Watching BBC TV online

The BBC has recently launched iplayer (www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer). This service allows you to watch BBC programs that were transmitted over the last seven days that you may have missed. You watch the programmes using internet explorer (IE) with the help of an activex control of their design. Sounds like a wonderful idea but it has a flaw (for us anyway). It only works if you are in the UK!!!!! ARGH! So close but still so far! The system checks your IP address to make sure that you are in the UK. Question is, is there a way around this? I was thinking about getting a friend over there to send me the files but this apparently would not work because to watch them I would need to install the iplayer activex control into ie and this can´t be done from outside the UK. Damn (or words to that effect…). Is there another way to watch my favourite BBC TV over the Internet? I know about YouTube… I also do not want to have to subscribe to a satellite provider.

13:00:26 11.01.2008 Tigger53

Google IP mask :)

13:03:24 11.01.2008 JAM70

How do I do that?

13:10:33 11.01.2008 Tigger53

Quote: Tigger53How do I do that?

Go to www.google.com and enter IP MASK into the search box then hit the search button!

13:20:03 11.01.2008 UK007

Question is what does iplayer do if you are masking your IP. Will still probably block it. You have some preferred software which can make it look like your IP is in a given country?

13:20:41 11.01.2008 jezbo

Why am I able to watch the latest Never Mind The Buzzcocks I wonder? I'm not masking my IP, and I'm in firefox too (it says IE only).

13:32:09 11.01.2008 jezbo

How? I went to the iplayer page, went to the NMTB page and was told that it was only viewable by people in the UK. Here is the page I got: http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/page/item/b008p9tg.shtml?q=never&go=Find+Programmes&scope=iplayersearch&start=1&version_pid=b008p9sq I too am using Firefox without IP masking

13:46:47 11.01.2008 Tigger53

I just clicked on the pic on the home page you first posted - it's playing! Odd, but I'm not complaining... (yes I am in Prague)

13:49:16 11.01.2008 jezbo

I wonder if it uses Google Analytics to find out where you are from. I did do something to my pc to block that a while back ... I hate spyware ...

13:50:44 11.01.2008 jezbo

Quote: jezboWhy am I able to watch the latest Never Mind The Buzzcocks I wonder? I'm not masking my IP, and I'm in firefox too (it says IE only).

I belief Firefox ignores activeX controls. Maybe using Firefox is the loophole.

13:57:42 11.01.2008 efanton

I am using firefox and can actually open that BBC page here but it dont work. But I could strangley get to the radio part so got the world service going for the first time in over 4 months!!!!

14:03:05 11.01.2008 The Ostrich Watch

I wonder if it uses Google Analytics to find out where you are from. I did do something to my pc to block that a while back ... I hate spyware ...

Hi Jezbo, What did you do exactly?

14:06:30 11.01.2008 Tigger53

Quote: jezboI wonder if it uses Google Analytics to find out where you are from. I did do something to my pc to block that a while back ... I hate spyware ...

Considering the BBC spend millions on their system, I'd be surprised - but absolutely delighted - if that's all it is. Tell us what you did and then we'll have to eat the thread so Auntie doesn't find out about it!

14:24:07 11.01.2008 Meridian

I have been watching BBC World and ITV (just at certain times) here: http://www.myp2p.eu/channel.php But suddenly today I can't get anything anymore. But whole computer feels slow. Who knows? Was looking forward to BBC World Documentaries this weekend.

14:39:42 11.01.2008 Thora

I did this - let me know if it works.

14:58:25 11.01.2008 jezbo

Only issue now is my internet connection isn't fast enough to play without pauses, and it doesn't seem to cache the file so that I can wait til it all loads and then replay.

15:07:51 11.01.2008 jezbo

Quote: jezboOnly issue now is my internet connection isn't fast enough to play without pauses, and it doesn't seem to cache the file so that I can wait til it all loads and then replay.

Me neither but any BBC would be better than nothing. Will have a go - thanks.

15:09:29 11.01.2008 Meridian

I'll see if WM Recorder can capture it next time ...

15:16:08 11.01.2008 jezbo

Quote: ThoraI have been watching BBC World and ITV (just at certain times) here: http://www.myp2p.eu/channel.php But suddenly today I can't get anything anymore. But whole computer feels slow. Who knows? Was looking forward to BBC World Documentaries this weekend.

