys "ages 3 and 8 weeks" which i sometimes think is much harder to do than a job.. anyway all, im off to the park, mate hezky vikend

No hard feelings at all. I just despair at the ignorant attitude that most people that use this site have. There are far too many people who seem to live their whole lives out on this site. I was reading yesterday about the 'outing' of somebody's infidelity here yet he isn't even on the site to defend himself. Sadly, it seems to be a small group of about ten people who have their own little 'circle' and don't like new people joining. Already I have been attacked several times and am not really a 'newbie' as such given I have been working alongside Czechs for many years.

20:31:48 28.03.2008 LEEDER

Well, Leeder, you have not been answering question. You have insulted everyone who does not live in Prague. You have irritated people with your visual terrorism. But if you think you have been attacked so far, you are in for a great surprise.

20:42:27 28.03.2008 Thora

Quote: ThoraWell, Leeder, you have not been answering question. You have insulted everyone who does not live in Prague. You have irritated people with your visual terrorism. But if you think you have been attacked so far, you are in for a great surprise.

Oh do your worst Thora. What sort of petty threat is that? The fun part of this site (for me) is that you really do live your lives on here don't you? I am passionate about the seal thing yes, and all people have done is take the piss and the whole first thread was deleted. I state a few home truths and I get attacked on here. Well, sorry, but my life is outside the internet and a few idiots attacking me on an internet forum will not scare me. Do carry on, awaiting your onslaught

20:49:47 28.03.2008 LEEDER

Hey, I am not attacking you. I am just saying attacks can be much worse here. The whole "I have a life outside the internet" boast is so passé.

20:55:55 28.03.2008 Thora

Quote: ThoraHey, I am not attacking you. I am just saying attacks can be much worse here. The whole "I have a life outside the internet" boast is so passé.

Oh, okay, I apologise, the way it was worded I took as another attack at me, which is par for the course on this site ;) My point about the 'life outside the internet' doesn't seem to be quite so passé as you put it, there is a small group of people on here who are ruining what could be a very good forum bt simply pressing F5 all day it seems to me.

21:01:45 28.03.2008 LEEDER

hmmmmmmmm well i feel i have been attacked by being called stupid :(

21:02:42 28.03.2008 meluzina

I am stupid also. I live outside Prague. My intent was to make you all realise that this is a stupid thread. Especially since the original post was about pound for pound

21:07:22 28.03.2008 LEEDER

no kidding - but if you want to see stupid... try this one on for size... http://www.expats.cz/prague/t-131419.html

21:13:32 28.03.2008 meluzina

Did I mention somewhere about living lives on the internet? ;)

21:16:31 28.03.2008 LEEDER

this site happens to be the best distraction i have from work....... always good for a laugh or two... and it's much better to irritate strangers than customers, dont' ya think?

21:23:01 28.03.2008 meluzina

Three minutes to read the "Do Czechs hate foreigneres" thread - it must be a record.

21:26:15 28.03.2008 Thora

Quote: Thora:eek: Your poor wife. Only 5 weeks difference between the two?

Thora, 3 year old boy and 8 week hold boy, 3 years apart :)

23:17:27 28.03.2008 kuba36

haha wow Brno is winning the poll by a lot. Looks like a lot of Prague haters on this site

23:18:42 28.03.2008 marlon911

the web site is a nice distraction and a good outlet for englsh language entertaiment. we can all relate to the topics beacuse we are all part of a very small group, we are all englsh speakers living or haved lived in this forgin land. Spending my free time here is more entertaining and more educational than watching tv, which is what many many people do.....

Quote: LEEDERDid I mention somewhere about living lives on the internet? ;)

23:37:30 28.03.2008 kuba36

Quote: kuba36the web site is a nice distraction and a good outlet for englsh language entertaiment. we can all relate to the topics beacuse we are all part of a very small group, we are all englsh speakers living or haved lived in this forgin land. Spending my free time here is more entertaining and more educational than watching tv, which is what many many people do.....

