Chat

Food & Drink

recipes for fruit dumplings (ovoce knedliky?)

starfish
Member: #30019
Reply with quote Send this user a private message View this users profile
Does anyone have a recipe for fruit dumplings? My nanna used to make them for me in Australia but I never managed to get any of her of recipes. I have seen a couple of different recipes ... one uses potatos as the base for the dough and another that uses cheese (does anyone know the czech name of the cream cheese that is used for the dough?)...

I would welcome any info.

Thanks.
Report abusive posts or users
06-07-07, 03:25 PM

rubomiru
Member: #35875
Sorry only in Czech:

Recept: KYNUTÉ OVOCNÉ KNEDLÍKY

Typ diety: alergie na mléko, intolerance laktózy alergie na vejce

Suroviny pro přípravu jídla:

Postup přípravy jídla: KYNUTÉ OVOCNÉ KNEDLÍKY

KYNUTÉ OVOCNÉ KNEDLÍKY-připravíme si kvásek(na přibližně 50 dkg hrubé mouky 3 dkg droždí,trochu cukru a mouky),smícháme s moukou, špetkou soli, vodou,ev. olejem. Vypracujeme tuhé těsto a necháme ho asi půl hodiny kynout.Pak vyválíme placku,rádlíčkem uděláme čtverce,dáme na ně ovoce(švestky,třešně atd.),zabalíme a hodíme do vařící vody.Vaříme 8-10 minut.

Recept na pokrm: KYNUTÉ OVOCNÉ KNEDLÍKY pro Vás připavil(a): Denisa

Poznámka k receptům: uvedené suroviny musí být vždy v souladu s individuální dietou

Quote:
Originally Posted by starfish
Does anyone have a recipe for fruit dumplings? My nanna used to make them for me in Australia but I never managed to get any of her of recipes. I have seen a couple of different recipes ... one uses potatos as the base for the dough and another that uses cheese (does anyone know the czech name of the cream cheese that is used for the dough?)...

Thanks.
06-07-07, 03:29 PM

Thora
Member: #27057
I wrote down a recipe for fruit dumplings with cream cheese (tvaroh) while watching a friend making it. I will look for it. It is without yeast.
06-07-07, 05:03 PM

rubomiru
Member: #35875
And another one here:

let me know when you will make them
http://na-zdravi.blogspot.com/2006/...-dumplings.html

Kynute Knedliky
*2 cups all-purpose flour
*3/4 cups skim milk (lukewarm)
*4 tablespoons sugar
*1 self-rising yeast packet
*1 egg
*1 teaspoon salt
*2 tablespoons vegetable oil
*16 pieces of halved fruit of your choice

In a small bowl, pour yeast packet into lukewarm milk and mix well. Add in sugar and 2 tablespoons of the flour and mix. Cover bowl and place in a 150-degree heated oven for about 10 minutes. Mixture should begin to bubble.
In a Kitchen Aid, mix remaining flour, egg, salt, and oil. Now add the bubbly mixture and mix until dough forms. Cover dough and place back into the heated oven for 1 hour, until dough rises and doubles in size.
Once dough has risen, cut off tablespoon-sized portions of dough. Spread each dough ball out, place fruit filling of choice, wrap fruit with dough, and pinch all sides to seal completely. Steam prepared dumplings for about 15 to 20 minutes.
Top with melted butter and sweetened cocoa powder, cottage cheese mixture (mix cottage cheese with rum, raisins, and lemon rind) or a sweetened fruit sauce of your choice. Enjoy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by starfish

Thanks.
06-07-07, 05:05 PM

meluzina
Member: #1930
Queen of Carp
the cheese you are speaking of is mekky tvaroh - quark in english maybe??????

250g of the cheese - 100g hruba mouka (the rougher grind of flour - dunno what it's called in australia) - 100g krupička (semolina in english i think) - 1 egg

mix cheese with flour -add speck of salt - gradually add flour till dough is right consistency - hard to explain that one - so it's not sticky and can handle to make small rounds you wrap around the fruit

can use for apricots, cherries, prunes, strawberries, blueberries....

topping is either grated tvaroh (the hard kind i think is called farmers' cheese?), sugar, and melted butter (my boyfriend prefers cream rather than butter) - toasted bread crunbs with sugar and melted butter - for prune ones, i am used to ground poppy seeds sugar and melted butter....
06-07-07, 05:49 PM

Checker
Member: #14823
I don't use yeast in my fruit dumplings so here's another recipe for you.

1 and 1/2 cups milk
3/4 cups farina (cream of wheat)
1/4 tsp salt
1 egg
1 tablespoon sugar
1 to 1&1/2 cups instant flour or 00 extra
1-1&1/2 lbs fruit (peaches, apricots, blueberries, strawberries or plums)

Cook milk and farina for 5 minutes to make a porridge. Cool. Add salt, egg, sugar and enough flour to make a firm dough. Break off pieces of dough and make them about 1/8 inch thick and wrap around each piece of fruit sealing well so fruit juices cannot escape. Drop into boiling water and cook for 5-7 minutes. They will flat to the top. Even though Czechs serve theirs with grated tvaroh, I prefer to serve them with ricotta cheese sprinkled on top of them, a tsp of sugar and then warm melted butter. YUM!
06-07-07, 05:54 PM

meluzina
Member: #1930
Queen of Carp
this is the recipe i use for potato dough - although i tend not to make fruit dumplings out of it...

1/2 kg potatoes, cooked in skin, let cool, finely grated

100 grams the hruba mouka, 100 grams semolina - 1 egg

both this recipe and the previous, the weights aren't that exact - also depends on size of eggs (sometimes i use 2 smaller and more flour and semolina) - sometimes i add a bit more flour, sometimes less - you just have to practise a bit
06-07-07, 06:03 PM

The views expressed here are those of the authors and not those of Expats.cz. By posting, you agree to our COC and Terms of service
Unhelpful or offensive posts may be deleted without warning, along with user account. Report abuse here.