The BBC lawyers have been going after websites offering BBC content very aggressively and for the most part forcing them to remove the content or shut down.

15:20:40 11.01.2008 Ledni Tonda

Quote: jezboI did this - let me know if it works.

I was doing well and got to Windows XP Home c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts I had copied the list that you're supposed to add (I presume it should include the first line with Google in it) but I didn't seem to be able to amend the page. I'd opened it in IE - should I have opened it in something else? It did worry me that it told me that I shouldn't be mucking about with these files but I'm prepared to have a go!

15:25:46 11.01.2008 Meridian

Try notepad.

15:27:42 11.01.2008 morpheus

Quote: morpheusTry notepad.

What's notepad? Just right click and copy & paste? Or something else? I did that to copy the lines but then when I opened the file to add them, I couldn't amend it.

15:42:34 11.01.2008 Meridian

If you can't find it on your Start menu, try Start/Run, then type notepad.exe Open the hosts file from there, edit and save.

15:45:27 11.01.2008 jezbo

Someone else must have tried it by now, however, I guess it doesn't work.

15:48:54 11.01.2008 jezbo

Guys, Simply go to 'www.myp2p.eu' click on 'LIVE TV' click on 'UK' enjoy

15:59:39 11.01.2008 bassist

I managed to get to it from notepad and just copied it onto the bottom of the existing text. Don't know if that was what I was supposed to do. But sadly, when I went to iplayer, it still said you couldn't access TV programmes from outside the UK, so it didn't work - unless I added the lines in the wrong place or something.

16:00:58 11.01.2008 Meridian

Quote: gazza101Wahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay!!! Suckers :) :)

I'll remember that comment next time Channels 4 & 5 disappear and you need a new Sky card! ;)

16:52:46 11.01.2008 morpheus

Quote: bassistGuys, Simply go to 'www.myp2p.eu' click on 'LIVE TV' click on 'UK' enjoy

Yes, I've already got that and watch Coronation Street on it. What Jezbo's managed to do is to by-pass the bar on non-uk viewers watching all BBC programmes via their new iplayer. Because of rights issues, presumably the same thing that's caused the strike in the US, you can only watch in the UK and the BBC can tell where you're pc is.

18:26:07 11.01.2008 Meridian

Does this mean everyone has given up? Is everyone going to simply do as they are told? :eek: And there I was thinking that we had some rebels in our midst! :D I´ll get back to you when a solution has been found (unless, of course, someone beats me to it…!) ;)

20:30:49 13.01.2008 Tigger53

Quote: Tigger53Does this mean everyone has given up? Is everyone going to simply do as they are told? :eek: And there I was thinking that we had some rebels in our midst! :D I´ll get back to you when a solution has been found (unless, of course, someone beats me to it…!) ;)

I spent about two hours trying to get a workaround, and without success. During the search for a solution I stumbled upon tvcatchup.com which looks at least as interesting as bbc streaming, but alas it has the same problem of rejecting overseas ip addresses :(

21:16:20 13.01.2008 Ledni Tonda

All the UK TV VoD services use Kontiki to provide the content in much the same way as a P2P software does. As far as I'm aware, there is currently no published crack for the geotargeting of Kontiki. Yet.

21:28:34 13.01.2008 morpheus

I use "ChangeMyIp" software, works a treat, but you do have to pay $20 a year subsciption which I suppose is for being able to choose a UK IP address. iPlayer is working fine here in Prague 6 :p

21:40:52 13.01.2008 Cook

I clicked on www.myp2p.eu yesterday evening and had a very pleasant evening watching all the ITV channels. It was as simple as pointing and clicking. Only question I have...I know I was watching BBC World live, as I had the same program on my TV, but are the ITV programs live or just selections we can watch??? Thanks for whoever let me know about this site

22:29:31 13.01.2008 Andy C

ITV are live - for example, Lewis (the Morse spin off) was showing this afternoon at the same time as on regular SKY TV (I don't know if thats true 24/7 - it just happened to be the case today)

22:33:06 13.01.2008 Cook

Quote: Andy CI clicked on www.myp2p.eu yesterday evening and had a very pleasant evening watching all the ITV channels. It was as simple as pointing and clicking. Only question I have...I know I was watching BBC World live, as I had the same program on my TV, but are the ITV programs live or just selections we can watch??? Thanks for whoever let me know about this site

Yes, the ITV is live, because I checked their website to find the programmes I wanted to watch. They have lovely old shows on ITV3. But ITV is only available to me at certain times and I have now totally lost BBC World on my computer :confused: .

