Vaclavske Namesti Deconstruction?

I was riding through today and saw that they took out all the speed bumps and the pedestrian walk way pillars all along the part below the tramline... Is this becoming a pedestrian zone already?? Anyone know?

21:45:39 04.04.2012 eurodep

Yes, the lower part of the square from Jindrisska down is now a ped zone - cars can't even go through the end of Jindrisska and get to the upper part of the square to get on the highway - it's a right royal disaster, apparently. Haven't been brave enough to drive down there yet.

21:56:28 04.04.2012 Jen

I drive down Panska street every morning from Vinohrady and it's easy. It's not a free-for-all as there are quite a few policemen directing traffic. The problem is the morons who think that the "No stop, no parking" signs are not for them. Some details (in Czech): http://www.denik.cz/praha/vaclavske-namesti-vyhani-auta-zatim-napul-20120401-ylaa.html

23:00:50 04.04.2012 DowntownMan

I dont know the exact date, but one half of Vac Nam is slated pedestrian only, and eventually...the entire square will be closed to car traffic...only trams and pedestrians will be allowed. Thank God, it is 10 years too late, but better late than never Now, if Praha will only ban smoking from all restuarants!!!

11:00:01 05.04.2012 Sid Lickman

Then all that will remain to do is shut off the crossings to the museum forcing pedestrians to use the underpass and build another underpass for jindrisska or vodickova and job done.

11:13:49 05.04.2012 VLM

Unless you are a bus taking guests to a hotel, or a van delivering fresh (perishable) food, there is no reason for cars to be driving there at all during the day. It will be great when the whole thing is pedestrian only like it used to be. Lets also hope they get the money for the tunnel.

11:22:46 05.04.2012 JKG

I always thought they should have secretly moved RFE to another location and removed all the security around the building in hopes that it would get blown up by terrorists and magistral along with it. International money would pour into Prague and they could have used it to fix the horrible scar that highway is to the city.

11:32:38 05.04.2012 Footbiscuit

Quote: VLMThen all that will remain to do is shut off the crossings to the museum forcing pedestrians to use the underpass and build another underpass for jindrisska or vodickova and job done.

Actually, the plans are quite opposite: put the "magistrala" traffic around Museum underground...

11:35:08 05.04.2012 jezovec

Quote: JenYes, the lower part of the square from Jindrisska down is now a ped zone - cars can't even go through the end of Jindrisska and get to the upper part of the square to get on the highway - it's a right royal disaster, apparently. Haven't been brave enough to drive down there yet.

From a drivers point of view maybe. From a pedestrian's point of view it's great

21:32:04 05.04.2012 dubov

it is a total mess for cars that need to get to the bottom end on business. It took me almost an hour to get from Marsarykovo nad to the post office only to be told, even with a transport koncessni listina, I can not go down there

07:10:10 06.04.2012 praguepivo

Of course it is not my business, and everyone can have a perfectly legitimate reason for driving into Vaclavak or Staromak or on Charles bridge or wherever they want, but the idea that there are some people who drive every day around 0.5 km to get down the centre of the city with the best public transportation I´ve ever seen, well, sorry but this makes me cringe. Or laugh. Or both.

10:29:13 06.04.2012 probo

I think they should close all of Prague 1 to regular traffic and only let in delivery vehicles and taxis. It lowers pollution, maintenance and crime and raises tax levels... good for all except those who insist on driving.

10:39:48 06.04.2012 Footbiscuit

Gotta let in the residents too....too many people living there to tell them eff off and park elsewhere.

11:26:41 06.04.2012 Jen

Well... Ok, but only if they own a parking space. :-)

12:04:22 06.04.2012 Footbiscuit

Clearly the plans have been drawn up a long time, there will be some disruption, being aware of what is going always helps. I remember when Na Příkopě was being pedestrianised in 1992, it was a nightmare to walk down let alone drive down, and not surprisingly the taxi drivers didn't have a clue where to go, one took me from the Rock Cafe to RC Bunkr by driving over the rocks and rubble in is trusty 1969 Škoda 100. The idea that you can simply close central Prague or any other city to traffic is abusrd. Although many people might like to thing of Prague as a museum or an ancient version of Disney World, Prague 1 is part of a working city, there is people making things, selling things, living, eating, and drinking, I am sure the public transport system is OK, but I can't see a women taking her wedding dress on the tram for example. Why should a taxi be allowed and not a private car, a taxi is nothing more than a private car driven by a servant for profit. In a fantasy world Prague would be lovely without cars, but it would be a logistical disaster suggestions that vans can load at certain times is fine for a large business getting their stock, but for most of the smaller shops and offices it's a headache, note that everything you see in Prague 1 had to get there somehow, I doubt it came by rickshaw. It does seem that as usual this particular problem is being caused by bad planning and disorganisation, but then surely the daftness of life is part of Prague's charm; if not, there is always Munich.

03:39:39 09.04.2012 AndyZizkov

Here's the info... http://praha.idnes.cz/ridici-na-vaclavak-uz-od-nedele-nevjedete-bude-tu-pesi-zona-p3w-/praha-zpravy.aspx?c=A120330_133203_praha-zpravy_ab

03:50:00 09.04.2012 AndyZizkov

Really? Closing a part of any city is absurd? Seems the list is growing, not shrinking and in any town it has been done, it hasn't been reversed, which would indicate the benefits outweigh any negatives. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_car-free_places

09:44:49 09.04.2012 Footbiscuit

Quote: AndyZizkovWhy should a taxi be allowed and not a private car, a taxi is nothing more than a private car driven by a servant for profit.

