Chat

Expat Life

Watching BBC TV online

Tigger53
Member: #38782
Reply with quote Send this user a private message View this users profile
The BBC has recently launched iplayer (www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer). This service allows you to watch BBC programs that were transmitted over the last seven days that you may have missed. You watch the programmes using internet explorer (IE) with the help of an activex control of their design.

Sounds like a wonderful idea but it has a flaw (for us anyway).

It only works if you are in the UK!!!!! ARGH! So close but still so far!

The system checks your IP address to make sure that you are in the UK. Question is, is there a way around this? I was thinking about getting a friend over there to send me the files but this apparently would not work because to watch them I would need to install the iplayer activex control into ie and this can’t be done from outside the UK. Damn (or words to that effect…).

Is there another way to watch my favourite BBC TV over the Internet? I know about YouTube… I also do not want to have to subscribe to a satellite provider.
Report abusive posts or users
11-01-08, 02:00 PM

JAM70
Member: #11478
Google IP mask
11-01-08, 02:03 PM

Tigger53
How do I do that?
11-01-08, 02:10 PM

UK007
Member: #6515
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger53
How do I do that?

Go to www.google.com and enter IP MASK into the search box then hit the search button!
11-01-08, 02:20 PM

jezbo
Member: #26551
Question is what does iplayer do if you are masking your IP. Will still probably block it. You have some preferred software which can make it look like your IP is in a given country?
11-01-08, 02:20 PM

jezbo
Member: #26551
Why am I able to watch the latest Never Mind The Buzzcocks I wonder? I'm not masking my IP, and I'm in firefox too (it says IE only).
11-01-08, 02:32 PM

Tigger53
How? I went to the iplayer page, went to the NMTB page and was told that it was only viewable by people in the UK. Here is the page I got: http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/page/i...on_pid=b008p9sq

I too am using Firefox without IP masking
11-01-08, 02:46 PM

The views expressed here are those of the authors and not those of Expats.cz. By posting, you agree to our COC and Terms of service
Unhelpful or offensive posts may be deleted without warning, along with user account. Report abuse here.