22:38:54 13.01.2008 Thora

Quote: CookI use "ChangeMyIp" software, works a treat, but you do have to pay $20 a year subsciption which I suppose is for being able to choose a UK IP address. iPlayer is working fine here in Prague 6 :p

So you've been able to watch BBC programmes?

22:52:42 13.01.2008 Meridian

Yes. For a long time. When they started blocking content to normal BBC video I figured the $20 investment was worth it.

23:01:35 13.01.2008 Cook

Quote: CookYes. For a long time. When they started blocking content to normal BBC video I figured the $20 investment was worth it.

Sounds great - you might have started something here. I did start trying to sign up last night but got cold feet because I don't actually understand what I'm doing. I understand what the result will be viz the BBC will think my laptop is actually in the UK rather than Prague because I'm going to pick one of those domain names ending in org.uk or co.uk. What I don't understand is whether doing that has any other consequences. It's not going to mess up my email or anything is it? What is my domain name at the moment? Is it something we don't ever need to know? I presume it makes no difference to anything else, otherwise you wouldn't have done it but I just need a bit of reassurance!

07:40:36 14.01.2008 Meridian

Quote: MeridianI did start trying to sign up last night but got cold feet because I don't actually understand what I'm doing.

Cookie is banking on that. Don't pay any money, you'll be wasting it!

08:54:03 14.01.2008 morpheus

Quote: morpheusCookie is banking on that. Don't pay any money, you'll be wasting it!

So he gets off on duping innocents like me? Nice. Thanks for warning me off wasting my time - and money.

16:41:57 14.01.2008 Meridian

Quote: Ledni TondaDuring the search for a solution I stumbled upon tvcatchup.com which looks at least as interesting as bbc streaming, but alas it has the same problem of rejecting overseas ip addresses :(

That was a minor problem and easily solved, but there's a bigger problem as of today - tvcatchup.com has been shut down :mad:

19:53:46 14.02.2008 Rodney Cheeselow

Quote: Rodney Cheeselowthere's a bigger problem as of today - tvcatchup.com has been shut down :mad:

But now it's back on. Live streaming of 15 UK channels. You have to be in the UK when you sign up (or a friend does it for you) but once you've done that it will then work from anywhere.

18:22:51 26.10.2008 Rodney Cheeselow

Got My Grandaughter To Reg For Me Give Them A Name And Password Bingo Working Great

09:44:31 02.11.2008 charlieash

Anyone used one of those slingbox thingies? I've got a pretty techsavvy brother in England - I was thinking that I could get the box installed in his house. Be Broadband do an upload speed of 1.3 mbps for 18 quid a month.

13:14:38 02.11.2008 Brampton

catchup seems to be off air - anyone else having problems????????????????

19:42:49 02.11.2008 leytonmike

Quote: leytonmikecatchup seems to be off air - anyone else having problems????????????????

I'm now getting a message telling me I can't use it because I'm not in the UK. UPDATE: According to their forums: "IP checks are carried out by a third party, MaxMind, who have tonight updated their procedures, thus denying access to accounts which somehow bypassed our internal verification system." So it's back to other solutions.

20:57:43 02.11.2008 Rodney Cheeselow

yep, me too.:eek:

Quote: Rodney CheeselowI'm now getting a message telling me I can't use it because I'm not in the UK.

21:09:34 02.11.2008 leytonmike

me too :( only started using it on Friday - was just looking forward to Top Gear :(

21:16:12 02.11.2008 ailsa jane

I've tried messing around with proxies and I really think it's unreliable and not worth the effort. For easy and reliable access to UK-only sites like tvcatchup and BBC iPlayer, I'd suggest getting a VPN account. These two both have UK servers: http://www.consult-here.com/vpn.html 1 Month VPN Server Service $9.95 3 Months VPN Server Service $25.95 6 Months VPN Server Service $49.95 http://www.vpngates.com 1 monthl $15 3 months$40 6 months$70 12 months$120

21:22:21 02.11.2008 Rodney Cheeselow

Thank, Rodney. I Guess you can't get something for nothing and you have to pay for consistent delivery.

21:45:02 02.11.2008 Thora

not quite 'something for nothing' in my case - i still pay my uk tv licence.

Quote: ThoraThank, Rodney. I Guess you can't get something for nothing and you have to pay for consistent delivery.

