Czech Gulas Recipe
Serve with bread dumplings, available in Czech only,unless you make them yourself
Gulas [goulash] oiginally hungarian food, but became, in it's many variations, a czech one, or maybe I should say an Eastern European one.
You need (approx. 5 servings):
- 2lbs(1kg) very lean, nice beef (libove hovezi maso), cubed into about one inch (2cm) chunks
- 2lbs (1kg) of yellow onions (cibule), chopped, it could be less, depending on your tastes
- garlic (cesnek), again, use as much a you like, but for this amount, you should use at least 5 cloves, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons of paprika spice (paprika), hungarian dark red sweet paprika, available in the USA also, use more if you want
- 1 1/2 teaspoon of whole marjoram (majoranka)
- 1 1/2 teaspoon of caraway seeds (kmin)
- pepper to taste (pepr)
- salt to taste (sul)
- flower (mouka)
Optional, but not neccessary ingredients:
- 6 large cubed Yukon gold potatoes (in USA), or whatever kind you find in stores in Praha (brambory)
- 2 cubed tomatoes (rajcata)
- 1 bell pepper, chopped (paprika)
- hot sauce or Tabasco
Cube or chop all you can, in a large pot (this is a large amount of food you will be making...) saute onions and garlic untill onions start to be golden and fall apart.
Add meat, fry for about 3 minutes. Add salt, pepper, marjoram, caraway seeds and paprika and saute for another 3 minutes. If you want, at this point add Tobasco, tomatoes and bell pepper. Or add only potatoes.Remember, this will increase the amount of foor you are making significantly, bringing it up to about 7-8 servings.
If the sauce forms and is too thick, add a bit of water to loosen up. If it is too watery, add a teaspoon of flower mixed with a bit of water to thicken. Repeat until the consistency of the sauce is as desired. Flavour to taste with more of paprika, marjoram, caraway seeds, salt and pepper.
Serve with bread dumplings (houskove knedliky), available in Czech only,unless you make them yourself, shaped pasta (kolinka), potato dumplings (bramborove knedliky-you can get them in a powder form, even in the USA, KUHNE Potatoe Dumplings), potatoes (unless you added them in already, or simply dark bread (cerny chleba). Or for a more German version serve with potatoe pancakes (bramborove placky) slathered with apple sauce (jablecna presnidavka-baby food section).
Cucumber salad (okurkovy salat) and heavier red vine(Frankovka) go well with it.
I usually make a lot of it, because for some reason it gets better the more you reheat it. And when I tire of the gulas, I dillute it, add other veggies such as carrots (mrkev), brocoli (brokolice), potatoes, beans (fazole), lentil (cocka), even sauerkraut (kysele zeli), and make it into a soup. You can also spice the soup by adding allspice (nove koreni) and bay leaves(bobkovy list).
Written by Hellenka for Expats.cz
Hellenka is a Czech Native, living in the USA.
ASSOCIATED Entertainment LISTING
Please log in to leave a comment or leave comment as guest