Expats.cz

Czech Republic What is balánský sýr??? (http://www.expats.cz/prague/showthread.php?t=166088)

fraulein 24-11-07 10:49 PM

What is balánský sýr???

Hello...

Can anyone enlighten me on what is the meaning of balánský sýr in English? I am looking for Feta cheese and I am not sure if this is the one.

Thanks for your help!! :)

Jen 24-11-07 10:55 PM

Balkansky syr is pretty much the same thing as feta. I've found real feta at the cheese counters of most decent grocery stores, as well.

maxd 24-11-07 10:56 PM

yep, from the Balkans. Delicious.

fraulein 24-11-07 10:57 PM

Thanks Jen!! You've been a great help.. :-)

and thanks to Maxd too...will try this cheese next time..:D

moanfunky 24-11-07 11:14 PM

Balkansky syr is harder and saltier than Greek feta cheese, but it's very inexpensive and not bad. You can get real Greek feta, as well as thick strained Greek yogurt, excellent olives and other good stuff, at Olympia Delikatesy a Vína, Radhoštská 1, Vinohrady.

charlie 24-11-07 11:20 PM

Balkansky syr, if left for several hours to marinade in oil, vinegar, lemon juice, herbs and spices can be pretty good, but straight out of the packet it's not so good.

wegga 25-11-07 01:24 AM

"balkansky syr" is czech invention, pretty awful stuff.
I guess they were trying to produce a cheese similar to cheese they have seen on "šopsky salat" on Jadran holidays. There is no such thing as balkan cheese anywhere on balkans.
Balkan countries produce dozen of kinds, all of them much better quality and not so salty and so bad as "balkansky syr". That's no feta either, feta is more creamy, ticker. Real cheese from balkan is something between mozzarela and feta. Delicious and mild. Or you can get mature kinds, but they are not just salty cubes, they are delicious for starters and savoury dishes.

charlie 25-11-07 11:17 AM

Hi Wegga, sounds delicious, know anywhere in Prague that sells it?

fraulein 25-11-07 02:01 PM

hmm.. thanks for the tips guys.. really appreciate it.

and moanfunky thanks for the tip on Olympia Delikatesy a Vína.. will check this out soon.. :-)

BGI 28-11-07 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wegga
"balkansky syr" is czech invention, pretty awful stuff.
I guess they were trying to produce a cheese similar to cheese they have seen on "šopsky salat" on Jadran holidays. There is no such thing as balkan cheese anywhere on balkans.
Balkan countries produce dozen of kinds, all of them much better quality and not so salty and so bad as "balkansky syr". That's no feta either, feta is more creamy, ticker. Real cheese from balkan is something between mozzarela and feta. Delicious and mild. Or you can get mature kinds, but they are not just salty cubes, they are delicious for starters and savoury dishes.

Just for the record, sopski salat is pure Bulgarian thing (Shopsko is the region around Sofia), although variations are seen across the countries under different names, of course. The thing that makes sopski to differ from the rest is a, the grated cheese and b the specific type of cheese used.
CR Balkansky sir is actually a commie days remainder and if going in the scientific direction it should be reffered to the Bulgarian type of white cheese, the exactly one from cow milk. Due to the recipt used here and the past imoprts. It looks like fetta but its milder and grainier. Its only visually close to mozarella but in the past couple of years, cheaty producers to make more money started put on the market unmature but strenghten with gelatine cheeses. Therefore some people might get confused. The original has some specific slight buttery mouthwatering taste and goes excllent (along with sopski s.) as pure, with toast, fillo pastry, tomato salads, in pergament, or in clay pot. Its not good for cooking.
The one you can find in the stores here is 90% salty crap. Sometimes they import (most Tesco) but is very, very rare this days.

TexHomeGrown 30-11-07 02:52 PM

A good Feta-Cheese recipe is:

1. Cut 1 large beefsteak tomato,

2.Crumble (not too small) a thick slice of Feta-cheese slightly larger than a pack of cigarettes.

3. Place tomato cubes, then Feta into a small baking dish, sprinkle with oregano and olive oil and bake at 200 centigrade for about 25 minutes.

Jon 'Half-Pint' Smith 30-11-07 03:01 PM

Balkansky surely?

skotik 30-11-07 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon 'Half-Pint' Smith
Balkansky surely?

surely a bit pedantic for someone that has already posted the threads:

Excellent Flight Attendant Speach ...

Falling alseep at the game (BM)

today. (and those were in English). :rolleyes:

Jon 'Half-Pint' Smith 30-11-07 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skotik
surely a bit pedantic

Must have been for you to call me pedantic ...

fraulein 30-11-07 03:34 PM

Quote:
Balkansky surely?

mmm. actually yeah.. balkansky. Apologies for my ignorance..:o

Jon 'Half-Pint' Smith 30-11-07 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fraulein
mmm. actually yeah.. balkansky. Apologies for my ignorance..:o

Ignore me ... I'll go away after a while ;)

fraulein 30-11-07 03:44 PM

Quote:
Ignore me ... I'll go away after a while ;)

:D

annemarie 30-11-07 04:00 PM

That bake works well with aubergines and corgettes too.

fraulein 30-11-07 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annemarie

Mmmmm...aubergines.... YUMMY!

TexHomeGrown 01-12-07 04:38 PM

Sounds good with Aubergines but what are corgettes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by annemarie

charlie 01-12-07 07:44 PM

I believe you Americans refer to them as zucchini (cuketa in Czech).