New arrival in the smoke

Wow!!!! I just arrived and I can see so many people have passion for smoke. Basement clubs, bar with poor ventilation and clouds of cheap, chemically cigarettes, not even organic tabak. When none smoking places will be available? It seems that possible in another 20 years. No government laws to smoke outside only? Well, it goes with the adventure of traveling across Europe. Thank God for Canada and the USA for none smoking indoor laws. Safety fire and lungs first.

13:40:27 27.01.2011 jemiguel

Next I suppose you will be looking for pepper. In summer it will be deodorant on the metro, and ultimately do Czechs hate foreigners.

14:46:15 27.01.2011 JKG

What is this I hear about pepper all over the forums?

15:28:49 27.01.2011 Edvar

not sure, we found pepper (whole pepper corns and ground) quite easily ;-) OTOH, as a recent arrival myself, I am amazed at the amount of smoking in just about every public place. But, you are wrong about no smoking sections in restaurants and bars. We have found many many places that have non smoking sections. Of course, these tend to be in the least attractive parts of a restaurant or bar (like in a back room, away from any view or windows). But still, they do have them. As far as Czechs hating foreigners, I'd have to say that most grocery store clerks and check-out people sure seem to have a real problem with paying customers who happen not to speak the language.

22:52:33 06.02.2011 pfschim

They have a real problem with people who do speak the language as well. Just because you don't understand, there is no reason to take it personally.

23:55:40 06.02.2011 Footbiscuit

Let's not forget the sox n sandals...

04:49:32 07.02.2011 nomadness

Bus and tram stops are non-smoker friendly. You can go and sit there.

06:40:32 07.02.2011 meddo

I'm a smoker myself and can't stand smoking indoors. Especially in old buildings with absolutely no ventilation. Is it really that hard to get off your fat ass and step outside for a cigarette? And good luck with non-smoking bus/tram stops. That's definitely a law on paper rather than in practice.

00:01:38 09.02.2011 staringatthesun

Slowly but surely family members are being diagnosed with smoking related illnesses... the mystique should fade soon enough. I even spotted an alcoholism awareness ad the other day on TV!

15:58:50 09.02.2011 BabySeals

Don't hold your breath. Years of 'drive safely' ads have done nothing to improve Czech driving.

Quote: BabySealsSlowly but surely family members are being diagnosed with smoking related illnesses... the mystique should fade soon enough. I even spotted an alcoholism awareness ad the other day on TV!

16:05:48 09.02.2011 Prague Hypnotherapy

Quote: Prague HypnotherapyDon't hold your breath. Years of 'drive safely' ads have done nothing to improve Czech driving.

Is deaths down by one third in three years really nothing?

16:23:08 09.02.2011 mxp_banned

Fatality figures are like crime figures, never to be taken at face value. For instance, better rescue equipment, improved emergency protocol, removing old cars off the road, improved safety with airbags, ABS,etc, etc, will lower the death rate. Nothing to do with the actual standard of driving. Correlation does not imply causation.

Quote: mxp_bannedIs deaths down by one third in three years really nothing?

17:35:09 09.02.2011 Prague Hypnotherapy

The death rate is holding pretty steady at about 100%. Been that way as long as I can remember.

18:53:24 09.02.2011 eurodep

A free English lesson for you: death rate n. The ratio of total deaths to total population in a specified community or area over a specified period of time. Thus, 100% death rate means the end of life as we know it, Jim. :cool:

Quote: eurodepThe death rate is holding pretty steady at about 100%. Been that way as long as I can remember.

20:35:02 09.02.2011 Prague Hypnotherapy

Quote: Prague HypnotherapyFatality figures are like crime figures, never to be taken at face value. For instance, better rescue equipment, improved emergency protocol, removing old cars off the road, improved safety with airbags, ABS,etc, etc, will lower the death rate. Nothing to do with the actual standard of driving. Correlation does not imply causation.

So you saw Czechs buying new cars like mad and government funnelling massive investments into emergency services in the last couple of years, right? I don't think so.

20:54:24 09.02.2011 mxp_banned

An average car will spew out more pollution in an average day's driving than an average smoker will in a lifetime. Now stick that in your pipe and smoke it. ;)

22:01:29 09.02.2011 meddo

The Post hoc ergo propter hoc fallacy.

Quote: mxp_bannedSo you saw Czechs buying new cars like mad and government funnelling massive investments into emergency services in the last couple of years, right? I don't think so.

22:25:48 09.02.2011 Prague Hypnotherapy

Quote: meddoAn average car will spew out more pollution in an average day's driving than an average smoker will in a lifetime. Now stick that in your pipe and smoke it. ;)

Exactly. So as cars run on the streets and not indoors, why not follow that simple rule and smoke out on the streets and leave the pubs and bars smoke free?

23:08:13 09.02.2011 sachsen

Quote: Prague HypnotherapyA free English lesson for you: death rate n. The ratio of total deaths to total population in a specified community or area over a specified period of time. Thus, 100% death rate means the end of life as we know it, Jim. :cool:

LOL....nice one Hypno...

23:11:31 09.02.2011 Edvar

Quote: sachsenExactly. So as cars run on the streets and not indoors, why not follow that simple rule and smoke out on the streets and leave the pubs and bars smoke free?

But I'm complaining that when I walk outside vehicles are blasting carbon monoxide, etc into my lungs.

23:20:30 10.02.2011 meddo

Quote: meddoBut I'm complaining that when I walk outside vehicles are blasting carbon monoxide, etc into my lungs.

Right, so is my experience. That's why I stick to Pedestrian zones ;)

10:47:35 11.02.2011 sachsen

... http://www.tntmagazine.com/tnt-today/archive/2011/02/24/Air-pollution-causes-more-heart-attacks-than-cocaine.aspx

11:14:33 25.02.2011 meddo