Bollocks! Pardon my french. It's full of people with nothing better to do all day than jump on anything they can as and when they feel fit I have yet to see a valid piece of advice offered here

23:43:47 28.03.2008 LEEDER

hey i have given some good advise, and gotten great advise regarding my cv from some people whio work in hr. I to consider myself to me new here and can relate to feeling like an unwated outsider at times. i think it just takes time to understand the personalities of the people who post here. but overall who cares what people write about you, I welcome people who speak there minds here. the more people posting the better the site. i hope u contuine to post, than i wont feel so new myself :)

23:51:25 28.03.2008 kuba36

Ah. Yes. Good advice? Where? It gets deleted like my seal thread because it doesn't fit. Let's face it, there's a group of ten people who think it is their playground and try to scare off anyone who challenges their view

00:36:37 29.03.2008 LEEDER

I would not disagree, i have made 216 posts and still very much feel like an outsider. Leeder how long have you lived in the CR? I first moved in 1998 i have spent most of the last 10 years living in the CR and I feel that most people on this site discredit my posts just because i only joined a few months ago, as you can see we both have very high membership numbers but regardlesss i realy enjoy this site, i enjoy the threads and i enjoy seeing the regulars make posts and get into pissing matches with new people. and like i said i already owe alot of thanks and happiness to this site and the members who post here, Just in a few months Ive learned the best places to eat a meal in prague places i have not been, where to find hard to get items, the best way to get internet and tv "alot has changed in the last two years". the proper way to write a Europiean CV, how to ship items from home cheaper than what i knew in the past, how to register my bmw from the states here and best of all i was reintroduced to football by one of the site regulars and now will get to coach and play football which is one of my true passions in life, all of this was made possabile or made alot easier beacuse of this site. As for ten people running things id say almost all of the above mentioed help was provided by site regulars who went out of there way to provide me with some help, so to them I say thankyou and to you, well, like i said it is entertaining when new posters get upset!

01:32:23 29.03.2008 kuba36

Quote: holdenMarlon, that's a real stretch. I'm one of the votes for Brno... and that sure as hell doesn't say i "hate" Prague. It says what most of us have posted... we "prefer" Brno as a place to live over Prague :cool:

It was kind of meant as a joke so slow down. I just dont really see much of a comparison from my point of view. Brno is nice dont get me wrong, but Prague is just much better place to live in my opinion. But then again I am the big city (if you want to call Prague a big city compared to Brno) type of guy. I've been to nice smaller cities across Europe so I see the appeal of Brno and places like Brno; less busy, less crime, economically more offordable (most of the time), usally friendlier people, but Prague just outweighs it in pretty much every aspect. Prague actually outweighs many other big cities for me as well. Remember in my opinion, not bashing you guys. And the funny thing is most of you probably would have never heard of Brno, nevermind visited or moved there, if it wasn't for Prague.

02:38:19 29.03.2008 marlon911

i voted for brno, but i first moved to the CZ because of prague, prague is where i met my wife and the place i lived for 3 wild years and its the place i still love to spend time in. since then i have moved to moravia and found the quality of life there betters suites me, the beer and food are a little cheaper but just as good, the people are nice, the girls are too :) there is beauty everywhere it may not take shape in the form of a beautiful city like prague but there is natural beauty everywhere, from the wine planted hills of hodin to the snow capped peaks of the beskydy mountains, moravia is beautiful, beautiful in nature, beautiful in culture, and beautiful in people:)

03:03:40 29.03.2008 kuba36

Right, Holden. Leeder is certainly suspicious. If not PD, at least a good imitation of him.

06:41:27 29.03.2008 Thora

Nevim vubec kdo jste nebe kdo myslyte ze jsem, ale opravdu potrebuete zit v realnim svete. Ucite se cesky a poznat zivy lide ne fontomy na internetu.

08:35:57 29.03.2008 LEEDER

I lived in Prague for a while and didn´t think it was all that great. Sure, there are some wonderful places to visit, but do you really need to live right beside them and put up with all that hassle, expense, and capital city pompousness? Architecturally, the thing I like most about Brno is the clifftop setting of the cathedral. The main square is an awkward mongrel and Špilberk has all the elegance of a pig farm. Things that Brno prides itself on, like Kudrna´ s wheel, the stuffed crocodile and the crooked spire on the town hall are uninspiring at best. Olomouc is the place for me, but if I was going to move I would choose Hradec Králové. Liberec and Znojmo are two more places with city amenities, reasonable prices, approachable people, clean air, easy access to the countryside, and somewhere to go swimming without getting pickled in chlorine. What a pity the poll only has two choices...

