Chat

Expat Life

Engagement ring customs?

Jman2
Member: #10189
Reply with quote Send this user a private message View this users profile
What is the Czech tradition as related to engagement rings? In America and most of Western Europe it's the gold band with a diamond or diamonds. I know in some European countries it's simply a gold or silver band. I'm sure there is a little of everything depending on who you ask but I was wondering what the "traditional" offering was...
--
Jman
Report abusive posts or users
14-10-07, 04:36 PM

Ledni Tonda
Member: #8526
Lord of His Castle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jman2
What is the Czech tradition as related to engagement rings? In America and most of Western Europe it's the gold band with a diamond or diamonds. I know in some European countries it's simply a gold or silver band. I'm sure there is a little of everything depending on who you ask but I was wondering what the "traditional" offering was...

According to my (Czech) wife, a diamond ring is becoming more common here, but is still not that common. Many folks view it as a waste of money, and, of course, in many cases a diamond is simply too expensive. There is no specific tradition - a ring of course, but not with any specific stone or setting. At the same time (again, according to my wife) few Czech women would complain about receiving a diamond ring of course!
14-10-07, 06:11 PM

legs
Member: #30091
Good luck and congratulations.
14-10-07, 06:16 PM

malehood
Member: #6529
some czech website about weeding said some stuff about on which finger it should be worn and they should be indentical and some techincal stuff about gold but nothing about traditions...
14-10-07, 11:13 PM

lubber_johnny
Member: #37299
You may get brownie points* by proposing (in the most romantic setting possible) and present a 'token' ring, or red rose etc.. The positive spin would be that you would not feel comfortable choosing a ring, without your future wife (ex-girlfriend .. ) approving.

Worked for me

*Needed once the novelty has worn off.
14-10-07, 11:53 PM

jjj
Member: #24966
Formal engagement is very rare here. Most people would know it only from romantic movies.
15-10-07, 03:03 AM

Ilsalmi
Member: #16544
I would say how you propose is more important than what sort of ring (if any) you hold. Diamond rings are by no means custom in czech, it started just recently. Big bunch of flowers, romantic surprise and nice ring will make your girlfriend very happy. The custom is however that after proposing the wedding should take place within a year.
16-10-07, 07:20 AM

The views expressed here are those of the authors and not those of Expats.cz. By posting, you agree to our COC and Terms of service
Unhelpful or offensive posts may be deleted without warning, along with user account. Report abuse here.