Expats.cz

Czech Republic Older Expatriates? (http://www.expats.cz/prague/showthread.php?t=348981)

Kenny1948 11-10-11 06:55 PM

Older Expatriates?

I am considering a move to Prague. I am now 63 and a gay male. I'm not looking for the "gay scene" just wondering if I would be comfortable living in Prague. I have visited, and had a pleasant time. That however was just a visit. I am concerned about both my age, and my sexual preference. I like Prague for it's architecture and sights. Not particularly looking for any kind of "party" scene. Simply me and my pooch, taking photos and exploring the scenery. But it would be nice to have some friends as well!:)

Yvan 13-10-11 12:03 PM

There is one big question which is very important for those who are thinking about retirement life in the Czech republic or any other country with a different currency.
This question is the future development of the exchange rates between the currency you have your income/pension in and the currency you are paying for your life expences.
It could change in a very dramatic way within a couple of years or even decades.
If you aren't prepare for that then it could be a problem.

In the following charts you can see that the number of CZK you get for 1 USD or 1 GBP droped down for more then 50 % during within the last 10 years (the difference between the maximum and minimum).
With 1 EUR the dropping was about 32 % only during the last 10 years.
In any case it could make a big difference in your financial life and finacial happyness.

CZK per 1 USD rate history for the last 10 years
http://www.xe.com/currencycharts/?f...to=CZK&view=10Y

CZK per 1 EUR rate history for the last 10 years

CZK per 1 GBP rate history for the last 10 years

JIZEK 13-10-11 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny1948
I am considering a move to Prague. I am now 63 and a gay male. I'm not looking for the "gay scene" just wondering if I would be comfortable living in Prague. I have visited, and had a pleasant time. That however was just a visit. I am concerned about both my age, and my sexual preference. I like Prague for it's architecture and sights. Not particularly looking for any kind of "party" scene. Simply me and my pooch, taking photos and exploring the scenery. But it would be nice to have some friends as well!:)

im sure you´d have a great time, and find friends. There is a ´scene´for everyone.

abirnbau 13-10-11 11:47 PM

My limited experience here as a 53 year old man living alone (currently) is that the Czechs are a very accepting, if sometimes indifferent, people. As a gay man you might like Vinorhady but I'm sure there are other areas equally open to all lifestyles.

The glow of being a tourist will fade but it will most likely be replaced by an appreciation for a very liveable city that will offer up more than its fair share of culture, food, festivities, and simple pleasures.

For dogs this is the best city in the world as the Czechs simply adore their canines.

Good luck.

JIZEK 14-10-11 08:06 AM

indeed vinohrady is the Gay capital area, but that doesn´t mean all Gay people want to live where all the gay clubs and bars are, thats not a scene for everyone, and you certainly don´t have to live around that just because you´re gay, funny how people assume ..... oh don´t get me started.......lol :-)

JKG 14-10-11 05:44 PM

I wonder why you think age or sexual preference would make any difference. To be frank I can't see why anyone would care about either.

The only difference I could see is that maybe you are retired, in which case you don't have the issue of commuting to work, which actually then gives you more freedom on where to live and more time to enjoy the stuff you want to do.

But Prague (IMO) is one of those places where just about anyone can be happy.

enjoy...

Builder Bewilder 14-10-11 06:17 PM

Vinohrady, AKA 'The Gaybourhood'.