08:46:01 29.03.2008 CaptainOddsocks

I agree. Apparently there are cities in CZ other than Prague and Brno, who would have thought, eh?

08:53:10 29.03.2008 LEEDER

Quote: LEEDERI agree. Apparently there are cities in CZ other than Prague and Brno, who would have thought, eh?

not only cities, eh? i like my bivouac in the middle of a field :D and i prefer boars to the bores...

09:05:51 29.03.2008 meluzina

I totally agree. There was no need to take me so literally

09:11:25 29.03.2008 LEEDER

Quote: LEEDERNevim vubec kdo jste nebe kdo myslyte ze jsem, ale opravdu potrebuete zit v realnim svete. Ucite se cesky a poznat zivy lide ne fontomy na internetu.

tez nevim kdo ses a od kud si prisla (prisel? vlastne nevim zda ses zena anebo muz) a opravdu myslis, ze lidi berou vetsinu veci tady (tedy na expats) vazne? tedy osobne, doufam ze ne, jelikoz mas pravdu v tom, ze je tu hodne kravovin vsak je take ale pravda, ze, jak kuba rikal, se tu najde i dost informaci co se tyce urcitych veci - ale co se tyce denniho zivota, tak moc ne (aspon dle meho nazoru)... take je pravda, ze se tu objevuji lide, kteri jenom provokuji - pro nic za nic - a pravda je, ze tak mi pripadaly tve prvni prispevky (asi jsem necetla vsechny) - tak se nediv reakci pro mne, expats je vlastne muj jediny "pokec" v anglictine - beru malo co vazne, ale je tu obcas sranda ;)

09:22:01 29.03.2008 meluzina

a nez reknes ze potrebuji ralni zivot - bohuzel musim podat danove priznani v pondeli - ale nejak se mi nechce :(

09:28:17 29.03.2008 meluzina

Quote: CaptainOddsocks Olomouc is the place for me, but if I was going to move I would choose Hradec Králové. Liberec and Znojmo are two more places with city amenities, reasonable prices, approachable people, clean air, easy access to the countryside, and somewhere to go swimming without getting pickled in chlorine. What a pity the poll only has two choices...

I am glad to see you here, Oddsocks. I have your website bookmarked. I really love your photos.

09:30:04 29.03.2008 Thora

Cheers Thora, I'm here actually because of you. I was curious about the visitors who turned out to be coming from a link that you posted. Thanks for that. I always appreciate new readers, especially if they happen to find what they're looking for and turn into regulars ;-)

10:31:18 29.03.2008 CaptainOddsocks

Quote: holdenTrue, but I'm VERY progressive for an old fart. ;) Being the almost septuagenarian of this site also has a lot to do with my personal preference for Brno. Hell, I turn into the pumpkin at 22:00, not Midnight. :eek: PS: If I go any slower I'll be walking backwards.

Posting at 2.49am? Some pumpkin....:D I don't believe you are any closer to being a septuagenarian than I am.....but I couldn't even vote for Brno, far too large for my tastes :)

12:21:05 29.03.2008 gvkb

thora/captain can you post the link again? i loke pictures:)

16:12:02 29.03.2008 kuba36

http://captainoddsocks.blogspot.com/

17:15:16 29.03.2008 Thora

thora thankyou so much i love stories! i will enjoy this site very much, have a great day. and if anyone knows of some similar sites please pass them along, travel stories are wonderfull

17:18:25 29.03.2008 kuba36

Quote: holdenDear gvkb, you forgot that I'm back in the states and am 7 hours behind you (until tonight, and then 8 hrs) ;) As for septuagenarian... give me six months and I'll be there. :cool:

Ah yes ok.....doesn't the time move forward there then? And yes, you have me beat on the other too - by three and a half years or so :)

19:49:08 29.03.2008 gvkb

the time moved forward in the states 3 weeks ago, this is the 2nd year in a row that they moved it up, they thought that moving it up 3 weeks would provide more hours of day light, in reality energy use is up 3% the last two years, so ts just another useless thing

20:01:44 29.03.2008 kuba36

Quote: kuba36the time moved forward in the states 3 weeks ago, this is the 2nd year in a row that they moved it up, they thought that moving it up 3 weeks would provide more hours of day light, in reality energy use is up 3% the last two years, so ts just another useless thing

doesn't mean they were wrong. you don't know what energy usage would have increased by the past two years if they didn't change it.