22:10:21 02.11.2008 leytonmike

tvcatchup.com is working for me today, although only in Internet Explorer.

10:28:22 03.11.2008 dukeene

Quote: gazza101Looks like the old 2 meter dish is still the way to go for the moment

Or if you have a fairly techsavvy relative in Britain, a slingbox and a decent uplink (I believe you can get about 1.3 gbps for 18 quid a month). By the by, has anyone got one of those wifi standalone radios? I keep on thinking of getting one, but whenever you read reviews on Amazon, for every one of them there are always a few people complaining about crashes and connectivity problems, which does kind of put me off, especially as we can now get all the best radio stations via satellite using a sensible sized dish.

10:15:56 05.11.2008 Brampton

are you in cr? i tried ie but still got blocked.:mad:

Quote: dukeenetvcatchup.com is working for me today, although only in Internet Explorer.

10:25:59 05.11.2008 leytonmike

I am in Pardubice, CR. I just checked again and it is working, although I don't see the new channels....you mentioned, I have nine in total. I am using Mozilla again as well - works for me now in both IE and Mozilla I am going to the site with the following bookmark. http://www.tvcatchup.com/channel/1/

10:37:22 05.11.2008 dukeene

now, thats weird!!!! i got that link with firefox but as soon as i tried to go to another channel from bbc1 i was locked out!! there are new channels on the new page - fiver, bbc news24, etc but this is the pre-nov 1st page. stranger and stranger.:confused:

Quote: dukeeneI am in Pardubice, CR. I just checked again and it is working, although I don't see the new channels....you mentioned, I have nine in total. I am using Mozilla again as well - works for me now in both IE and Mozilla I am going to the site with the following bookmark. http://www.tvcatchup.com/channel/1/

10:42:23 05.11.2008 leytonmike

I can change channels ok... very strange... Can you change channels if you edit the URL to channel 2 or 3 etc?

10:51:40 05.11.2008 dukeene

Quote: charlieashGot My Grandaughter To Reg For Me Give Them A Name And Password Bingo Working Great

Right. Just so I understand how this works. You give someone in the UK a name and password. They use them to register on the TVcatchup site on their computer. You then sign on on your computer in the CR, using that name and password and the TVcatchup system thinks that you're actually using the computer in the UK. Is that how it works?

14:54:46 05.11.2008 Meridian

Quote: MeridianRight. Just so I understand how this works. You give someone in the UK a name and password. They use them to register on the TVcatchup site on their computer. You then sign on on your computer in the CR, using that name and password and the TVcatchup system thinks that you're actually using the computer in the UK. Is that how it works?

It is how it used to work. However, they stopped it working that way a few days ago. So now there is no point in signing up :(

14:58:24 05.11.2008 Ledni Tonda

I thought there were still people here - see other similar thread on the go at the moment, if not on this one - that still have it working?

15:00:31 05.11.2008 Meridian

There seem to be one or two, although it has stopped working for most people.

15:04:05 05.11.2008 skoba uk

I don't see how they still have it working, unless they are going through a UK proxy.

15:05:22 05.11.2008 Ledni Tonda

Quote: Ledni TondaI don't see how they still have it working, unless they are going through a UK proxy.

Or using vpn as mentioned in a previous post in this thread. 100% reliable, costs malo and lets you watch BBC iPLayer and ITV.com as well.

15:10:41 05.11.2008 Rodney Cheeselow

I have no idea why, but it still works for me. I am not using a VPN or a Proxy, just the log in details my brother in the UK gave me.

15:14:01 05.11.2008 dukeene

Quote: dukeeneI have no idea why, but it still works for me. I am not using a VPN or a Proxy, just the log in details my brother in the UK gave me.

Which ISP are you using?

15:15:35 05.11.2008 Rodney Cheeselow

I will check when my girlfriend gets home, I am at her place and she set up the connection...some cable company.

15:21:53 05.11.2008 dukeene

it seems to stop working when you download the newest adobe flash player v10!!!!!!!:mad:

Quote: skoba ukThere seem to be one or two, although it has stopped working for most people.

15:48:57 05.11.2008 leytonmike

Quote: dukeeneI will check when my girlfriend gets home, I am at her place and she set up the connection...some cable company.

It's been a while. Time to face facts - she's not coming back.

19:28:59 12.12.2008 Rodney Cheeselow