The Faculty of Social Sciences (FSV UK) is a part of one of the oldest and largest universities in the world which was founded in 1348 by Holy Roman Emperor Charles IV.
Nowadays, Charles University (CU) is No. 1 in the Czech Republic according to The Academic Ranking of World Universities. In the "Webometrics Ranking of World Universities" Charles University ranks as #1 in Central and Eastern Europe and as #31 in whole Europe. In the Shanghai University's Academic Ranking of World Universities, which evaluates over 1,000 top universities, Charles University was placed in the top 300 among the world´s 2% top universities and the 100 top European universities. It is the only Czech institution of higher education to be placed in the published list of 500 universities.
Shortly after its creation in 1990, FSV UK became a regional centre of teaching and research in economics, international relations, area studies, sociology, political science, journalism and media studies. FSV UK offers some of the highest quality Bachelor´s, Master´s and PhD degree programmes in Central and Eastern Europe in all fields of social sciences.
Currently the Faculty has around 4 000 full-time students. About 200 of them are enrolled in one of our English Language Degree Programmes, fully accredited by the Czech Ministry of Education. These are:
Bachelor´s Degree Programmes:
• Bachelor in Economics and Finance (BEF)
Master´s Degree Programmes:
• Master in Economics and Finance (MEF)
• International Economic and Political Studies (IEPS)
• Corporate Strategy and Finance in Europe (CSF): double
degree programme in partnership with University of
• Balkan, Eurasian and Central European Studies
• Central European Comparative Studies (CECS)
• European Studies (ES)
• International Masters in Economy, State and
Society (IMESS): double degree programme in
partnership with the University College London
School of Slavonic and East European Studies
• Transatlantic Studies (TS)
• Geopolitical Studies (GPS)
• Master in International Security Studies (MISS)
• Public and Social Policy (PSP)
• Sociology in European Context (SEC)
• Master in International Relations (MAIN)
FSV UK has one of the highest international mobility participation rates of all the faculties at Charles University. Each year, we welcome more than 500 exchange students from all over the world.
The application deadline for academic year 2016/2017 is 30th April 2016, the early admissions deadline is 29th February 2016. The early admissions deadline is strongly recommended for students from non-EU or non-EFTA countries who will need a student visa in order to study in the Czech Republic.