20:06:19 29.03.2008 skotik

Quote: Thorahttp://captainoddsocks.blogspot.com/

Ooh nice website. I picked up a couple of good CK tips. I have to go there so often and have regrettably got into a groove of same eating places, same walking tour. I shall certainly try The Two Marys next time round. By the way the Baroque Theatre is not to be missed though it's hard to get on a tour of it. You need to book in advance or at least as soon as you arrive in the town.

20:12:01 29.03.2008 gvkb

umm, im not syaing they are wrong or right, just stateing a fact that since they changed it two years ago power use is up 3% which is a very large increase which the power sector is blaming on the change of time. anyway i dont care, just hate to see people use more power when they dont need to

Quote: skotikdoesn't mean they were wrong. you don't know what energy usage would have increased by the past two years if they didn't change it.

20:59:11 29.03.2008 kuba36

Quote: meluzinatez nevim kdo ses a od kud si prisla (prisel? vlastne nevim zda ses zena anebo muz) a opravdu myslis, ze lidi berou vetsinu veci tady (tedy na expats) vazne? tedy osobne, doufam ze ne, jelikoz mas pravdu v tom, ze je tu hodne kravovin vsak je take ale pravda, ze, jak kuba rikal, se tu najde i dost informaci co se tyce urcitych veci - ale co se tyce denniho zivota, tak moc ne (aspon dle meho nazoru)... take je pravda, ze se tu objevuji lide, kteri jenom provokuji - pro nic za nic - a pravda je, ze tak mi pripadaly tve prvni prispevky (asi jsem necetla vsechny) - tak se nediv reakci pro mne, expats je vlastne muj jediny "pokec" v anglictine - beru malo co vazne, ale je tu obcas sranda

Ahojte Mele, Muzim rici zes mne prekvapil (bez -a), muzu se zeptat jak jste se ucila pokecat v cestine tak dobre? Na to macham uz skoro tri roky, asi je jasny ze nic moc jsem se neucil, alespon ne jak vy. Bych rad „slyset“ od ostatni clene tady jak oni se dari se cestinou, nebo psat asi. Mate spravnou postoj ze expats je jenom nejaky srandu, ale je to smula, protoze muze byt vic, ale bohuzel kdyz lide jake DC a jeho kamosi bude znicovat kazdy otasku, to novaci bude mit strach septat co koliv protoze dostanu lekce anglicky gramaticky misto odpoved na (co je pro ne) dulezite otazku. Mezdi ty blbosty je velmi tesky zjistit co je pouzivatelni a co neni. Ale jak rikate mezi ty kravine jsou nekdy nejaky inteligentni slova. A na stesti moje anglictina je dost dobre ze i kdyz nekdo pise nejaky gramaticke chyby nepotrebuji cist deset stran od ty „domaci tymem“ jak se pise „ztracit“ ne „uvolnit“ v anglictine a jeste dvacet stran proc anglicane jso tak chytry a americane jsou blbce. Bouzel ja nemam vase trpelivost. Nasel jsem tento stranku pred davnou, a furt jsem mel strach psat jake koliv udeje. Jasne je ze nesem clen domacim tymem ?. Podivejte na tu Thoru; nevim vubec kdo je, ona mne kontactovala pres PM (bouzel pravidla nepovoli uverejnit co ona rikala), ale je trochu divnej ze mne ted sleduje a zada o moje odstranenim ze expats. Je to velmi nepratelsky postoj co oni maj proti nam zacatecnici a vypada ze oni nechce rozsirit tym. Mam vlice rad vase postoj a ze neberete nic tady vazne, asi o tech tulenach jsem vzal trochu vazne ale uz rozumim ze ty blbci tady ne slouzi to. Chci vam moc podekovat za ty chytre slova. Doufam ze priznani posilajte na cas a platite co nej min. Skusim dal pokecat tady, a doufam ze bude trochu uspech.

