recipes for fruit dumplings (ovoce knedliky?)

Does anyone have a recipe for fruit dumplings? My nanna used to make them for me in Australia but I never managed to get any of her of recipes. I have seen a couple of different recipes ... one uses potatos as the base for the dough and another that uses cheese (does anyone know the czech name of the cream cheese that is used for the dough?)... I would welcome any info. Thanks.

14:25:55 06.07.2007 starfish

Sorry only in Czech: Recept: KYNUTÉ OVOCNÉ KNEDLÍKY Typ diety: alergie na mléko, intolerance laktózy alergie na vejce Suroviny pro přípravu jídla: Postup přípravy jídla: KYNUTÉ OVOCNÉ KNEDLÍKY KYNUTÉ OVOCNÉ KNEDLÍKY-připravíme si kvásek(na přibližně 50 dkg hrubé mouky 3 dkg droždí,trochu cukru a mouky),smícháme s moukou, špetkou soli, vodou,ev. olejem. Vypracujeme tuhé těsto a necháme ho asi půl hodiny kynout.Pak vyválíme placku,rádlíčkem uděláme čtverce,dáme na ně ovoce(švestky,třešně atd.),zabalíme a hodíme do vařící vody.Vaříme 8-10 minut. Recept na pokrm: KYNUTÉ OVOCNÉ KNEDLÍKY pro Vás připavil(a): Denisa Poznámka k receptům: uvedené suroviny musí být vždy v souladu s individuální dietou

Quote: starfishDoes anyone have a recipe for fruit dumplings? My nanna used to make them for me in Australia but I never managed to get any of her of recipes. I have seen a couple of different recipes ... one uses potatos as the base for the dough and another that uses cheese (does anyone know the czech name of the cream cheese that is used for the dough?)... I would welcome any info. Thanks.

14:29:34 06.07.2007 rubomiru

I wrote down a recipe for fruit dumplings with cream cheese (tvaroh) while watching a friend making it. I will look for it. It is without yeast.

16:03:16 06.07.2007 Thora

And another one here: :p let me know when you will make them :) http://na-zdravi.blogspot.com/2006/05/kynute-knedliky-raised-fruit-dumplings.html Kynute Knedliky *2 cups all-purpose flour *3/4 cups skim milk (lukewarm) *4 tablespoons sugar *1 self-rising yeast packet *1 egg *1 teaspoon salt *2 tablespoons vegetable oil *16 pieces of halved fruit of your choice In a small bowl, pour yeast packet into lukewarm milk and mix well. Add in sugar and 2 tablespoons of the flour and mix. Cover bowl and place in a 150-degree heated oven for about 10 minutes. Mixture should begin to bubble. In a Kitchen Aid, mix remaining flour, egg, salt, and oil. Now add the bubbly mixture and mix until dough forms. Cover dough and place back into the heated oven for 1 hour, until dough rises and doubles in size. Once dough has risen, cut off tablespoon-sized portions of dough. Spread each dough ball out, place fruit filling of choice, wrap fruit with dough, and pinch all sides to seal completely. Steam prepared dumplings for about 15 to 20 minutes. Top with melted butter and sweetened cocoa powder, cottage cheese mixture (mix cottage cheese with rum, raisins, and lemon rind) or a sweetened fruit sauce of your choice. Enjoy!

Quote: starfishDoes anyone have a recipe for fruit dumplings? My nanna used to make them for me in Australia but I never managed to get any of her of recipes. I have seen a couple of different recipes ... one uses potatos as the base for the dough and another that uses cheese (does anyone know the czech name of the cream cheese that is used for the dough?)... I would welcome any info. Thanks.

16:05:52 06.07.2007 rubomiru

the cheese you are speaking of is mekky tvaroh - quark in english maybe?????? 250g of the cheese - 100g hruba mouka (the rougher grind of flour - dunno what it's called in australia) - 100g krupička (semolina in english i think) - 1 egg mix cheese with flour -add speck of salt - gradually add flour till dough is right consistency - hard to explain that one - so it's not sticky and can handle to make small rounds you wrap around the fruit can use for apricots, cherries, prunes, strawberries, blueberries.... topping is either grated tvaroh (the hard kind i think is called farmers' cheese?), sugar, and melted butter (my boyfriend prefers cream rather than butter) - toasted bread crunbs with sugar and melted butter - for prune ones, i am used to ground poppy seeds sugar and melted butter....