Yes I agree. Taxi's also should not be allowed;) At least not allowed to park. Only dropping off of passengers or called in pickups. Though better would be a free mini bus service. In general most of the problems are not the driving, its the parking. So if they can make it impossible to park, the problem will over time tend to solve it self.

10:24:43 09.04.2012 JKG

Quote: FootbiscuitReally? Closing a part of any city is absurd? Seems the list is growing, not shrinking and in any town it has been done, it hasn't been reversed, which would indicate the benefits outweigh any negatives. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_car-free_places

Quote: FootbiscuitReally? Closing a part of any city is absurd? Seems the list is growing, not shrinking and in any town it has been done, it hasn't been reversed, which would indicate the benefits outweigh any negatives. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_car-free_places

This is a list of noteworthy car-free areas. The list was initially developed by J.H. Crawford on Carfree.com and expanded by others. The list is now maintained exclusively on Wikipedia.

I don't see too many new places on that list, and I have been to a fair amount of the places listed, as it was first published by a single purpose pressure group or is he just selling his (expensive) books: http://www.carfree.com/book/index.html Delivery by Amazon's bicycle or donkey service? It most certainly was reversed in Soho in London which has a similar mix of business http://www.localgov.co.uk/index.cfm?method=news.detail&id=5409 Also considered here http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/news/4791819.print/ It is fine to have car free areas, but for then to work well the whole area needs to start from scratch, which in the case of Prague 1 would be a huge upheaval, and require a reworking buildings and access. I am fully in favour of Wenceslas Square being pedestrianised, I hope they don't make it too concrete and ugly as so many others. I am sure Prague Pivo and his crews will be allowed access to the hotels once the work is finished. Unfortunately the Městská policie will have a field day dishing out tickets instead of catching the real crooks who will have an even bigger playground to ply their trade. :cool:

18:17:38 09.04.2012 AndyZizkov

The situation on Vaclavak is just the next wonderful example of the city's transport politics that is done by the piece. And based on the current "influencers". As usual, by solving one issue 4 more are created. Prague City is doomed by the green fellas who come up with brilliant ideas how to reduce the noise, the smog, the whatever pollution. By simply putting obstacles that should reduce the traffic. As expected, the traffic reroutes creating mess elsewhere, slows down, jams more and in fact throws more poison. I can name few examples but the more will come. At the same time the city council is reluctant to allow traffic experts to solve the issues in modern way using the existing infrastructure. That will take away a lion's share from the black payments and sponsorships that come from the megastructures around town who have limited impact on the local traffic but cost billions.

14:43:34 11.04.2012 BGI

Quote: AndyZizkovClearly the plans have been drawn up a long time, there will be some disruption, being aware of what is going always helps. I remember when Na Příkopě was being pedestrianised in 1992, it was a nightmare to walk down let alone drive down, and not surprisingly the taxi drivers didn't have a clue where to go, one took me from the Rock Cafe to RC Bunkr by driving over the rocks and rubble in is trusty 1969 Škoda 100. The idea that you can simply close central Prague or any other city to traffic is abusrd. Although many people might like to thing of Prague as a museum or an ancient version of Disney World, Prague 1 is part of a working city, there is people making things, selling things, living, eating, and drinking, I am sure the public transport system is OK, but I can't see a women taking her wedding dress on the tram for example. Why should a taxi be allowed and not a private car, a taxi is nothing more than a private car driven by a servant for profit. In a fantasy world Prague would be lovely without cars, but it would be a logistical disaster suggestions that vans can load at certain times is fine for a large business getting their stock, but for most of the smaller shops and offices it's a headache, note that everything you see in Prague 1 had to get there somehow, I doubt it came by rickshaw. It does seem that as usual this particular problem is being caused by bad planning and disorganisation, but then surely the daftness of life is part of Prague's charm; if not, there is always Munich.

ahhhh, the Bunkr....

15:21:10 11.04.2012 praguepivo

@BGI I agree that a lack of a real plan does indeed allow for 'dark' influences, but from what we've seen of the current Svoboda run council, these influences have been radically curtailed. As for the traffic itself, it has been shown by many cities in the west that the easier you make it for people to use cars, the more people will use cars. Therefore, I am all for any measure that makes things difficult for people to drive in the centre of the city. Please don't think I'm a radical greenie, or anti-auto Luddite as I do have a love for cars and for driving. I held an international racing license at 18 and competed in national and international rallies in the Pacific Northwest. I've just come around to the opinion that the automobile has a place, and that place is not in a city; you will never, ever satisfy it's needs.

15:48:32 11.04.2012 Footbiscuit

Quote: Footbiscuit@BGI I agree that a lack of a real plan does indeed allow for 'dark' influences, but from what we've seen of the current Svoboda run council, these influences have been radically curtailed. As for the traffic itself, it has been shown by many cities in the west that the easier you make it for people to use cars, the more people will use cars. Therefore, I am all for any measure that makes things difficult for people to drive in the centre of the city. Please don't think I'm a radical greenie, or anti-auto Luddite as I do have a love for cars and for driving. I held an international racing license at 18 and competed in national and international rallies in the Pacific Northwest. I've just come around to the opinion that the automobile has a place, and that place is not in a city; you will never, ever satisfy it's needs.

Wadda hack! the next thing you'll be telling us is some of your best friends have driver's licenses!

16:01:58 11.04.2012 Kreatokefalo

Ah, the call of the Meathead... all noise and no content. Reminds one of a rutting moose.

16:25:51 11.04.2012 Footbiscuit