Engagement ring customs?

What is the Czech tradition as related to engagement rings? In America and most of Western Europe it's the gold band with a diamond or diamonds. I know in some European countries it's simply a gold or silver band. I'm sure there is a little of everything depending on who you ask but I was wondering what the "traditional" offering was...

15:36:00 14.10.2007 Jman2

Quote: Jman2What is the Czech tradition as related to engagement rings? In America and most of Western Europe it's the gold band with a diamond or diamonds. I know in some European countries it's simply a gold or silver band. I'm sure there is a little of everything depending on who you ask but I was wondering what the "traditional" offering was...

According to my (Czech) wife, a diamond ring is becoming more common here, but is still not that common. Many folks view it as a waste of money, and, of course, in many cases a diamond is simply too expensive. There is no specific tradition - a ring of course, but not with any specific stone or setting. At the same time (again, according to my wife) few Czech women would complain about receiving a diamond ring of course!

17:11:08 14.10.2007 Ledni Tonda

Good luck and congratulations.

17:16:41 14.10.2007 legs

some czech website about weeding said some stuff about on which finger it should be worn and they should be indentical and some techincal stuff about gold but nothing about traditions...

22:13:18 14.10.2007 malehood

You may get brownie points* by proposing (in the most romantic setting possible) and present a 'token' ring, or red rose etc.. The positive spin would be that you would not feel comfortable choosing a ring, without your future wife (ex-girlfriend :D.. ) approving. Worked for me ;) *Needed once the novelty has worn off.

22:53:39 14.10.2007 lubber_johnny

Formal engagement is very rare here. Most people would know it only from romantic movies.

02:03:39 15.10.2007 jjj

I would say how you propose is more important than what sort of ring (if any) you hold. Diamond rings are by no means custom in czech, it started just recently. Big bunch of flowers, romantic surprise and nice ring will make your girlfriend very happy. The custom is however that after proposing the wedding should take place within a year.

06:20:16 16.10.2007 Ilsalmi

Then the divorce within 5-10, by which time she'll feck off with all yer money anyway, no matter what ring you brought her :D

08:30:17 16.10.2007 JackDaniels

Quote: jjjFormal engagement is very rare here. Most people would know it only from romantic movies.

Be careful. It depends on the family! Many families/women expect you to ask their father/mother for their hand. It's a tradition (especially in Moravia and Slovakia) If they are at all traditional you might want to do this first (and if they say no then at least you know where you stand with the family!)

12:07:45 16.10.2007 Tonz

I was supposed to ask my wife's father for her hand... But he didn't speak English. Back when I proposed, the diamond ring I gave her needed to be sized (it was just a little bit loose.) Not one of the stores we went to would size the ring once they found out it was a real diamond (and they all checked.) I had to get it sized in the US. I'm sure I could have gotten away without getting her a ring, but hey, sometimes my traditions get to play, too. :)

14:24:57 16.10.2007 dwinkel

Ask the parents it will go a long way. Had my wife teach me how to say it in Czech and it's been great ever since. Did the diamond and most of her friends liked it & their guys of course said is was a waste of money. Your call, few women don't like diamonds. Use white gold or platinum, the color looks great with the diamond. Good luck!

18:23:35 16.10.2007 jlwaltman

Diamonds will look nice in 20 years as well, and will keep their value. In contrast to the holder.

14:50:08 17.10.2007 BGI