16:49:19 06.07.2007 meluzina

I don't use yeast in my fruit dumplings so here's another recipe for you. 1 and 1/2 cups milk 3/4 cups farina (cream of wheat) 1/4 tsp salt 1 egg 1 tablespoon sugar 1 to 1&1/2 cups instant flour or 00 extra 1-1&1/2 lbs fruit (peaches, apricots, blueberries, strawberries or plums) Cook milk and farina for 5 minutes to make a porridge. Cool. Add salt, egg, sugar and enough flour to make a firm dough. Break off pieces of dough and make them about 1/8 inch thick and wrap around each piece of fruit sealing well so fruit juices cannot escape. Drop into boiling water and cook for 5-7 minutes. They will flat to the top. Even though Czechs serve theirs with grated tvaroh, I prefer to serve them with ricotta cheese sprinkled on top of them, a tsp of sugar and then warm melted butter. YUM!

16:54:08 06.07.2007 Checker

this is the recipe i use for potato dough - although i tend not to make fruit dumplings out of it... 1/2 kg potatoes, cooked in skin, let cool, finely grated 100 grams the hruba mouka, 100 grams semolina - 1 egg both this recipe and the previous, the weights aren't that exact - also depends on size of eggs (sometimes i use 2 smaller and more flour and semolina) - sometimes i add a bit more flour, sometimes less - you just have to practise a bit :)

17:03:41 06.07.2007 meluzina

Thank you, all. That's great! I'll have to try them all out to compare and contrast. I know what I'm having for dinner tonight.

17:27:26 06.07.2007 starfish

maybe worth mentioning - the potato dough, other than classical potato dumpling, can also be used to made non-sweet filled dumpling with smoke meat (can use fantasy a bit as to filling) - and then finelly choppe donion sauteed on butter on top

17:40:51 06.07.2007 meluzina

Quote: meluzinathe cheese you are speaking of is mekky tvaroh - quark in english maybe?????? 250g of the cheese - 100g hruba mouka (the rougher grind of flour - dunno what it's called in australia) - 100g krupička (semolina in english i think) - 1 egg mix cheese with flour -add speck of salt - gradually add flour till dough is right consistency - hard to explain that one - so it's not sticky and can handle to make small rounds you wrap around the fruit ..

My Moravian recipe is almost exactly the same: 250g cottage cheese (tvaroh) 250g flour (the red pack - as I wrote then) 1 egg salt About 20 strawberries Mel's instructions and then Boil a pot of water. Add dumplings and when they drift to the top, they are ready. Melt butter. Roast breadcrumbs in pan and mix with some icing sugar. Dumplings in plate, then butter, then icing sugar mix

18:20:50 06.07.2007 Thora

Hmmmmm..... Well, I tried the recipe with the cheese and they were positively leaden. Good but HEAVY! Maybe that is the desired effect...? I think maybe I put in too much flour but the dough was very sticky. Perhaps the yeasted version is lighter?

13:27:32 08.07.2007 starfish

i made the same recipe today - with apricots - i actually used less flour - but my cheese had been in the freezer so it was drier than normal - which tvaroh did you use???

14:00:12 08.07.2007 meluzina

My mother's favourite anecdote was herself and her friend both baking the same cake at the same time. My mother's cake was of course lighter and higher. It is all in the action of the wrist, she said.

14:03:34 08.07.2007 Thora

Which tvaroh, as in which brand...? I used whatever brand Delvita sell which is not their own brand. It's in a plastic oblong tub with a red foil top. I used the full cream version - it took me a while to work out which was full cream and low fat. I really really need to brush up on my essential Czech food words. Not sure what to do about the wrist action, Thora. I was being closely observed by a rather sceptical observer which I don't think helped very much. I may try again when alone and see if I manage better.

16:47:41 08.07.2007 starfish

for dough i generally use the mekky tvaroh that comes in foil-wrapped cubes (like butter) - i think the one in the tubs is softer or more liquidy (if that's the right word) - although it is called the same... i use the one in the tubs for pastry filling though

17:12:28 08.07.2007 meluzina

Thanks, Meluzina. That's a useful tip. I'll give that a go.

18:27:35 08.07.2007 starfish

Tvaroh is not really cottage cheese which is like the cottage cheese here, with little lumps. The closest UK equivalent is either the German Quark or curd cheese which is becoming increasingly hard to get in the UK as it has been ousted by Fromage Frais.

22:12:22 08.07.2007 gvkb

Well, my second batch with the tvaroh wrapped in foil rather than in the tubs were a far greater success. (Also minus the sceptical observer. It does do, I'm finally learning, to take care of the company one keeps.)

20:59:39 01.08.2007 starfish

happy to hear :) yes - i always do worse with observers - when one of my cousins was visiting and helping me make the midday meal, i managed to spill ecerything, broke about 3 different dishes, and had 4 times the mess i usually have :D

21:18:35 01.08.2007 meluzina