01:14:41 30.03.2008 LEEDER

A big sorry to Dean Court for the spelling and grammatical mistakes there btw. Feel free to correct all you like

01:20:14 30.03.2008 LEEDER

Quote: Thorahttp://captainoddsocks.blogspot.com/

--- ditto --- thanks Thora for a very useful site, especially for us expats that find it difficult to read or write in Czech! Tried to walk from Zlata Hora to the southern border of Austria, through Brno some 2 x years ago. Got only as far as 'somewhere' south of Jesenik, as the trail maps do not necessarily run in a true north/south heading. Oddsocks biking alternatives could therefore be a much more viable option! :D

04:06:33 30.03.2008 ricci

Quote: LEEDERAhojte Mele, Muzim rici zes mne prekvapil (bez -a), muzu se zeptat jak jste se ucila pokecat v cestine tak dobre? Na to macham uz skoro tri roky, asi je jasny ze nic moc jsem se neucil, alespon ne jak vy. Bych rad „slyset“ od ostatni clene tady jak oni se dari se cestinou, nebo psat asi.

hmmmmm mozna, ze je to tim, ze mluvim cesky uz pres 40 let ;) hlavni je snaha - co ty (a budeme si tykat, ne?) jasne mas - neni to jednoduchy jazyk pro lidi kteri nejsou zvykle na pady napis mi pm kdyz tak - preci jenom se tenhle nas rozhovor sem tak uplne nehodi

09:30:05 30.03.2008 meluzina

Quote: CaptainOddsocksCheers Thora, I'm here actually because of you. I was curious about the visitors who turned out to be coming from a link that you posted. Thanks for that. I always appreciate new readers, especially if they happen to find what they're looking for and turn into regulars ;-)

Has Norwegian Fred been by the hostel lately?

11:32:14 31.03.2008 dreday35

Leeder, I've seen more posts by you than anyone else on this thread...How much of your day is spent on the internet?

19:36:50 31.03.2008 DJ Bradass

Quote: dreday35Has Norwegian Fred been by the hostel lately?

Haven't seen him for quite a while now. Which is a pity, because he's the most well-travelled (within CZ) foreigner I know here and he always has good tales to tell...

09:35:51 01.04.2008 CaptainOddsocks

Quote: CaptainOddsocksHaven't seen him for quite a while now. Which is a pity, because he's the most well-travelled (within CZ) foreigner I know here and he always has good tales to tell...

Found out he's still in Krumlov at the 99, but plans to go back to Norway soon. Not only is he well travelled, but he's one of the most meticulous cleaners I've ever seen.

10:48:51 01.04.2008 dreday35

was in the Husa on Tuesday night, the place was packed till midnight!

12:53:24 03.04.2008 praguepivo

Hey, I was in Husa too on Tuesday.

13:16:08 03.04.2008 Thora

Prague is more industrial in all subjects-restaurants,clubs,job oportunities,and Brno is a place for tipical patriot people,cos czech patriots dont like cosmopolitan city Prague.so who wants to get in tipical czech mentality go to Brno.

22:48:33 03.04.2008 latecia

Charlie says "What a stupid topic" It's like saying who is best, Mum or Dad?

23:23:37 03.04.2008 Quackers

Quote: QuackersCharlie says "What a stupid topic" It's like saying who is best, Mum or Dad?

Dear old mum.

10:52:20 04.04.2008 dreday35

I was at the university for a job fair presentation, I was told there are 200K+ students in the city..

10:54:22 04.04.2008 praguepivo

I don't think there's more than 60,000. 200,000 would be half the population of Brno.

10:56:49 04.04.2008 dreday35

Yes, quite a good film. The blone haired actress, with the glasses, who seduces they main character's brother molested me one New Year's Eve in Alfa Pasaz.

11:10:38 04.04.2008 dreday35

so as brno is mentioned in this thread - will anyone be at the tech agro, vetex, silva regina combined trade fair on tuesday?

11:52:57 04.04.2008 meluzina

Quote: meluzinaso as brno is mentioned in this thread - will anyone be at the tech agro, vetex, silva regina combined trade fair on tuesday?

unfortunately not, i will be at the Horse and Plow convention

11:56:13 04.04.2008 T-Bone

No, although I work a stone's throw away, I usually only go to the car fair to gawk at the models.;)

11:56:55 04.04.2008 dreday35

Quote: dreday35No, although I work a stone's throw away, I usually only go to the car fair to gawk at the models.;)

well you could gawk at tractor and combine models at this one ;)

12:48:04 04.04.2008 meluzina

Quote: buttheadAnd any tekkie should go to invex!!

I think "über-nerd" is the prefered nomenclature

14:50:23 04.04.2008 T-Bone